Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
jambo, did you read my post above? MOST canadian provinces have already adopted elections at fixed dates. This isn't some conspiracy so that she can stay in power.

Wikipedia: fixed elections dates in Canada

*sigh*
Whats with the sigh?, i must have missed the change in legislation memo about non confidence votes being suspended in favor of mandatory time limits., very convenient for Marois.looks like quebec is stuck with her for the next 4 years.
Kinda a double edged sword as no matter how incompetent she becomes theres no way out and when she does get out she wont be back for 4 years..
As for stopping listening to CJAD would you like me to stop reading the Gazette as well? as sometimes they can criticize the francophone community equally as well or give out disturbing news to Mrs Marois. .
CRTC approves English talk-radio station at 600 AM

Last edited by jambo101; 11-09-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM

565 posts, read 671,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ya dont have to sigh, i must have missed the change in legislation memo about non confidence votes being suspended, very convenient for Marois.looks like Quebec is stuck with her for the next 4 years.
Kinda a double edged sword as no matter how incompetent she becomes theres no way out and when she does get out she wont be back for 4 years..
You're not getting it (nor is CJAD, apparently). The non-confidence votes is NOT being suspended. Regular elections would happen every 4 years, unless there is a non-confidence vote. This doesn't change.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
You're not getting it (nor is CJAD, apparently). The non-confidence votes is NOT being suspended. Regular elections would happen every 4 years, unless there is a non-confidence vote. This doesn't change.
Theres a lot of things in life i dont get..
If the government can still be brought down with a vote of Non confidence then whats new with the 4 year mandate? wasnt any given Canadian government under a time limit to call an election like every 4 or 5 years?Sounded to me like Marois was suspending the ability to bring down her government due to a non confidence vote.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
Theres a lot of things in life i dont get..
If the government can still be brought down with a vote of Non confidence then whats new with the 4 year mandate? wasnt any given Canadian government under a time limit to call an election like every 4 or 5 years?Sounded to me like Marois was suspending the ability to bring down her government due to a non confidence vote.
Now you get it -- nothing changes with that law, except that (theoretically) fixed election date after 4 years. Quebec and Nova Scotia are the only two provinces without such a law. There's also one at the federal level -- but that didn't stop Harper from dissolving the parliament and calling an election in 2008 anyway.

The only real news in that piece is that Bernard Drainville is even more manipulative than people previously thought. "The other parties will pay the political consequences if they [vote against the PQ in a confidence motion]", really?? Who gives a crap about that law?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 AM

So basically this law just rules out a party or leader calling a snap election anytime they like and unless otherwise challenged by lack of confidence vote they are in for the full term..
Not much there, i'll have to find juicier news stories,
Which maybe forthcoming in a big way with the apparent massive influx of Anglos or Anglicization of quebec i think unless Marois does some serious suspension of human rights the flood gates are about to be opened wide as people in Quebec are starting to realize English is the language of global communication, also the name of the game in technology and business and the 400 million Anglos that constitute our neighbors. .

Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Lol as much as I dislike the PQ, the outrage over this bill is dumb. There are fixed election dates in most provinces, on the federal level, and in the UK. The opposition can still vote out the PQ in non-confidence measures just as before... it just provides a firm expiration/election date for the AN in the case that the legislature doesn't get dissolved. It more or less prevents some of the shenanigans Charest pulled.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
Quote:
So basically this law just rules out a party or leader calling a snap election anytime they like and unless otherwise challenged by lack of confidence vote they are in for the full term..
Not much there, i'll have to find juicier news stories,
Which maybe forthcoming in a big way with the apparent massive influx of Anglos or Anglicization of quebec i think unless Marois does some serious suspension of human rights the flood gates are about to be opened wide as people in Quebec are starting to realize English is the language of global communication, also the name of the game in technology and business and the 400 million Anglos that constitute our neighbors. .
Actually no, it doesn't even rule that out. (see: federal 2006 election)

Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Actually no, it doesn't even rule that out. (see: federal 2006 election)
So why fix an election date if theres no reason to honor that date?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-01-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 01:48 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
You have to look at it from the other end of the lens. It's about not letting things drag on.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-01-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
So why fix an election date if theres reason to honor that date?

That should read

Quote:
What ever the reason for this new law something advantageous is in it for Marois and her separatists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal