U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:51 PM

43 posts, read 31,492 times
Default How do I report an illegal immigrant staying in Canada?

I'm just wondering how I can report an illegal immigrant who is currently working in Montreal illegally? He is a US citizen and moved out to Canada about 7 months ago (late May, early June). I know the 1st 6 months is legal, but after that you are considered illegal. Is there a way I can be anonymous when reporting this person? What are the chances that there will be action taken on him and this issue? He says that he is waiting for his paperwork, but as of now he is illegally here, does not have a registered car and is getting paid illegally. Also, is it true that it's a lot harder to become a citizen in Canada now? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 03:59 AM

19,373 posts, read 13,792,407 times
Why would you want to bring all this trouble down on this individual?
Why not just leave him alone?
Whats it to you?
Maybe if you fill us in on the rest of the story we might be a bit more sympathetic to your need to rain down bureaucratic hell on this guy.
From the info provided in your post i'd say its not your business.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:37 AM

20 posts, read 32,943 times
what he is saying may be right. I used to have a work permit. Workpermits are issues for a limited period of time. It has to be renewed before it expires. All I had to do was to send the paperwork before the expiry date. Once the government receives the extension application before the due date, they consider the applicant legal until the a decision is made on his workpermit extension application.

example:
workpermit expires in June
I sent the application at the end of May
Canadian gov. made a decision around August.
This means I can work until August. It is legal.

So, there is a possibility that everything is legal.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 AM

111 posts, read 139,346 times
Is he doing any criminal activity (other than overstaying a visa)?
If not, leave him alone.
There are more important things to worry about.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
Is he doing any criminal activity (other than overstaying a visa)?
If not, leave him alone.
There are more important things to worry about.
Theres more to this story than LusciousEyes is telling us.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:19 PM

2,510 posts, read 4,036,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Theres more to this story than LusciousEyes is telling us.
I agree and I bet it involves being 'scorned' on some level.

LusciousEyes, why don't you just live and let live? He may be legitmately in the process of getting things together regarding his papers and you may look foolish if you interfere in something that's not your business. There are much more serious issues these authorities should be spending their time on.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 AM

6 posts, read 16,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusciousEyes View Post
I'm just wondering how I can report an illegal immigrant who is currently working in Montreal illegally? He is a US citizen and moved out to Canada about 7 months ago (late May, early June). I know the 1st 6 months is legal, but after that you are considered illegal. Is there a way I can be anonymous when reporting this person? What are the chances that there will be action taken on him and this issue? He says that he is waiting for his paperwork, but as of now he is illegally here, does not have a registered car and is getting paid illegally. Also, is it true that it's a lot harder to become a citizen in Canada now? Thank you!
Quote:
I'm an elementary school teacher here in California with a masters degree and my credentials. I really love it here with great pay and benefits but my fiance is French Canadian and wants me to move there with him. I don't really know French (took it in high school but forgot after not speaking for several years) and I am aware that the schooling system is different up there. When I do move there, am I going to have trouble finding a job or getting the Quebec Provence credentials to teach? Do I really have to learn French all over again? I really don't want to waste a year or two not working and instead having to go back to school to learn the language. I'm not worried about becoming a citizen since I know I will after we get married but I'm afraid that once I move, they may not assign me with credentials and all my hard work of schooling is going to go to waste. Can't I get credentials and teach at an English speaking school instead? Please help! I would really appreciate it. Thanks
bad girl !
What Goes Around... Comes Around

Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 AM

2,510 posts, read 4,036,424 times
Zagreb, what does that second quote have to do with this thread?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 AM

8,684 posts, read 4,126,898 times
How could you possibely be such a trouble maker? What a horrible thing you are thinking of doing. Your desire to remain anonomous should tell you something!!!! You want to rat the person out and not take any credit for it. What's up with that???

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
my fiance is French Canadian and wants me to move there with him.

If this supposed person is your ex fiance and is French Canadian. he maybe totally legit to remain in Canada..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal