U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 PM

152 posts, read 479,909 times

Advertisements

Okay so im looking to purchase a computer monitor online and i see this one.

HP S-IPS 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor With 12ms Response Time (ZR24W) - Black - Refurbished : 23" - 24" Monitors - Best Buy Canada

When i try to purchase it, i get this message

The following errors occurred:
Currently, our suppliers and/or manufacturers are only providing this product in English which is not in compliance with the Quebec language legislation. Therefore, it is not available for shipping within the province of Quebec. Customers within Quebec may still purchase this product as long as it is shipped to a province outside of Quebec.

I had the same message from bestbuy.ca, staples.ca and futureshop.ca. Not only was it for this monitor, it was the same for every hp or asus monitor.

What kind of weird policy is this? So they cannot send it to montreal because of some law that i read online there is?

So basically amazon.ca is the only way i can make a monitor purchase? This is just amazing how can you cannot purchase it b/c its montreal? Im not even 100 percent sure if i can purchase it or not on amazon.ca being that im in montreal.

How do you all buy electronics then? I assume you have to drive to the bestbuy, staples, futureshop in montreal to purchase it b/c they won't ship it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 05:36 PM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times
For the same nonsense reason that you can't access the Anthropologie (despite its French spelling!) website in Quebec.

Check this out:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/html/quebec.html

Crazy or what???

Yeah, you'll have to go into a store. Hopefully they have refurbished ones there. Or hopefully THEY can receive shipment for you.

"Welcome to Quebec, where we strive to make things more difficult for everybody."

Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
I had the same message from bestbuy.ca, staples.ca and futureshop.ca. Not only was it for this monitor, it was the same for every hp or asus monitor.

What kind of weird policy is this? So they cannot send it to montreal because of some law that i read online there is?

(...)

How do you all buy electronics then? I assume you have to drive to the bestbuy, staples, futureshop in montreal to purchase it b/c they won't ship it?
A few people here are going to have a field day with the middle part I quoted above...

...but I randomly checked 10 out of 28 HP and Asus monitors on futureshop.ca and I only got that message for the refurbished HP you wanted to purchase. All of the others could be shipped anywhere in Quebec.

I have ordered electronics online from many different sources including Future Shop, Best Buy, Dell and Amazon, and I've never come across such a message.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:45 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
When i try to purchase it, i get this message

The following errors occurred:
Currently, our suppliers and/or manufacturers are only providing this product in English which is not in compliance with the Quebec language legislation. Therefore, it is not available for shipping within the province of Quebec. Customers within Quebec may still purchase this product as long as it is shipped to a province outside of Quebec.

?
I,ve never encountered such a policy but if thats what is happening it shows me not every one is happy continuing to play Quebecs strict linguistic game any more,, i wonder if its some kind of backlash from this lunacy from the separatist government.
Big retailers taking French sign battle to Quebec court - Montreal - CBC News

Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 AM

123 posts, read 280,605 times
have you tried Electronics For Less Canada - AV Furniture, Accessories, Housewares, Audio & Video - Toronto or newegg.ca? on electronic4less you might save some tax as well.

I buy electronics from B&H of NY, they ship to Montreal.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,921 times
Talking Hello

Have you tried using [url=http://www.aftus.net]Anything From the US[/url]

I used them a few times. Basically you create an account on their site, add the products you want to buy [desc, price, product link, etc...]. After filling out some papper work, i was able to use my canadian credit card and have it shipped to montreal. It was so easy.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 AM

166 posts, read 83,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
For the same nonsense reason that you can't access the Anthropologie (despite its French spelling!) website in Quebec.

Check this out:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/html/quebec.html

Crazy or what???

Yeah, you'll have to go into a store. Hopefully they have refurbished ones there. Or hopefully THEY can receive shipment for you.

"Welcome to Quebec, where we strive to make things more difficult for everybody."

Darn, it just dawned on me that a company website should cater to customers in French. If they don't apply these rules for website and other communications, they might as well give up on packaging also.

It may be making life difficult for whosoever is disgusted by the prospect of serving the french speaking community in Quebec, but it's worth bugging some of you when everything weighs in.

A happy new year to you.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Darn, it just dawned on me that a company website should cater to customers in French. If they don't apply these rules for website and other communications, they might as well give up on packaging also.

It may be making life difficult for whosoever is disgusted by the prospect of serving the french speaking community in Quebec, but it's worth bugging some of you when everything weighs in.

A happy new year to you.
You totally missed the point. My point was that a GOVERNMENT has no right to tell a STORE what language they must use to make a sale, especially online. Why should an English company need to make a French website? Also, browsers (at least Chrome) has built-in translation. Whenever I go to a website that's French, it automatically translates it (poorly, but still) to English. I'm assuming that it does the same in reverse. The company that is selling the merchandise should not have to bear the brunt of maintaining their website in a language that only accounts for a small portion of its sales... and a government certainly has no right to tell the company that it must do so.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You totally missed the point. My point was that a GOVERNMENT has no right to tell a STORE what language they must use to make a sale, especially online. Why should an English company need to make a French website? Also, browsers (at least Chrome) has built-in translation. Whenever I go to a website that's French, it automatically translates it (poorly, but still) to English. I'm assuming that it does the same in reverse. The company that is selling the merchandise should not have to bear the brunt of maintaining their website in a language that only accounts for a small portion of its sales... and a government certainly has no right to tell the company that it must do so.

How do you mean a government has no right to do so? Why shouldn't they legislate on language when the need arises. I am sure some laws are site-specific to Connecticut too. They may not have to do with language because the focus on communicating in the language of the majority is not important in people's minds there.

As I have stated, the problem in Québec is that if this is allowed for companies that do in store business in both languages, then the precedent it creates is that they may not want to bother communicating in French to their customer base because they are not enlightened enough to do so. This is where legislators come in, and they have to whether you like it or not.

But since we are all enlightened, good at business, and because French speakers here will spend the dollars, we have resolved to make our website whole, and thus cater to both language groups, as of today...
Bienvenue à Anthropologie - Anthropologie.com

Old 12-31-2014, 03:01 PM

And another thing Dawn, when you go shopping somewhere, if anyone tells you that you are only a negligible portion of their sales, please tell them what I think you are entitled to tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal