Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
Im Canadian originally an immigrant from a francophone country , french was my first language since my parents came from different ethnic group and the only language they had in common was French, they are both academically very advanced in the language , so i was born speaking a very good and articulate french , i was told this by many friends .
When time comes to speak to a Cashier , store clerks , banks employee and especially especially subway ticket booth , i get a lot of meanness and agressivity , the expression of their face change and then they make this expression is if you come from another planet, i had lately a subway ticket clerk blow a pfffffff for saying to her"je vous remercie" . Things seem to be different when i speak English , i get a lot of helpfulness and politeness .after all these years spent in this city some things remain a mystery to my understanding
This OP is just so weird and very hard to believe. Being treated more rudely for speaking French than speaking English in Montreal is an extremely rare occurrence.

I am especially doubtful because of the reference to subway employees - who are somewhat notorious in Montreal for not wanting to speak in English. You are trying to make us believe they are nicer to you when you speak to them in English than in French? Hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
STM employees tend to be jerks no matter what language you speak. I think "un billet SVP" or "one ticket please" 10000x a day can wear down a person.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:14 PM

45 posts, read 76,284 times
I think I know what the OP is talking about and all my life I've wanted to know why. Many years ago in Montreal I found myself treated quite brusquely, even rudely, when I spoke French. Even though my mother was born in PQ and my maiden name is clearly French Canadian, I found people unpleasant. I assumed it was because I studied in France and speak continental French. Another friend, from France, found the same thing. I wish I could solve the riddle because when back in Canada I would adore visiting Quebec again but don't want to if I'm going to be treated like dirt for not speaking the same variety of French. By contrast, the French Canadians I've met while in Mexico are very pleasant, so go figure!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,047 times
Not to be completely rude, but if you're being treated badly in Montreal, it is NOT because you're speaking French rather than English. ESPECIALLY from transit workers! Two things:

1. Racism exists here. It is the only place I have lived in Canada (BC, Alberta, Montreal) where I have witnessed open racism. I am white/anglo so it hasn't been directed AT me (talk to me about language, tho - heh) but people here, especially some French Canadians, can be vile about different races.

2. If you're speaking French and getting attitude it is much more likely that this is due to a)the person you're speaking to has clocked that you're not speaking Quebecois French with a Quebecois accent (big sin) or b)they have deemed your French imperfect. I wouldn't describe either of these scenarios as common,e xactly, but they do occur, and they're not rare. People who grew up here can hear it instantly when someone is speaking French but isn't from here. For certain provincial idiot types, this is enough of an excuse to be a dick.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
After working 30 years in a large factory with 300 employees (90% francophone) you get to hear a lot about what people really think, Most Francophones are great people and fun to be around but theres a certain element in their demographic that is extremely racist.Xenaphobic and intolerant toward any one not fitting in with the their vision of the perfect Quebecoise,these people are usually strong supporters of a separate Quebec,If you are an Anglophone they can be very rude and standoffish and no matter how good your French is you are always considered the Maudit Anglaise.
If you feel you are being disrespected or rudly treated while speaking to some one in your less than perfect French you are probably just dealing with one of these intolerant types who hate all things English..Dont judge all Francophones by the actions of a few ignoramuses.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 AM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl81 View Post
Not to be completely rude, but if you're being treated badly in Montreal, it is NOT because you're speaking French rather than English. ESPECIALLY from transit workers! Two things:

1. Racism exists here. It is the only place I have lived in Canada (BC, Alberta, Montreal) where I have witnessed open racism. I am white/anglo so it hasn't been directed AT me (talk to me about language, tho - heh) but people here, especially some French Canadians, can be vile about different races.
I know you used the qualifier "smart" but isn't this sort of a borderline racist statement in itself?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 PM

589 posts, read 638,846 times
Montreal is still a solely French city, at least officially. I've never heard of speaking French not being welcome. Perhaps if you're in the West Island, but they're still mostly bilingual. Some Francophones are hostile towards non-native French speakers so perhaps that's it. Some are also very ràcist. I've seen Francophone Haitians treated like crap(even though their Francophone) because they're not Québécois.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM

247 posts, read 525,632 times
It's funny. I have a French last name, and a partly Québécois background (I guess I look the part), so when in town I frequently get mistaken for a local, with rapid-fire French coming at me. I smile and say, "Je suis désolé, je suis Américain e je parle un peu de français" and 95% of the time there's no problem.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 AM

307 posts, read 267,646 times
I am an American who lived in Quebec for 5 years (relocated for my future wife prior to moving away). Talk about racism? Once a week we would go to the old port and walk the historic streets (St. Paul, etc.) One particular evening a Quebecois man in his 50's passed by us and as he stared me down, he mustered in French. "Americans, I hate them today!", and he spat in my face. So, just by my face he could tell I was American, walking with my Canadian wife, and he hated me for it.

This is just one example of hundreds of experiences that I have; absurdities that I would correlate with racism against non-Quebecois. I know some uni-lingual Anglos in Montreal, and they are all limited to minimum waged jobs like scrubbing toilets because they are basically useless in any real work place there. Hell, if you don't speak French, you are pretty much living in the dark ages in a third world country!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM

127 posts, read 269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
I am an American who lived in Quebec for 5 years (relocated for my future wife prior to moving away). Talk about racism? Once a week we would go to the old port and walk the historic streets (St. Paul, etc.) One particular evening a Quebecois man in his 50's passed by us and as he stared me down, he mustered in French. "Americans, I hate them today!", and he spat in my face. So, just by my face he could tell I was American, walking with my Canadian wife, and he hated me for it.

This is just one example of hundreds of experiences that I have; absurdities that I would correlate with racism against non-Quebecois. I know some uni-lingual Anglos in Montreal, and they are all limited to minimum waged jobs like scrubbing toilets because they are basically useless in any real work place there. Hell, if you don't speak French, you are pretty much living in the dark ages in a third world country!
I have noticed that French from France and Americans are usually an easy target of racism . The reason is because they are whites from first world countries and they carry a history of colonialism and discrimination centuries ago, no one would believe them if they say they were victims of racism but this racism is real and I feel really bad for them. I remember reading an article about a French couple who were victims of employment discrimination and I was suprised of the comments on the bottom aprooving this as a historical payback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal