Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Point taken, as long as they are aware that Crescent isn't the only place to visit bars/clubs. I've also met people who got a terrible impression of Montreal's party scene because the only place they visited was Crescent.

If they want to do what almost every single American aged 18 - 21 does when visiting Montréal (Let's go to Montréal and get wasted LOLOLOL!) Then sure they can go to Crescent and they will find half of Poughkeepsie, NY there, but the city has more to offer, and not giving St. Denis a chance would be a terrible mistake IMO.

To each their own I guess, that's the good thing about Montréal, there's something for everyone
This is so true, and made me laugh out loud. In some parts of downtown Montreal on the weekend it feels like you stumbled onto the set of the movie "American Pie" or something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 919 times
Default Buonanotte Violence

Saturday Night:

It was a huge, huge disappointment at Buonanotte that night. Our group books their usual dinner there for the past 5 years and as usual the food was garbage. I don't think that Buona knows how to cook seafood because every year it comes out of the kitchen raw and people get sick from it. That place is as over-rated as Heikki Kovalainen. The even worse 20% / 80% girls-to-guys ratio was truly pathetic and what seemed to be a common theme this year at these trendy St. Laurent supperclubs - BooHogs, Whuures and Old Goats.

The bad night continued to go downhill rapidly when a Buona waiter got stabbed with a knife and taken to the hospital, (maybe the customer didn't like their seafood) and another patron setting off a toxic pepper gas bomb and clearing everyone out of the place early. Hence, no customer had the ability to finish their bottle service, receive their bill, and pay their tab because the incompetent doormen couldn't understand this simple equation which is probably why they are only capable of being a doorman in the first place. lol

To add even more salt-to-the-wound, the next day Buonanotte management thought it was a good idea to call up and insult and berate all the people whom couldn't possibly pay their tab. Wouldn't any "smart" restauranteur realize that many, (if not all) of the clients were forced to leave with open tabs when the restaurant's own security didn't let the people back in to settle up based on the fact that their security team couldn't do their jobs correctly by detecting nor preventing a toxic gas bomb from going off in a crowded place. Not only that, but insult clients such as us whom have done their stupid dinners and bottle service every year for the past 5 Grands Prix. Do they need to be reminded that the total tab was over $3,000.oo or do they not care about that either? It was a grandiose display of the "Typically Terrible Canadian Customer Service" which is so predominant in this city. By far Montreal consistently has the worst customer service that I've seen in any of the countries I've been in, and this is the consensus view by many others I've asked.

We spent some time at Wood 35 which was okay, a few cute Rabbits and Piglets bouncing around, but still a debilitating 30% / 70% girls-to-guys crowd and the terrasse was half-full yet the small bar on it had like no stock of booze and no one recognized that poor preparation so nothing was done about it. We then went to the old Koko Lounge, (now Jargo) which was pretty good actually, lots of people, an okay 40% / 60% ratio, good music and a late close, probably 3:45 am by the time they really kicked everyone out of there. But now I think we should have just went to Rouge instead, its usually a guaranteed good Saturday nightspot.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 919 times
Default Velvet Screw Up Job

Grand Prix Sunday Night:

After our group of 10 each pre-paid the $50.00 Momentum ticket for Velvet in Old Port, we thought that it would be a guaranteed entrance without any hassle. We couldn't believe how much L'Auberge screwed up on this one. Luckily 6 party-goers out of our group decided to eat dinner there and just stayed in there with bottle service despite having bought the $50.00 ticket which may or may not have been needed at that point I don't know. But I do know that even if you bought that ticket that it was worthless as they didn't even let you in anyways! With 3 of us skipping dinner and showing up at 11:30 pm there was 2 short lines (only 30 people in each) on both sides of the entrance one for the guestlist and the other for ticket holders.

We thought that all ticket holders would be let in because if a business is providing a product or service and sells you a ticket to it, it becomes a legal-binding contract for both parties. But for no good reason at all the ticket holders line and the guestlist line were not moving whatsoever and for the rest of the night! Various groups of people known by some of the bar's management were immediately let in as the appeared. Yet there were long periods of 10 to 15 minutes of waiting when no one was being let in at all until those friend groups showed up. The guy in front of me whom was the first guy in line because I literally cut the whole queue told me that he has been standing there for 40 minutes. The first ticket holder there, he didn't get in.

The 2 door girls with guestlist clipboards were totally lost and absolutely useless. Meanwhile they had a pocket full of maybe 100 purple and white wristbands hanging out of their skirt pockets and didn't hand out 1 of them to anyone. So after waiting 1 full hour with say only 30 people of their closest friends being let in, all of the bouncers closed down the entrance and told everyone to go home. After many ticket holders complained one of the bouncers announced to the crowd to come back tomorrow afternoon to get their $50.00 reimbursed. How can someone bother with that when they have their flight back to Europe or Asia.

The persistent person that I am, I wasn't taking 'no' for an answer as usual and had to talk to whatever level necessary to get us inside which eventually worked only because our group already had dinner in there. The doorguy didn't even ask me for a ticket but I blurted it out too soon that we had them just to get us in, which he took them, so I still don't even know if they were a necessary purchase, and probably not if you have dinner in there beforehand. I feel angry and sorry for all the ticket holders whom were turned away.

So...we get inside, finally made it through that ridiculous battle. And I couldn't believe my eyes...half of the bar was completely empty...empty! What the freakin' hell did 100 people out there wait for when it was totally unnecessary? That massive room at the left with a huge bar at the back was completely set up with bartenders and some breads or cheese snacks whatever against the entrance wall. But there were no patrons in it at all. You could have easily put 100 people in that room alone, the entire amount of people outside waiting without packing it in beyond capacity, and that doesn't include the whole front terrasse (on both sides) nor the front lounge area in the foyer which also had nobody in it...zero. I just can't believe it!

I do not see nor understand the absolutely poor reasoning behind these very poor management decisions besides the local police forcing a very strict person count which was far, far under the overall capacity and fire code of the building. Every waiting patron outside could have been very happy in spending $1,000's of dollars in bottle services if the bar's management and/or the police were more accommodating. This has undoubtedly ruined some people's Grand Prix weekend, and probably some very important people in the Grand Prix fraternity or local community, but thankfully not mine, but only because I lucked out that night.

Unnecessary tight security was as prevalent inside as it was outside. You had to get a tiny triangular stamp to go downstairs into the dungeon dance floor which I had to fight for but got my stamp in the end. And then once down in there, there was another bouncer and rope quartering off the Mercedes party in the corner. I wonder how the Code 20 party at Cavalli was Sunday. I would imagine all F1 personnel upstairs and all locals downstairs with bouncer / rope separation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal