Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM

12 posts, read 26,369 times

Advertisements

OK, so I will make this as short but as accurate as possible.
My mother was born in Laval. Moved to the US and had me here in Florida before she became a US citizen. This makes me immediately eligible for dual citizenship which I want to get asap.
So I started the process which is fairly self explanatory, except for one small hitch.

The Quebec government wants me to send in her birth certificate. Which we have. However... they do not honor any documents before 1994. So she has to get her birth cert again, and they are giving her all kinds of hoops to jump through. New social insurance number to get another number to get her paper work so she can then get her birth cert....
what gives? how can we expedite this? Any ideas? They are taking FOREVER. It's just a birth certificate re-print. Come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:31 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
It sounds like they are just going through their process. You have no other choice but to do what they say.

You appear to be impatient but you should relax - your mom's place of birth will not change and there are no changes to the rules for citizenship in the works.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 PM

I am a bit anxious, but nevertheless, I am relaxed. My issue is, I'm not even sure of what this whole process entails and how long it generally takes. Does any one have any insight on this?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Up until recently (90's) Quebec residents were issued a baptismal certificate at birth. then the government changed its laws to require a modern birth certificate which is what your Mom is trying to get.My wife and one of my kids went through the process of changing the baptismal certificate to a modern Quebec birth certificate,i dont remember it being too much of a hassle.there was a minor charge if i remember.
Could be something in here..
Certificate and copy of an act > Directeur de l'état civil

Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Up until recently (90's) Quebec residents were issued a baptismal certificate at birth. then the government changed its laws to require a modern birth certificate which is what your Mom is trying to get.My wife and one of my kids went through the process of changing the baptismal certificate to a modern Quebec birth certificate,i dont remember it being too much of a hassle.there was a minor charge if i remember.
Could be something in here..
Certificate and copy of an act > Directeur de l'état civil
Exactly. That is the general idea of the process we have to go through. However, they're telling her she needs to get her social insurance number, which she doesn't have because she's been here since the 80s. So to get that number, she needs another number.... I'm so lost lol.

And yes the fee is pretty minor. I remember that as well. I'll check that site, maybe it'll help.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 AM

Too bad you werent actually in Canada where you could just pop into your local Canada service center and get your problems solved or at least questions answered.., a phone call to one of them might be in order , heres my local one
Lasalle (Montréal) Service Canada Centre

Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 AM

I will have to speak with them. I was actually in Montreal this past January, but I wasn't in the process of trying to get all these things squared away yet. *Sigh* I guess I'll have to give them a shout. Thanks again for the info!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Also, I was wondering, I think I read somewhere in another post on this forum, that once I send in my application for citizenship that I can claim whichever province I want as where I am considered a resident. Is this true? If so how does this happen in the whole process?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Be assured somewhere in the application process you'll be asked where in Canada you plan on residing,
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Check your direct message box,i sent a link.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM

I found out the specifics of what they told my mom. They told her that she needed some type of number (i believe a revenue number or something of the sort) in order to get her birth certificate. They said they would mail it to her in Florida, and this was 4 months ago. She hasn't received it yet, and I'm not sure how long it was supposed to take. What I'm trying to figure out is the time frame, and what exactly she needs to do after she gets said number. THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal