U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,604,807 times

Advertisements

Will you find signage in Montreal's allophone neighborhoods with three languages - French, English, and the language most spoken in the neighborhoods?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 PM

24,335 posts, read 30,574,915 times
Not always. It's more of a mix.

In all areas of course you have French on almost all signs as it is mandated by law.

After that it depends on the communities and even then it is not always consistent.

Jewish areas of Montreal tend to have signs in French and English as opposed to Yiddish (or Hebrew).

Italian areas in the central and eastern parts of the city tend to have signs in French only, although you sometimes see Italian (often the name of a business is Italian, and the rest is in French). Sometimes there is English also. There are quite a few Italians in the western part of Montreal as well but in this area French + English is what predominates.

Areas of the city with Arabic speakers (especially Lebanese) tend to have signs mostly in French, though sometimes you see Arabic or English.

Signs in Haitian Creole and African languages are quite rare - for the most part these communities use French only.

The Vietnamese community uses Vietnamese and French for the most part.

The Chinese community tends to use French, English and Chinese.

Greek - mostly the three languages French, English and Greek.

Portuguese and Brazilian - mostly French but you see Portuguese alongside it as well.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:39 AM

35,318 posts, read 45,278,845 times
Amendments to language laws are frequent so i might be a bit behind the times and there are legal differences to private or commercial signage but from what i understand commercial signs outside must be in French, interior signs can be in English but with a French translation on top and twice the font size the idea being one reads the French text first.
While private areas of English areas of Montreal may occasionally post an English for sale,keep off the grass, garage sale sign, i doubt its legal and by doing so you could incur vandalism to your property from the zealous separatist element.

The actual charter that i presume spells out the legality of posting an English sign on your private property. Bit too long and complex for me..

Charter of the French language

PS Chris/Mouldy,knowing the volatility of the linguistic issue in Canada and particularly in Quebec i'm sensing you are deriving some kind of weird/odd pleasure by continually bringing up these contentious topics then sitting back and watching us Canadians battle it out with each other all the while you having absolutely no skin in the game... Are you having the feeling you are manipulating a country?

Last edited by jambo101; 06-29-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Amendments to language laws are frequent so i might be a bit behind the times and there are legal differences to private or commercial signage but from what i understand commercial signs outside must be in French, interior signs can be in English but with a French translation on
Actually the outside commercial signs are where the French on top twice the size rule applies. Any other languages are also permitted.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Actually the outside commercial signs are where the French on top twice the size rule applies. Any other languages are also permitted.
Its all way to complex for me to keep track of,i just default to putting no signs other than French on my properties in Quebec and just expect everything to be in French where ever i go in Quebec.
English only signage in Quebec will probably get you reported to the language cops.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Its all way to complex for me to keep track of,i just default to putting no signs other than French on my properties in Quebec and just expect everything to be in French where ever i go in Quebec.
English only signage in Quebec will probably get you reported to the language cops.
I believe the rules I am referring to have been in place since around 1989.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 2,134,258 times
It's so messed up that French is expected to predominate in Montreal. I can understand to an extent requiring French to be on signs, but to expect it to be larger is implying that French Canadians are superior. It's racist. There is no excuse for this.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
It's so messed up that French is expected to predominate in Montreal. I can understand to an extent requiring French to be on signs, but to expect it to be larger is implying that French Canadians are superior. It's racist. There is no excuse for this.
You're right but theres absolutely nothing any one can do about it,the Anglos are now too few in numbers and with no representation in Quebec to bring about any meaningful change in the recessive language laws that are enshrined in Bill101 and constantly foisted on an Anglo culture that (Surprise!)love living in Quebec every bit as much as their Francophone neighbors,But unlike our Francophone neighbors we the Anglophone minority are the targets of all this aggressive language legislation and are continually subject to the ever increasing linguistic intolerance from the Quebec government and more and more looked down upon by many of its Francophone citizens,in essence English has become a dirty word in Quebec. The time to do something was back when bill101 was being enacted, most Anglos in Quebec sure saw the consequences of a passed bill101,we had much protests and demonstrations against the bill but the federal government chose to do nothing now we have a Quebec separatist government in power for the umpteenth time threatening separation and curtailing civil rights on Anglophones as fast as they can think them up.
Quebec is French and will only continue to solidify that demographic ,Canada is English and will continue to move in that direction.
Its the way it is..

Last edited by jambo101; 06-29-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM

789 posts, read 935,763 times
Quote:
Quebec is French and will only continue to solidify that demographic ,Canada is English and will continue to move in that direction.
Its the way it is..
I only hope they are smarter than to go any further in their policies. Stifling such institutions as Mc Gill and the Royal Vic would do irretrievable damage.

IMO even the hardliners wouldnt go that far...although bill 14 is an awfully close shave.

On the other hand I am mighty glad french is disappearing from the ROC

Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 2,134,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
On the other hand I am mighty glad french is disappearing from the ROC
That's how the PQ want us to feel. The less French the rest of Canada is, the more "distinct" Quebec is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal