Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 02:58 PM

177 posts, read 410,361 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a great spot to spend a week next December up in the Montreal vicinity. It will be an 10-year anniversary getaway for my wife and I - our first kid-free vacation in over 7 years. So, i'm looking for a place where I can rent a small cabin/chalet/cottage for a week and enjoy serene, quiet, beautiful nature, and still have the option of a small town to explore. Also, since we're talking December, snowshoeing and/or ice skating are great activities for us.

We're driving from the Portland, ME area and probably want to limit ourselves to a 7 hour drive maximum.

thanks for any help!

Also, New Brunswick is an option too. I've never been up in that area and I imagine it's very pretty.

Last edited by rossco17; 01-27-2012 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Mont Tremblant area and the area around Montebello are ideal for what you're looking for, my parent's enjoyed both. From what I've heard, Montebello seems the slightly more appealing option, but Mont Tremblant is a decent choice.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:24 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Mont Tremblant area and the area around Montebello are ideal for what you're looking for, my parent's enjoyed both. From what I've heard, Montebello seems the slightly more appealing option, but Mont Tremblant is a decent choice.
Montebello as you say is definitely the more tranquil of the two areas. Fairmont Montebello (still the largest log cabin in the world?) is a full service resort - rustic chic . Sister resort area Montebello Accommodation: Fairmont Kenauk is a series of cabins - not cheap but gorgeous and would offer the tranquility the OP is seeking.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Driving up to Montreal so you can enjoy the tranquility of a cabin in the woods 100 miles north of the city? seems like you could do the same thing in Vermont,NH, or Maine
New Brunswick has some nice beaches around Shediac, Kouchebegouc, and some nice seaside scenery up the Fundy coast, trouble is its all kinda shut down for the winter..
Lots of winter cabin potential in the Adirondacks..Google

Old 01-30-2012, 02:04 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a great spot to spend a week next December up in the Montreal vicinity. It will be an 10-year anniversary getaway for my wife and I - our first kid-free vacation in over 7 years. So, i'm looking for a place where I can rent a small cabin/chalet/cottage for a week and enjoy serene, quiet, beautiful nature, and still have the option of a small town to explore. Also, since we're talking December, snowshoeing and/or ice skating are great activities for us.

We're driving from the Portland, ME area and probably want to limit ourselves to a 7 hour drive maximum.
Portland ME - Montreal (Centre-ville), around 6 hours
Montreal - Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade, another 2 hours approximately

Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade is the World Capital of the tom-cod ice fishing
(starting December 26 to February).
Sainte-Anne-de-la-Prade Tourism, Quebec, Canada :: Lodging
Wintertime Fishing resort Gaetan Portelance for tomcod at December activities cabins 24/7

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
A bit surprised nobody has mentioned Magog yet, it's about 90 minutes East of Montreal but would be much more convenient from Portland, ME. The town itself is pretty quiet during the winter but there are many many quiet options in Southeastern Quebec --

(obviously add snow to that lol)

Old 02-01-2012, 02:19 PM

252 posts, read 735,869 times
I agree, Memphremagog area is very nice and it's just north of the Vermont border.

By the way that mountain behind the abbey in the photo is Owl's Head.
A fantastic ski area, if you're into skiing

The Laurentians north of Montreal would be a good option too,
lot's of chalets for rent. Again, great skiing too.

I personally like Quebec City. There's no place like it.
If I had the money, I'd stay at the Chateau Frontenac, spectacular setting hotel, magical setting They have a big winter carnival in February

Last edited by philobeddoe; 02-01-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM

177 posts, read 410,361 times
Wow, thanks everyone for the great insight. I would like to do some skiing - is Mont Tremblant the best ski area in Quebec or are there any others that are nearly as good and less well-known?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM

252 posts, read 735,869 times
Mont Tremblant is the definitely best known and offers very good skiing,
2131ft vertical drop and a resort "village" with lots of apres ski fun

Also in the Laurentians, I like Mont Garceau and Gray Rocks Resort.

The Eastern Townships east of Montreal has IMO some of the best skiing
in Quebec, Mont Sutton, Mont Orford, Owl's Head and Mont Glen.

Quebec City area has 3 excellent ski areas to choose from,

Mont Ste Anne, just east of Quebec City with 2068ft vertical drop

Stoneham Mountain resort north of the city with 1380ft vertical drop.

And farther east, Le Massif, longest vertical drop of 2530ft, amazing views of St Lawrence River , you can stay at nearby Le Manoir Richelieu.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
Mont Tremblant is the definitely best known and offers very good skiing,
2131ft vertical drop and a resort "village" with lots of apres ski fun

Also in the Laurentians, I like Mont Garceau and Gray Rocks Resort.

The Eastern Townships east of Montreal has IMO some of the best skiing
in Quebec, Mont Sutton, Mont Orford, Owl's Head and Mont Glen.

Quebec City area has 3 excellent ski areas to choose from,

Mont Ste Anne, just east of Quebec City with 2068ft vertical drop

Stoneham Mountain resort north of the city with 1380ft vertical drop.

And farther east, Le Massif, longest vertical drop of 2530ft, amazing views of St Lawrence River , you can stay at nearby Le Manoir Richelieu.
agree with that list, you can't go wrong with any of those 3 areas (though the Laurentians are definitely the most crowded). Le Massif (45-60 minutes East of Quebec City) is the most beautiful place to ski though --

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal