Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yes NYC has its own Income tax that you pay in addition to State and Federal.
In this case, I highly doubt it is a low-tax, low-cost place to live compared to Montreal... Of course, there you do have the option of living outside the city limits in NY state or in NJ or CT to lower your taxes and overall living costs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In this case, I highly doubt it is a low-tax, low-cost place to live compared to Montreal... Of course, there you do have the option of living outside the city limits in NY state or in NJ or CT to lower your taxes and overall living costs.
No one would ever accuse NYC of being a low cost-low tax location

I will say this much, the Federal Government in the US is alot more generous than the Canadian government when it comes to exemptions and deductions, especially if you are a homeowner.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 68,504 times
Can you please tell me what kind of income tax credits (benefits) can I get in Quebec, with a baby and a wife who doesn't work. In States I pay less tax because I have a baby and my wife doesn't work (so i file jointly and get good tax rebate). Are there such tax rebates in Quebec? I heard the taxes are mostly flat, which means no rebates.

I used Canadian tax calculation sites, based on their estimate my salary will be around $2600 less per month if i were to get the same salary in Canada ($110k). Is that true?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Youd still pay NY State and city income taxes, but only for the days you were physically in NY. And NJ will credit you for whatever taxes you pay to NY.

But you still need to file, Federal, NY State, NY City and NJ taxes.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freek4iphone View Post
Can you please tell me what kind of income tax credits (benefits) can I get in Quebec, with a baby and a wife who doesn't work. In States I pay less tax because I have a baby and my wife doesn't work (so i file jointly and get good tax rebate). Are there such tax rebates in Quebec? I heard the taxes are mostly flat, which means no rebates.

I used Canadian tax calculation sites, based on their estimate my salary will be around $2600 less per month if i were to get the same salary in Canada ($110k). Is that true?
Canada and Quebec do not have flat taxes at all, there's tons of rebates and there's definitely one for having a child, but I don't know about having a non-working wife but that may well be, don't know if they qualify as a dependant or not. Consult with an accountant, but definitely I know there's lots of rebates. You would generally pay more tax on 110K though, yes. Quebec is the most highly taxed Capitalist jurisdiction in North America.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,135,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freek4iphone View Post

'Tis tax season here in Canada, so I can definitely answer that

There are plenty of differences between federal US taxes and Canadian taxes (both federal and provincial, and especially Quebec which is "more different" from federal taxes than the other provinces are), but I'd say the 2 main differences are

a) a rather different (but equally long) laundry list of itemized deductions, some of which we call deductions, some we call personal credits, and

b) there's no such thing as "married filing jointly" in Canada. everybody files separately.

In the end though, having dependents (kids, spouse who doesn't work) is treated similarly to the federal US return. You get a personal credit of roughly $3,500 (1500 federal + 2000 Quebec) for yourself, and the same amount for your wife if she has no income at all. Those are credits so that's $7,000 directly off your taxes, as opposed to deductions off taxable income like the $3,700 personal exemptions in the US. The federal tax credit is roughly $300 for each child. The old Quebec tax credit for children was replaced about 10 years ago by a monthly check that depends on family income; in your case I would expect the minimum ($635/year), and I believe you need to have been a Quebec resident for 18 months (or be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen) to qualify.

Overall, here are ballpark figures based on a 110k income. You may qualify for additional deductions but this is a rough guide.

Gross income = $110,000
Social security-type taxes (employment insurance, Quebec pension plan, Quebec parental insurance plan) = ~$3,250
Group health insurance plan premium (hospitals are free, but prescription drugs, dental, glasses, etc are not; employer typically pays half) = ~$1,500
Federal taxes (net of credits discussed above i.e. spouse etc) = ~$15,250
Quebec taxes (net of credits) = ~$17,700

Net income = $110,000 - $37,700 = $72,300

You can compare that to what you paid this year. Other differences between Montreal and NJ/NYC:

- Quebec combined (fed+prov) sales tax of around 15% applies on almost everything (groceries is only significant exception), many consumer goods are also more expensive in Canada than the US
- For homeowners, property tax rates are much lower in Quebec than almost everywhere in the US, the main reason being that schools are mostly funded through income taxes instead of through school (local) taxes. As a renter it'd be one (of many) reason(s) why rent would be lower in Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal