U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:18 PM

127 posts, read 220,608 times

Advertisements

Im Canadian originally an immigrant from a francophone country , french was my first language since my parents came from different ethnic group and the only language they had in common was French, they are both academically very advanced in the language , so i was born speaking a very good and articulate french , i was told this by many friends .
When time comes to speak to a Cashier , store clerks , banks employee and especially especially subway ticket booth , i get a lot of meanness and agressivity , the expression of their face change and then they make this expression is if you come from another planet, i had lately a subway ticket clerk blow a pfffffff for saying to her"je vous remercie" . Things seem to be different when i speak English , i get a lot of helpfulness and politeness .after all these years spent in this city some things remain a mystery to my understanding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:24 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,769,514 times
Last time I was in Montreal I barely hear any French. Welcome to Canada were the official language is English. We are not a bi-lingual nation..that is bureaucratic myth.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
I live in Montreal and while bilingualism is apparent as everytime i address some one in French they invariably respond in English even though i continue to speak French,must be my obvious Anglo accent., In my daily comings and goings in Lasalle i find it rare to actually run into fellow Anglophone, Not sure why you are getting rude treatment Jazz most people are rather friendly,Although its a given that Montreal Trasnsit workers are generally an overpaid miserable bunch of lazy union workers who seem to delight in being rude and obnoxious to the public.
When i was working in a factory for 30 years with 350 Francophones i did notice some animosity shown to visible minorities and French people from France not anything that was widespread but there seemed to be a noticeable resentment from some usually the separatist element

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 AM

247 posts, read 434,113 times
It's funny, when I book a hotel or call a restaurant in Montréal, with a single "bonjour" they peg me as an American and continue in English, no matter how much I roll that R. Good ears.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,277,280 times
Montreal (although even moreso outside Montreal in rural Quebec) has a lot of racism, particularly to francophone immigrants (and if we want to get real - we're talking North Africa or Haiti). Sorry you felt so unwelcome. We live outside Montreal but my son's preschool owner is from Haiti and she's been treated like garbage in Montreal (she is francophone and highly educated, but she has a Haitian accent of course).

Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,012,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Last time I was in Montreal I barely hear any French. Welcome to Canada were the official language is English. We are not a bi-lingual nation..that is bureaucratic myth.
Was it in 1920?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Basically Quebec is French the rest of Canada is English, the bilingual status is merely a federal government technicality that assures people of both languages can be served in the language of their choice in any federal government institution and doesnt mean all peoples of Canada are bilingual..
Certainly there are areas where bilingualism is more abundant, Montreal, northern NB and eastern Ontario

Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,963,742 times
I'm sorry you had to experience this. I don't know if it was for language or not. Check the person's name tag (if they have one), if they have a Francophone name, it's almost certainly not because of your language. (Although this is not always the case, especially in Quebec where french names on anglos and english names on francos are commonplace.) If it makes you feel any better, it's not just francophones who experience language discrimination by STM employees. STM clerk assaults commuter over language, victim says - Montreal - CBC News Since the 1960s, there has been this increasing hostility between the French and English communities in Quebec. I'm sorry if you had to be caught in the middle of this. My theory is if you were speaking English, they might have mistook you for a tourist. Since you're not a native of Quebec, perhaps they couldn't tell your accent was from a French-speaking country. Sometimes people are friendlier with tourists.

Last edited by pdw; 07-25-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 49,555 times
I've been to Montreal for weekends numerous times... It felt truly like a French city. I heard more English on the streets of Paris and Brussels than in Montreal. Some people didn't even speak English.... so how is French not welcome there?!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenika View Post
I've been to Montreal for weekends numerous times... It felt truly like a French city. I heard more English on the streets of Paris and Brussels than in Montreal. Some people didn't even speak English.... so how is French not welcome there?!
I'm not getting the impression its our op's French thats causing him problems either he's a visible minority that has run into some racial problems or he's some one who's had the misfortune to have to deal with Montreal's transit workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal