U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 AM

21,921 posts, read 23,488,911 times

Advertisements

I recently went on a cripplingly slow but very scenic train ride from Montreal to NYC and started to wonder what if any plans there are for high speed rail connections in Montreal. The city seems to be in a sort of geographic sweet spot where it has multiple cities of significance (NYC, Toronto, Boston, Ottawa, Quebec City, Philadelphia, Providence, Albany) that are far enough to be an arduous drive, but close enough that flying wouldn't be faster than high speed rail. It also seems like Montreal seems central to a connection between the BosWash corridor and the QC-Windsor Corridor as the other city in the latter, Toronto, wod either have to do some extensive tunneling and blasting in order to make a more direct route or go theogh a long route around the western end of Lake Ontario and then through the path of the former Erie Canal before heading down the Hudson.

I know Drapeau advocated a TGV of sorts to NYC, but have there been any more recent plans or development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
As 95% of the NYC/Montreal rail link would be in the USA i'm not sure why you are expecting Montreal to pick up the tab for the whole deal, If NY thinks its needed and its a good deal let them build it, we wont charge for use of Central station and may kick in for that section of the track that goes from Montreal to the US border.
I hardly think if theres no move/motivation to institute a high speed rail system through the Quebec City Toronto corridor that theres going to be any interest in highspeed rail to NYC.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM

21,921 posts, read 23,488,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As 95% of the NYC/Montreal rail link would be in the USA i'm not sure why you are expecting Montreal to pick up the tab for the whole deal, If NY thinks its needed and its a good deal let them build it, we wont charge for use of Central station and may kick in for that section of the track that goes from Montreal to the US border.
I hardly think if theres no move/motivation to institute a high speed rail system through the Quebec City Toronto corridor that theres going to be any interest in highspeed rail to NYC.
I don't feel Montreal should pick up the tab for the thing--I just think it could be a huge boon for Montreal (and helpful for myself), so I wanted to know if anyone's heard of any recent plans or advocacy for high speed routes or improvents to current routes that would affect Montreal regardless of which agency is doing the work.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM

21,775 posts, read 27,190,919 times
I am sure Montreal (actually the Quebec government) would get on board for this but as jambo said most of the push would have to come from the States.

Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor is where the attention is in Canada for this type of project.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:31 PM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't feel Montreal should pick up the tab for the thing--I just think it could be a huge boon for Montreal (and helpful for myself), so I wanted to know if anyone's heard of any recent plans or advocacy for high speed routes or improvents to current routes that would affect Montreal regardless of which agency is doing the work.
Theres occasional talk of high speed rail but the enormous cost of setting up such a venture is something no politician or private enterprise is willing to risk as theres no assurances that ridership will be such that the endeavor will be a financial success.
Personally i'd just as soon take my car to those route destinations, but if i did want to take a train the current infrastructure will have me to any of those destinations within a reasonable enough time as to eliminate the need for tax payer funded HSR systems IMO.
Looks good on paper=
High Speed Rail in Canada

Old 09-19-2013, 01:39 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The previous (liberal) government in Quebec discussed a Montreal-New York link many times and was strongly in favor (as well as the more well-known QC-Windsor corridor). However, most large infrastructure projects in Canada have a significant amount of federal funding, and IIRC that's where things were being held up -- there's no real federal policy on the development of high-speed rail in Canada.

For such a thing to work, the stars must be aligned: federal (US/Can), provincial/state (QC/NY), etc. It would take quite a bit of political will for it to happen.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM

4,694 posts, read 8,454,453 times
There's been much talk of it in both Albany and Quebec City and both know it would be an excellent idea, but it ultimately hasn't been built because the Americans are simply too broke to build infrastructure projects of that magnitude during this particular period of history. New York State is in debt, there's sequestration at the federal level, and governments are having a hard enough time maintaining and upgrading existing infrastructure as needed, let alone investing in new projects to spur increased trade. I focus on the Americans because most of the route is in the US and they need to be fully on board before this sort of thing can get done. I guarantee you Quebec would be thrilled at the prospect and would definitely build to the border and maybe upgrade the stations.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:19 PM

247 posts, read 431,338 times
Albany can't even get mass transit tracks built from downtown to the northern suburbs, this isn't happening in the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal