U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2013, 02:33 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,962,964 times
Reputation: 857

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
pdw, have you ever been East of the Decarie, North of the rivière des Prairies or on the South shore?
I suppose to you, Quebec is English-speaking because Canada is a mostly English-speaking country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,275,626 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
pdw, have you ever been East of the Decarie, North of the rivière des Prairies or on the South shore?
I don't think so. Actually, I've asked him that before (more than once, if I recall) and he doesn't answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,275,626 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I suppose to you, Quebec is English-speaking because Canada is a mostly English-speaking country.
You ALWAYS avoid that question. You've never lived outside your anglo neighbourhoods. I'm not sure you've ever really been off the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,962,964 times
Reputation: 857
I don't spend my life moving around to different places. I'd rather stay with my friends and family. That doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion. First you say Quebec isn't bilingual because it's mostly French-speaking outside of Montreal. Now Montreal can't even be bilingual? To me, Canada, Quebec and Montreal are all bilingual. That's not some kind of false statement that you can disprove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,275,626 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I don't spend my life moving around to different places. I'd rather stay with my friends and family. That doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion. First you say Quebec isn't bilingual because it's mostly French-speaking outside of Montreal. Now Montreal can't even be bilingual? To me, Canada, Quebec and Montreal are all bilingual. That's not some kind of false statement that you can disprove.
Okay so no, you've never actually been outside your anglo-bubble, correct? You don't need to move there but you can spend a few hours outside your bubble can't you? It takes about 25 minutes on a Sunday to go from Place Bonaventure to 99% francophone towns that exist around Montreal, I know, because I do it several days a week.

I can most certainly prove that Quebec as a province is not bilingual. If you want to ignore the law (fine), then come here to St-Jean hospital and try and get services in English. I spent several hours at the emergency room two weeks ago translating inscription and pre-triage for my sister's friend. You won't get served in English at a Couche-Tard. About 20 French schools to 1 run-down English school. I have to drive my son to St-Hyacinthe (bizarrely enough) to find a bilingual psychologist, and she was barely bilingual, we still spoke 90% French.

You know English areas of Montreal, yes. You don't know the province of Quebec. You don't have any idea what it is like for "us" anglos living outside that bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 06:20 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,962,964 times
Reputation: 857
So if you can't get service in French in Medicine Hat, Alberta; it means that Canada isn't a bilingual country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 PM
 
3,072 posts, read 4,275,626 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
So if you can't get service in French in Medicine Hat, Alberta; it means that Canada isn't a bilingual country?
Are you going to try and claim that Alberta is a bilingual province?

Canada is in practice, only bilingual in certain areas. On paper, yes, people state (per law) that Canada is a bilingual country. I know this because I've lived out west and I've lived in Quebec outside Montreal. You would rarely find service in French in Vancouver, and you would rarely (a bit more so, but not often) get service in English outside Montreal, aside from tourism.

You are the only user here who I've seen uses ad hominem arguments as standard posting style. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 07:00 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,962,964 times
Reputation: 857
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I'm still going to defend my community when English is being treated like a foreign language in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. I'm still going to defend my community when English is being treated like a foreign language in Quebec.
It's not a foreign language but it's certainly not the main language in this part of Canada. Not even in the Ville de Montréal in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,962,964 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not a foreign language but it's certainly not the main language in this part of Canada. Not even in the Ville de Montréal in fact.
English isn't the main language of say, Cape Town, South Africa; either, but no one there is claiming it's an Afrikaans city and other languages should be kept in check to make certain that their populations don't increase and "change" things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top