Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM

210 posts, read 393,698 times

Advertisements

I want to know because I'm applying for jobs in many different areas of Montreal, some far from my hometown of Montreal North. When employers look at my resume and see that I live in Montreal North, and the company is far away from there, like Downtown for example, would that be a turn-off to them or is it something I can let them know later in interviews? Or would they be able to just tell how far I am based on my postal code?

Do you think I should take out the "North" part and just say Montreal? Or is it officially called Montreal-North?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM

63 posts, read 97,555 times
It is still called Montreal-Nord, but since 2000something it's part of "Montreal" because municipalities got together.

You can still put only Montreal on your resume. I live in Outremont and I put Montreal to apply in the US for medical devices engineering jobs. Right now actually!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Just write Montreal, it was merged with Montreal so that's an accurate description.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
One thing is if submitting a CV in French help yourself out by writing Montréal instead of Montreal, and Montréal-Nord instead of Montreal North.

And if the sign on your street says Rue Jean-Dubois, write it that way and not Jean Dubois Street.

Do yourself a favour that some people strangely enough don't.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 AM

63 posts, read 97,555 times
I second that!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One thing is if submitting a CV in French help yourself out by writing Montréal instead of Montreal, and Montréal-Nord instead of Montreal North.

And if the sign on your street says Rue Jean-Dubois, write it that way and not Jean Dubois Street.

Is this due to the anti-English views of many Quebecers, who refuse to hire an obvious anglophone? In which case, should people legally change their names to "French-sounding" names?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Is this due to the anti-English views of many Quebecers, who refuse to hire an obvious anglophone? In which case, should people legally change their names to "French-sounding" names?
It's more about demonstrating that you are not clueless to the point that you ignore obvious local realities. And also to not have them think that you are an anglo-hegemonist or anglo-supremacist (sorry for the use of local terms) who will complain that everyone is speaking and using French around you at work and insist the everyone switches to English just for you.

BTW I only pointed this out because the OP wrote the name of his district "Montreal North" whereas even in English a lot of people (especially if they are from there) would refer to it as "Montréal-Nord".

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
In which case, should people legally change their names to "French-sounding" names?
Not suggesting that at all. Lots of francophones in Quebec have very English-sounding names and it's often hard to tell who speaks what language:

Agrotexte - TEXTE TERRE TISSE - YouTube

Yan England - Conférence de presse - YouTube

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Right on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal