Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times

Advertisements

I have lived here (a bit outside Montreal) for two years now and I have no friggin' clue why someone would intentionally not become bilingual here. How is that even possible? When I first moved here, my daily life was a nightmare as I fumbled through my "ehhhh uhhh je ne suis pas francais parlez" or something like that I'm so happy now that I can make a phone call by myself or go to the doctor's office without dragging my father-in-law with me.

To answer the question- yes, as an ESL teacher. There are well-paid jobs (related teaching degree, certification, and intermediate French skills) and there are bad/low-paid jobs (no degree/unrelated degree, no certification, and no French skills). Fortunately, I planned ahead and got a degree in TESL/certification, so I can work "in English" (with some restrictions of course - you should know minimal French).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 PM

304 posts, read 1,425,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Except that to many people Quebec is not a non English speaking country.
You're sneaky! You want us to go THERE don't you?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,448,771 times
I wonder if I study French for a year by myself and with courses (getting to an intermediate level) - will I be able to get a job in a skilled trade (where all jobs require French speaking and writing)?

Last edited by nuala; 06-03-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I wonder if I study French for a year by myself and with courses (getting to an intermediate level) - will I be able to get a job in a skilled trade (where all jobs require French speaking and writing)?
Maybe (Montreal - most likely - outside Montreal, it depends). It also depends on the trade. There are a lot of tradespeople out here with only intermediate French skills - mostly of Mexican origin.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,448,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Maybe (Montreal - most likely - outside Montreal, it depends). It also depends on the trade. There are a lot of tradespeople out here with only intermediate French skills - mostly of Mexican origin.
Do you mostly mean construction (as in Mexicans in construction?)? I will be looking for an automotive trade.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwagumi View Post
Hello,

I've lived in Montreal all my life and never really became fully billingual. I can get by day to day, such as ordering food in french and so on. But finding a job in Montreal that doesn't rquire French is very hard to find. I personally plan on moving to Ottawa once I finish my cheap schooling here There are a few places around Montreal where you can get by without french. Pharmaceutical companies on the west island are about forty percent english as well as the FedEx and UPS out there. The airport is also a good place to try. My cousin worked for Air Canada unloading planes and what not and said a lot of the people were english.
What % of cosmetic companies speak English? I am talking about jobs in cosmetic science field, NOT beauty & skin care.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I know this question gets asked a lot.

But I am really interested in learning French, and in order to so, I feel I need to live somewhere in which everyone speaks French. I've been taking classes all year. I think it would be interesting to move to Montreal.

But realistically speaking, I will never achieve fluency in French unless I live and converse in French, in a french speaking city. I know people say "learn french" before going to Montreal, but knowing basic french is probably not enough to get a job in Montreal.

Am I wrong about this? Can anyone speak about this?

Are there many English speaking jobs in Montreal?
If you dont speak French in Montreal your options for quality employment are severely diminished as just about every job available will be requiring a bilingual candidate.
Total immersion in French is a good way to go if you can find a way to support yourself while becoming proficient enough to apply for quality jobs.
You could try Ottawa as an interim place to improve your linguistic skills then when you feel confident enough you can make your move to Quebec.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,159 times
yea its virtually impossible to attain employment if you are not fluent in french. forget about moving to montreal. it sucks. Im anglophone and its like a secret society of rude people. and I speak french at an intermediate level.
these are the most simple minded jobs that require little to NO intellectual skills and I cant even get a job doing these:

-hostess
-gas station attendant
-shoppers drug mart (PHARMAPRIX)
-menial low paying admin job in a small or big corporation
-tim hortons
-mcdonalds

I have a university degree and have been working in an office for 3 yrs in Ontario.

its too jokes here in Montreal! I know Francophones who LEFT MTL due to the ridiculousness that is Quebec.

maybe become a hobo downtown on Crescent or a prosti on St Catherines...you'd be more respected doing that then speaking to elite french culture here..its TOO JOKES!

if you arnt FULLY fluent...

I say RUN. run far away....

Old 01-07-2014, 06:48 AM

171 posts, read 273,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I just did a quick search of call center jobs available in Montreal right now. Each one requires fluent bilingualism.
All Call Center Representative Jobs in MONTREAL, QC - WowJobs

Maybe the OP will get lucky; I don't know.
They have to require bilingualism legally don't they? The reality is that you can work in English as long as the company can prove you are doing something to improve your French (classes, etc.)

Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
They have to require bilingualism legally don't they? The reality is that you can work in English as long as the company can prove you are doing something to improve your French (classes, etc.)
I don't believe that all employees have to be bilingual.

What has to be ensured is that a) members of the public can be served in French and b) that employees who wish to work in French must not be prevented from doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal