Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I decided to revive this thread b/c I had a couple of questions concerning Montreal as well. A few of my relatives and I want to visit Montreal. We wanted to know if French was a must, but many people have stated that English is widely spoken as well. One of my cousins and I speak a little French, but its not that good. How are Americans really looked upon in Quebec (Montreal particularly)? Since we all also speak Spanish fluently, my cousin suggested that we pass off as tourists from a Spanish-speaking country. Is this a good idea or is it not necessary? Thanks in advance!
My son goes to McGill in Montreal. Which is, by the way, an English Language university...

I've been visiting Montreal 6 0r 8 times a year for 20 years.

It's not necessary to pass yourself off as anything. In my experience tourists are treated exceedingly well in Montreal, as well as the other parts of Quebec I've visited.

You're not visiting North Korea, or Burma after all, you're visiting Montreal Canada, eh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
You are welcome.

I assume you are often in Montreal, am i right ? If so, i will ask you why you come tome Montreal ''relatively'' often...a part from the fact that it is close by ?

Merci d'avance
I go to Montreal because it's one of the loveliest, most exciting, most civilized cities I've ever been to. For me, it seems just unfamiliar enough to be thrilling, almost exotic. That's partly because of the cultural diversity, and partly because it seems that Montrealers go out of thier way to enjoy life.

I go to Montreal because everything I'd like to do in NYC, but could barely afford to - is available to almost everybody in Montreal.

I go to Montreal because the local music scene seems unbelievably vibrant, and particularly rich because there are so many different people from so many different musical traditions in Montreal. I go because the FIJM is the best Jazz Festival in the world...and because of the other Jazz festivals which happen at roughly the same time, which feature Montreal-based as well as European musicians (L'Off Fest Du Jazz, Souni Per El Popolo, etc etc); I go to Montreal for The Lachine Canal Bike Path, The Mozart Festival and The Atwater Market; I go for The International Fireworks Competition. I'd like to go for the Film Festival, The Grand Prix, The Montreal Highlights Festival, Nuits Africain, and a whole lot more... I go to see Eric Longsworth, Jean Derome, Pierre Tanguey, Charles Papasoff, Normand Guilbeault, and a hundred more. I go for Cirque De Soleil, The Montreal Symphony, and i Musici De Montreal, Cirque Eloize, and the museums.

I go for the scenic lookout from the top of the mountain, for Notre Dame, for The Old Port, for St Joseph's Oratory. I go just to drive by Cathedrale Marie Rien Du Monde and marvel at the statues. I go for the history, and being able to see several centuries worth of architecture everywhere I look throughout the day.

Forgive the spelling errors! I really don't speak French.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:23 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Hey Chaz,

I concur with Antoyne concerning speaking French in Montreal. I am American here for university as well but have made a serious effort to learn French. It is actually quite easy once you get the basics down, the vocabulary especially. I always speak French first to people unless it is blatantly obvious they are from Toronto/Vancouver/USA etc. I speak French to bartenders, at stores etc. When I tell them I am American they usually are quite shocked and on several occasions they have literally said "Thank you for speaking French".

So TRY to speak French, and your reception will be much different than that "the ugly American" who is loud and demands an English soeaking audience.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM

110 posts, read 620,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
I go to Montreal because it's one of the loveliest, most exciting, most civilized cities I've ever been to. For me, it seems just unfamiliar enough to be thrilling, almost exotic. That's partly because of the cultural diversity, and partly because it seems that Montrealers go out of thier way to enjoy life.

I go to Montreal because everything I'd like to do in NYC, but could barely afford to - is available to almost everybody in Montreal.

I go to Montreal because the local music scene seems unbelievably vibrant, and particularly rich because there are so many different people from so many different musical traditions in Montreal. I go because the FIJM is the best Jazz Festival in the world...and because of the other Jazz festivals which happen at roughly the same time, which feature Montreal-based as well as European musicians (L'Off Fest Du Jazz, Souni Per El Popolo, etc etc); I go to Montreal for The Lachine Canal Bike Path, The Mozart Festival and The Atwater Market; I go for The International Fireworks Competition. I'd like to go for the Film Festival, The Grand Prix, The Montreal Highlights Festival, Nuits Africain, and a whole lot more... I go to see Eric Longsworth, Jean Derome, Pierre Tanguey, Charles Papasoff, Normand Guilbeault, and a hundred more. I go for Cirque De Soleil, The Montreal Symphony, and i Musici De Montreal, Cirque Eloize, and the museums.

I go for the scenic lookout from the top of the mountain, for Notre Dame, for The Old Port, for St Joseph's Oratory. I go just to drive by Cathedrale Marie Rien Du Monde and marvel at the statues. I go for the history, and being able to see several centuries worth of architecture everywhere I look throughout the day.

Forgive the spelling errors! I really don't speak French.
That's funny. One would think you are working for the Montreal tourist board.....or that you are a native montrealer still living here. You are a better ''ambassador'' than our current mayor which seems to be sleeping who knows where. You even know more than i do about all kinds of stuff which i think it's great. It proves that Montreal as a big cultural diversity which attracts people for different reasons.

If you like Jazz you would have enjoyed last saturday and sunday with Stochelo Rosenberg playing at the Upstairs jazz bar on Mckay......for $25.00 or so......

But i will say that there is no need to speak french in order to come to Montreal but like anything else it is more appropriate to learn some basic word if one is staying for a few days and then learn some phrases if staying for a couple of weeks and constantly improve yourself if staying on a long temr basis. This will not only make people friendlier with you but will allow you to get more out of the city, the people and as well as the culture.

A simple ''bonjour'', ''Merci'', ''SVP'' and ''Comment allez-vous ? '' Is good enough for a couple of days.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Hey Chaz,

I concur with Antoyne concerning speaking French in Montreal. I am American here for university as well but have made a serious effort to learn French.
Which University are you attending ?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
That's funny. One would think you are working for the Montreal tourist board.....or that you are a native montrealer still living here. You are a better ''ambassador'' than our current mayor which seems to be sleeping who knows where. You even know more than i do about all kinds of stuff which i think it's great. It proves that Montreal as a big cultural diversity which attracts people for different reasons.

If you like Jazz you would have enjoyed last saturday and sunday with Stochelo Rosenberg playing at the Upstairs jazz bar on Mckay......for $25.00 or so......

But i will say that there is no need to speak french in order to come to Montreal but like anything else it is more appropriate to learn some basic word if one is staying for a few days and then learn some phrases if staying for a couple of weeks and constantly improve yourself if staying on a long temr basis. This will not only make people friendlier with you but will allow you to get more out of the city, the people and as well as the culture.

A simple ''bonjour'', ''Merci'', ''SVP'' and ''Comment allez-vous ? '' Is good enough for a couple of days.
Merci for the kind words, Antoyne_42.

One of the reasons I love Montreal, and know it a bit, is the incredible music scene in Montreal: Classical music, Rock, Jazz, various kinds of music from all over the world... I believe it's a better music town than New York, if only because world class music is available in Montreal a lot less expensively than it is in, say, NYC. And it all seems to be within a walkable distance...

I sit on the board of The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival, in Burlington, Vermont, just 90 miles South of Montreal. I do a Jazz radio show here, and come to Montreal every year to enjoy the best Jazz Festival on the planet, as well as the other wonderful Jazz Festivals (and other kinds) in Montreal. A few years ago, I just started to spend the whole 10 days of the festival in town - I had to abandon my 20 year habit of attending a different 2 day Jazz festival, in Upstate New York, because it always seemed to happen during the first weekend of The MJF. But it's irresistable to be in Montreal for the whole festival, and I've never looked back.

Upstairs is terrific - any city in the world would be happy to have a Jazz club like it. And NO city in the world has a Jazz Festival as exciting as The Montreal Jazz Festival.

Let's get together during the festival this July!

Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
One of the reasons I love Montreal, and know it a bit, is the incredible music scene in Montreal: Classical music, Rock, Jazz, various kinds of music from all over the world... I believe it's a better music town than New York, if only because world class music is available in Montreal a lot less expensively than it is in, say, NYC. And it all seems to be within a walkable distance...

I sit on the board of The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival, in Burlington, Vermont, just 90 miles South of Montreal. I do a Jazz radio show here, and come to Montreal every year to enjoy the best Jazz Festival on the planet, as well as the other wonderful Jazz Festivals (and other kinds) in Montreal. But it's irresistable to be in Montreal for the whole festival, and I've never looked back.

Let's get together during the festival this July!
Yes, no problem. If i am in town i would be happy to meet and attend some concerts. As a matter of fact, last year, i did attend the outdoor hommage to Leanord Cohen while ha was playing inside at the Places des Arts. i know it it not pure Jazz but it was a nice thing to do.

I have been to Burlington once or twice, once for the airport as i had a flight from DC to Burlington but then it was kind of complicated to make my way back to Montreal.

I usually listen to Planete Jazz in Montreal on 91.9. What is the frequency of your radio station ? Maybe with a bit of luck i can catch it, i doubt it but....who knows !

Montreal also has many used CD stores and in some of them one can find good Jazz Cd's for a very good prive. That's exactly what i have done today. I bought a John Coltrane. I was also looking for some Yussef Lateef but they didnt have the one i wanted.

On top of having a big alternative, rock and jazz scene Montreal has a huge French music scene and this is the one i am more familiar with. You are probably more aware of the rock/alternative and jazz scene while i am more on the francos scene...and that's another plus for Montreal. Too bad the french/quebecois artists are not ''exportable'' in the Us because of the language difference.

I have walked around the Place des Arts area over the last weekand and there is a lot of work being done. They are ''building'' a huge Places des spectacles and that will be a big improvement. Plus the two old buildings next to it have been purchased by the Spectra/MJF organisations and will become the headquarters of the Jazz festival after the face lift it is currently going under. This entire area should be very interesting once finish. Le Quartier des Spectacles.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, no problem. If i am in town i would be happy to meet and attend some concerts. As a matter of fact, last year, i did attend the outdoor hommage to Leanord Cohen while ha was playing inside at the Places des Arts. i know it it not pure Jazz but it was a nice thing to do.

I have been to Burlington once or twice, once for the airport as i had a flight from DC to Burlington but then it was kind of complicated to make my way back to Montreal.

I usually listen to Planete Jazz in Montreal on 91.9. What is the frequency of your radio station ? Maybe with a bit of luck i can catch it, i doubt it but....who knows !

Montreal also has many used CD stores and in some of them one can find good Jazz Cd's for a very good prive. That's exactly what i have done today. I bought a John Coltrane. I was also looking for some Yussef Lateef but they didnt have the one i wanted.

On top of having a big alternative, rock and jazz scene Montreal has a huge French music scene and this is the one i am more familiar with. You are probably more aware of the rock/alternative and jazz scene while i am more on the francos scene...and that's another plus for Montreal. Too bad the french/quebecois artists are not ''exportable'' in the Us because of the language difference.

I have walked around the Place des Arts area over the last weekand and there is a lot of work being done. They are ''building'' a huge Places des spectacles and that will be a big improvement. Plus the two old buildings next to it have been purchased by the Spectra/MJF organisations and will become the headquarters of the Jazz festival after the face lift it is currently going under. This entire area should be very interesting once finish. Le Quartier des Spectacles.
I missed the tribute to Leonard Cohen - but I loved the tribute to Paul Simon a few years ago outside. Lovely to hear all those different voices with different accents singing Simon's songs... I enjoyed that tribute more than seeing Paul Simon the next night.

I like Cheap Thrills for used CD's... but there must be many more good ones...

Yes - I wish I knew the Francophone music scene better... There sure are an amazing number of Francophone Jazz musicians, though... Have you heard Trio Derome Guilbault Tanguay? They seem to play very frequently in Montreal. Jean Derome got a degree in flute performance from McGill, and plays Alto Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone and Flute, as well as a lot of instruments he created - (but not in this trio). He started a record label in Montreal called Ambiences Magnetiques.

I'll be on (streaming live) at 88.7 WWPV FM The Mike tomorrow, Wednesday, from 1700-2000 (5-8 eastern)

And I can't wait to see what they do with the Quartier des Spectacles and The Blumenthal Building! I only have photos from this winter, of The Spectrum being torn down...

Oh...I almost forgot: http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm...ipBook_en.html

Merci

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I missed the tribute to Leonard Cohen - but I loved the tribute to Paul Simon a few years ago outside. Lovely to hear all those different voices with different accents singing Simon's songs...

Have you heard Trio Derome Guilbault Tanguay? They seem to play very frequently in Montreal. Jean Derome got a degree in flute performance from McGill, and plays Alto Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone and Flute, as well as a lot of instruments he created -

And I can't wait to see what they do with the Quartier des Spectacles and The Blumenthal Building! I only have photos from this winter, of The Spectrum being torn down...
No, i never heard about the Trio you mentionned althought the name Jean Derome rings a bell.

I will try to cath you next time you are on the air but it may not work as i am still a tad too far. Is it available on line ?

Yes, the Blumenthal Building is getting a face lift and should be ready for this summers Festival. The club Upstairs was suppose to movin the building but they changed their mind and it will stay where it is now, on MaCkay street. The Spectrum in indeed demolished and the project that was supposed to be built on this site is sort of frozen for the moment. The bad economy !!!

I missed the Paul Simon one.....therefor we are even !!!

Thanks for the FJM link. I never saw it before. It's great. In the todays press they released the names of some of the artists that will appear at this summers Festival but i am sure you are aware of it. Ornette Coleman will be there. I mean he is kinda old but i am sure it will be an attraction. He's a big name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal