Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times

Advertisements

A few more things...
You have a car, don't, under any circumstances, take it to the Jazz Fest. Take the Metro to the St Laurent station and just follow the throng.
Don't be alarmed if you come across a gang of black youths at night. Nothing is going to happen.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 06-11-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:11 PM

If at all possible, you should try to catch my good friend, Dawn Tyler Watson, perform at the Rio Tinto Alcan stage on June 28th, at 20h00. It's a free show. Amazing, amazing performer.

Hailed as "Montreal's Queen of the Blues," singer, songwriter and actress Dawn Tyler Watson commands both stage and screen with her natural presence and silky vocals. Born in England and raised in Ontario, she launched her career with the debut album, Ten Dollar Dress, featuring her group, Dawn Tyler Blues Project. In 2005 and 2007, she won the Canadian Maple Blues Award for Female Vocalist of the Year, and was later named International Female Artist of the Year at the Trophées France Blues. Her talent was perhaps best described in Blues Review Magazine: "Watson, in a nutshell, smokes."
Artist : Dawn Tyler Watson - Festival International de Jazz de Montréal

Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
A few more things...
You have a car, but don't, under any circumstances, take it to the Jazz Fest. Take the Metro to the St Laurent station and just follow the throng.
Don't be alarmed if you come across a gang of black youths at night. Nothing is going to happen.
Stop being a passive aggressive Democrat assuming uncharitable things about our tourists weltschmerz, it's very rude and you're making us look unfriendly and unwelcoming . He's not the one importing America's aggressive culture war attitude right now, you are, and no it's not different when a leftist does it, especially when it's completely unprovoked.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Stop being a passive aggressive Democrat assuming uncharitable things about our tourists weltschmerz, it's very rude and you're making us look unfriendly and unwelcoming
Just letting him know that this city is completely different than say, Detroit or the Bronx.
My husband was an American liberal from NYC. It took him a while to get used to how things work over here. The first time I took him to a club where we were the only white people, he freaked, because it just wasn't done where he came from. It turned into one of his favourite watering holes once he got used to it.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 06-11-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Stop being a passive aggressive Democrat assuming uncharitable things about our tourists weltschmerz, it's very rude and you're making us look unfriendly and unwelcoming . He's not the one importing America's aggressive culture war attitude right now, you are, and no it's not different when a leftist does it, especially when it's completely unprovoked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Just letting him know that this city is completely different than say, Detroit or the Bronx.
My husband was an American liberal from NYC. It took him a while to get used to how things work over here. The first time I took him to a club where we were the only white people, he freaked, because it just wasn't done where he came from. It turned into one of his favourite watering holes once he got used to it.
I get where she's coming from, BIMBAM. My (ex-)husband is American. When we lived in Connecticut, sometimes we'd wander into downtown Hartford to pick up some Jamaican food. That's a whole different culture than what he's used to and -- to be honest, given U.S. violence -- he was scared. Me? I was walking without a care in the world and talking to people, asking which place had the best curry or jerk chicken. He was appalled. Living in Montreal, we're used to a melting pot -- a melting pot of (mostly) civilized people. Living in the States, I had to learn to be more cautious because it's not quite as safe, sometimes, to interact. In weltschmerz's defense, I think that she was just giving the OP a head's up about how nice we are, which is something that not all Americans know or are used to.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Bonjour to our neighbors to the north. I am driving from Chicago to Montreal and Quebec city from June 28th to July 7th (about 10 days including driving time) to visit your fair lands. I will be up there for Jazz fest and your independence day too, tres bien (just practicing). It will be my first time there but I have traveled extensively so I do know the basics. I do have a few questions that would help with our trip though:

Un (still practicing). What would be a decent amount of time to visit each city (I may check out Ottawa too if time permits)? I was thinking about quatre jours in Montreal and trois jours on Quebec city. Il est bon?
I see people have covered Montreal pretty well. Quebec City's summer festival (Festival d'été de Québec) will take place from July 4th to July 14th this year. The festival is Quebec City's big yearly event and it's the best time to visit (unless you hate crowds, which I guess isn't your case if you're planning to go to the Jazz festival). There are all kinds of street artists, 3 large outdoor venues and a bunch of smaller indoor shows. There are single-show tickets or day passes for some of those events. July 4-6 this year will have The Black Keys, Bad Religion, Belle & Sebastian, Madeleine Peyroux, Coral Egan, Wiz Khalifa, Wu-Tang Clan.. all kinds of stuff.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I get where she's coming from, BIMBAM. My (ex-)husband is American. When we lived in Connecticut, sometimes we'd wander into downtown Hartford to pick up some Jamaican food. That's a whole different culture than what he's used to and -- to be honest, given U.S. violence -- he was scared. Me? I was walking without a care in the world and talking to people, asking which place had the best curry or jerk chicken. He was appalled. Living in Montreal, we're used to a melting pot -- a melting pot of (mostly) civilized people. Living in the States, I had to learn to be more cautious because it's not quite as safe, sometimes, to interact. In weltschmerz's defense, I think that she was just giving the OP a head's up about how nice we are, which is something that not all Americans know or are used to.
That's exactly it. He wanted tips on visiting this fair city and that's what I'm attempting to do. It's a whole different vibe here. Things that most people wouldn't do in the US, you can do here. It's safe and friendly.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I don't know about the rest of you folks on this thread, but I already feel conquered.
I feel my brain descending into anarchy at the moment. Sa la vie. I must use these powers only for good...well maybe just during the daylight hours. .

Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM

I'm not worried about different peoples. I often traverse to different ethnic enclaves here in Chicago. Actually different peoples makes for different experiences which is what traveling is all about in my book.

Thanks for the car tip. I'll just park it somewhere. I figured I'd rent a bike while I am there too and ride around some or just walk. I heard you have a good metro system too.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to see your friend sing on the 28th. We'll probably be coming in late that day but maybe. If so I'll make sure to yell out that weltshmerz sent me from the crowd. I'm sure she'll love that.

I assume that anywhere I stay is pretty good then? I heard the plateau area is nice as is old montreal. Thanks for the help yall (I have to throw a good old Americanism in here somewhere).

Old 06-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I see people have covered Montreal pretty well. Quebec City's summer festival (Festival d'été de Québec) will take place from July 4th to July 14th this year. The festival is Quebec City's big yearly event and it's the best time to visit (unless you hate crowds, which I guess isn't your case if you're planning to go to the Jazz festival). There are all kinds of street artists, 3 large outdoor venues and a bunch of smaller indoor shows. There are single-show tickets or day passes for some of those events. July 4-6 this year will have The Black Keys, Bad Religion, Belle & Sebastian, Madeleine Peyroux, Coral Egan, Wiz Khalifa, Wu-Tang Clan.. all kinds of stuff.
Cool. Is this summer festival mostly a music fest or also a variety of cultural activities? I might come before that just to avoid some of the crowds. I'll have to research it out first. I love music but we have lollapalooza, bluesfest, our own jazzfest, plus a myriad of other things here too. I'm more interested in checking out Quebec city but that's good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal