Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:46 PM

110 posts, read 620,951 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone has left Montreal for whatever reason only to come back to the city a few or several years later. We are all aware that many people left Montreal for various reasons such as political, language, weather or economical reasons but what we don't hear very often is people who moved back to the city. And i know there are plenty of them, it's just that we don't hear them much.

So, if it's your case then i would like to hear why you moved out and then why you moved back in without going into personal details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 AM

832 posts, read 1,255,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
I would like to know if anyone has left Montreal for whatever reason only to come back to the city a few or several years later. We are all aware that many people left Montreal for various reasons such as political, language, weather or economical reasons but what we don't hear very often is people who moved back to the city. And i know there are plenty of them, it's just that we don't hear them much.

So, if it's your case then i would like to hear why you moved out and then why you moved back in without going into personal details.
Well, the reason we don't hear them is because when you live, you pump your chest & brag.. But then realize that you were wrong, get a low profile & come back...

kind of like me (planing to go back)

I want to move back because the universities are way cheaper (I moved to the Boston area), No fear of crime at anygiven time of the day or night... cheap medical systeme, no hoodrats or ghetto trash (don't bring that racism crap, i'm black...), you won't fear getting shot arguing with a stranger, you won't see no robery at the bank, liquor store (crime as a whole), green places, parks, free summer pools, cheap living cost & more important... : THE APPLE-MANGO combo juice... I've been dying to find one in USA but can see it & this juice was so GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOd...

Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Hey Jayo2k. Thanks for the reply but i want to know a few things.

Are you originally from Montreal ?

And why did you move in the first place ?

I understand your concern about ghetto life and crime rates as it is also a huge concern of mine but while Montreal is not as bad as most US cities it is still not exempt from it, unfortunately.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM

832 posts, read 1,255,367 times
Quote:
Hey Jayo2k. Thanks for the reply but i want to know a few things.

Are you originally from Montreal ?

And why did you move in the first place ?

I understand your concern about ghetto life and crime rates as it is also a huge concern of mine but while Montreal is not as bad as most US cities it is still not exempt from it, unfortunately.
hey.
In fact I grew up in France but went to Montreal because I always wanted to live in north america (Europe is a complete mess now) & I choosed Montreal because it would be cheaper for me to study ($2 168.00 per year) & easier because of the french language.

About the ghetto life, sure there is some "bad spot" but not as bad as american ones, & honestly, montreal bad place are a joke... sure things happen but not like the US ghetto.
For instance, Montreal has more than 1 million peoples than Boston but has less murders..

& While I was there in côte-des-neiges neighbourhood which is labeled as a bad one.. I never saw anything... I just heard 1 story about a teen who died in the shopping mall next to my place after a brawl...
But honnestly, I never felt unsafe walking alone deep at night, you can browse radio-canada.ca & you will barely see any crime reported... only 39 murders in 2011 for 1.9 million people aera

Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM

167 posts, read 856,958 times
Wow, this makes me want to go back to Montreal! I was not born or raised there. I moved there in my mid 20s. Moved back to Ontario for my parents' benefit, but eventually moved back to Montreal, this time settling in the suburbs of the West Island. I didn't realize how nice it was until I left. I loved living in all areas. It's just that I'm not a winter person. Montreal, like much of Canada has long cold snowy winters and short hot summers. Not like Quebec City, much more wintery, but still, too much for my liking. I loved everything in French, the more liberal attitudes, the parks, the low crime rate, and the good vibe. I'm in the process of moving out west to Victoria BC for the milder weather. If Montreal had Victoria's weather, it would be perfect!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:15 PM

I'm still interested in hearing of some people who moved back to Montreal after living abroad.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
About the ghetto life, sure there is some "bad spot" but not as bad as american ones, & honestly, montreal bad place are a joke... sure things happen but not like the US ghetto.
For instance, Montreal has more than 1 million peoples than Boston but has less murders..

Montreal doesn't even have any ghettos. If you Google it, you'll come up with the McGill ghetto, but it's a desirable and expensive place to live, about as far from a ghetto as you can get.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

I was born in Montreal, but I left three times. Once to go live in the USSR to be with my family.
Once to go live in the Bahamas on a sailboat, doing air-sea rescue,
Once when I got married and moved to the US because I married an American.

I always come home to Montreal...it's home. I love this city. It has a vibrancy and joie de vivre you'll find nowhere else.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,687 times
I was born here but my father was transferred to Ontario when I was in grade 2. I returned 39 years later!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:06 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I always come home to Montreal...it's home. I love this city. It has a vibrancy and joie de vivre you'll find nowhere else.
I agree! There's just something about this ville that makes me extremely happy. I've lived in a few places and the only cities that I would ever return to are Montreal and Berlin. I cried when I left Berlin then cried again when I arrived back in MTL! And I don't often cry..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal