Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM

185 posts, read 193,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You're kidding, right? I DO speak French and the thought of a tourist telling me to support a French-only Quebec is beyond absurd. You want to come up here once a year and get the warm fuzzies, pretending you're in France, but you have no idea what you're talking about.
Silliest thing I've ever heard. Sure, we should turn ourselves inside out to please an American tourist. I don't think so. There was a bistro here recently which got into trouble because the ON-OFF switch of the hot water tank in the kitchen was in English. This BS is causing untold misery, money, ill-feeling, divisiveness and headaches for everyone. You have no say in it because you want to feel like you're in Europe once in a while. Unbelievable.
You want France? Go to France.
French is a minority language in North America except in Quebec. Are you now trying to take away that too? English is dominant elsewhere, isn't it more than enough? Goosh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM

565 posts, read 671,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
So it's welcoming to force immigrant anglophone children into francophone schools while they're paying taxes to an education system that is set up to assimilate their culture?
And how is this different from immigrants going to school in the USA or in the rest-of-Canada, paying taxes to an education system that is set up (and rightly so, I might add) to integrate them into the mainstream culture of the place, exactly?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,089,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
And how is this different from immigrants going to school in the USA or in the rest-of-Canada, paying taxes to an education system that is set up (and rightly so, I might add) to integrate them into the mainstream culture of the place, exactly?
Francophones are guaranteed the right to education in French. Whether you're an immigrant or not, if your first language is French, you are permitted to go to a publically funded French school. These french-language schools exist across Canada.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Great logic you have there: A bilingual country should have one of the most radically unilingual governments in the world as one of its subdivisions.
... And yet this "unilingual government" provides all of its services in English too. Try getting equivalent services in French in Ontario (which probably does a better job at it than all other provinces except NB, in all honesty, but it's still very minimal), you'll see the difference.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
pdw

Quote:
... And yet this "unilingual government" provides all of its services in English too. Try getting equivalent services in French in Ontario (which probably does a better job at it than all other provinces except NB), you'll see the difference.
I'm sure if I go to cities like Sudbury or Ottawa (which have a similar percentage of francophones as Montreal does anglophones), I'd be able to easily get French services. I'll bet it would be just as difficult to get English services in Chicoutimi as it would be to get French services in Toronto. Contrary to popular belief, only two provinces in Canada have designated official languages, Quebec and New Brunswick. New Brunswick being English-French bilingual and Quebec being unilingually French. All other 8 provinces are de facto bilingual.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM

185 posts, read 193,246 times
Why are road signs outside of New Brunswick not bilingual? I know in Ottawa and some federal highways are, but what about the rest? Why can't most Canadians speak English and French just like how most Scandinavians can speak English?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I'm sure if I go to cities like Sudbury or Ottawa (which have a similar percentage of francophones as Montreal does anglophones), I'd be able to easily get French services.
Nope. Unless you're willing to wait while they go fetch THE francophone of the office - and it will usually not be done with a smile... Very different from public services in Montreal where the vast majority of employees will try to accommodate you in whichever language you decide to use.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 PM
pdw

Quote:
Nope. Unless you're willing to wait while they go fetch THE francophone of the office - and it will usually not be done with a smile... Very different from public services in Montreal where the vast majority of employees will try to accommodate you in whichever language you decide to use.
I'm taking this as that you're speaking from experience. Right?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I'm taking it that you're speaking from experience. Right?
I am, actually.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM
pdw

Quote:
I am, actually.
Care to clarify? As so far I have easily struck down each and every argument you, Acajack and ONTVisit have presented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal