U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Status: "No, no eipäs ammuskella siellä Donetskissa tollai" (set 1 day ago)

4,815 posts, read 4,130,958 times
Default The low spectator capacity in Bell Centre during concerts

Bell Centre is a huge arena with capacity for hockey 21,273.

Never been there though but from information online I've noticed that it has a very low capacity during concerts.

For example,

Rihanna concert at Bell Centre only 10.778 tickets available but her concert at Staples Center in LA had 19,992 tickets available and Staples is a smaller arena. These were end stage concerts and the stage size was same in both venues. Rihanna is not the only example. A common size arena stage altough they varies a bit in size should not reduce the capacity so drastic as it does in Bell Centre.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-26-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM

810 posts, read 894,842 times
Arena's are built for sight lines not sound. They likely setup to only use a portion of the seating. Rogers center in toronto for example sets up big curtains and only uses a fraction of the stadium so people get some decent sound.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Status: "No, no eipäs ammuskella siellä Donetskissa tollai" (set 1 day ago)

4,815 posts, read 4,130,958 times
That makes sense. Maybe the acoustics are especially bad at Bell Centre.

Thanks.

Found this link now,

http://centrebell.ca/en/page/venue_specifications

The positioning of the curtains improves the ambiance and sound of any show.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-26-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,858,706 times
I used to work there at events, as a St. John Ambulance Volunteer. They basically cut the room in half, making it an amphitheatre. In this way, the performer is on a stage with a curtain to their back, and there's room for backstage area, which is important for doing a concert properly. It also means that the musicians don't have their backs facing any part of the audience, which you can imagine is important.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 892 times
I find the bell centre has terrible acoustics unless your right be the stage. I've seen rush there twice and the first time was great on the floor but last April we were in the grey section right beside the stage and and almost at the top, we couldn't hear anything but the vocals and the drums. The only way I knew the guitar is I play guitar but there's a reason why the nosebleeds are only $79 and the floor is $400. I find this a terrible place for concerts.

PS: it sucks driving for 16 hours for a concert, only for you to not understand any of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal