Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
At the end of the day, don't be proud to defend any kind of oppression, be it religious or linguistic. We are a product of nurture, not nature.
And yet, you were the one demanding to be served in English.

Speaking of linguistic oppression, I am an ESL teacher. It's not in my interests to get rid of English in Quebec, that's bad for business. I simply think it's polite to speak French, rather than demand people speak to me in English, when living in French communities. I thought that was common sense.

But apparently oppression only works when you are the victim quebon, not the other way around. Surely a unilingual francophone feels oppressed when they are reminded that people do not value or respect their language in their own backyard. When you remind them, speak all the French you want at home, but you better remember that the anglos are in charge here in North America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM

307 posts, read 267,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thank you for the advice.

Now, don't you have gun control, medicare, spiralling income inequality and the death of the middle class to worry about?
We basically have the same social & economic issues, but we are still the super power of the World. What is your excuse?

You are straying from the convo. Why can't you admit that the QC politicians are absurd and ridiculous? You can't be proud of what they are proposing for their own newly arrived "citizens"? Come here as long as you speak "French" and then we will mold your heritage to what we deem appropriate. I think you will have more to deal with in the future than the plain white Anglos. The Muslim is a different beast.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Speaking of linguistic oppression, I am an ESL teacher. It's not in my interests to get rid of English in Quebec, that's bad for business. I simply think it's polite to speak French, rather than demand people speak to me in English, when living in French communities. I thought that was common sense.

But apparently oppression only works when you are the victim quebon, not the other way around. Surely a unilingual francophone feels oppressed when they are reminded that people do not value or respect their language in their own backyard. When you remind them, speak all the French you want at home, but you better remember that the anglos are in charge here in North America
Is that what you tell your students? That you can learn a language by reading newspapers and watching TV? Then all schools should be an AMC theater and not a classroom.

I am no victim ma chere. J'ai appris le Francais, le vrai Francais et non tes "ouins" et tes "pis et estis". J'etais une pauvre bete qui a eu la chance de se liberer de cette province de conards. Un etre humain apprend une nouvelle langue pour s'improuver et par interest et non pour une province qui oppresse la population avec une langue et remplie leur esprit avec des idees folles.

Sorry about my missing accents cherie, but I don't have a French keyboard. Microsoft doesn't really place that as an importance.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
We basically have the same social & economic issues, but we are still the super power of the World. What is your excuse?

You are straying from the convo. Why can't you admit that the QC politicians are absurd and ridiculous? You can't be proud of what they are proposing for their own newly arrived "citizens"? Come here as long as you speak "French" and then we will mold your heritage to what we deem appropriate. I think you will have more to deal with in the future than the plain white Anglos. The Muslim is a different beast.
Quebec’s Charter of Values unveiled

Nice!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

You are being very narrow-minded with your train of thought. At the time I was a simple tourist. Your tourism is mostly Americans. So if you're in the service industry, learn English and be a better host to this notable economic force. Don't forget we love to come there and party at 18 with your strippers. Our horny American boys spew lots of coins your way. Just be nice to your neighbors.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,090,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
This is such a ridiculous statement that I think you cannot truly believe this yourself: you must be joking. I hope.
No, I'm not joking. Montreal is not a French city, it's a bilingual city, and knowledge of French should be no more of a requirement to running a business than knowledge of English. It is no less disrespectful to expect to be served in French in Montreal than to expect to be served in English in Montreal

As much as you want to stretch the definition of Montreal to the farthest corners of the province to justify your side of the argument, we are talking about the city of Montreal here, not some one-horse Laurentian town. In Montreal, only 50.3% of the population speaks French as a first language.

Quote:
Thank you pdw. Montreal is a cosmopolitan city. A wonderful city. A city where you should be able to roam the streets as a visitor or citizen and not be hassled by the ominous cloud of "language and now religious" oppression.

You are not doing your city any favors by oppressing the youth and new generation from learning a language of their choice. Yes, there are FC that are not allowed to attend an anglo school and vice versa. They keep the new generation even more segregated than the last. A student should be allowed to attend any school they wish and not base the fact on "your parent or your older siblings' education history".

Ridiculous.
I agree, but I think "oppression" is a bit of a strong word to use. to describe the situation.

Last edited by pdw; 09-10-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
No, I'm not joking. Montreal is not a French city, it's a bilingual city, and knowledge of French should be no more of a requirement to running a business than knowledge of English.
Thank you pdw. Montreal is a cosmopolitan city. A wonderful city. A city where you should be able to roam the streets as a visitor or citizen and not be hassled by the ominous cloud of "language and now religious" oppression.

You are not doing your city any favors by oppressing the youth and new generation from learning a language of their choice. Yes, there are FC that are not allowed to attend an anglo school and vice versa. They keep the new generation even more segregated than the last. A student should be allowed to attend any school they wish and not base the fact on "your parent or your older siblings' education history".

Ridiculous.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM

In Montreal, only 50.3% of the population speaks French as a first language.[/quote]

Secretly, I am sure it is far less. At least half must be allophones at home. It is fear and paranoia that probably makes them tick off that "French as a first language" box on the census form.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Imagine the party you guys will have when it finally goes under 50%! (Which inevitably will, given current immigrations.)

Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Imagine the party you guys will have when it finally goes under 50%! (Which inevitably will, given current immigrations.)

How can a self-respecting Anglo put up with this nonsense? It is intriguing to encounter such a rare specimen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal