U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 PM

16,648 posts, read 26,615,464 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is moving to Montreal from Toronto. I just recently came back to Montreal after living in the States for 10+ years, so I can't adequately guide her and answer her question, so I'm hoping that you can help.

She's looking at an apartment on Gouin Blvd. in Pierrefonds (in the 9000 block to be specific) and wants to know how it is in terms of safety for a single woman.

Does anyone have any input that I can pass onto her?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,264 times
I don't know anybody who lives in the area but I have driven through there many times. If the address is correct, it is in the western end of the Ahuntsic-Cartierville arrondissement, in a neighborhood called Saraguay. That stretch of Gouin is full of recent McMansions and has looks fairly well-to-do, I don't think there's any safety issue there.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I don't know anybody who lives in the area but I have driven through there many times. If the address is correct, it is in the western end of the Ahuntsic-Cartierville arrondissement, in a neighborhood called Saraguay. That stretch of Gouin is full of recent McMansions and has looks fairly well-to-do, I don't think there's any safety issue there.
I looked at it on Google Maps and didn't see any large homes -- just a few small single-family homes across the street from the apartment building (it's 9840 Gouin Ouest, the one she's looking at). I think the closest cross street is Sunnybrooke.

I wonder if we're talking about two different areas. The one that I'm seeing doesn't look affluent.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:03 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
If working downtown the commute during normal rush hour from that location could become a Pain in the butt.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If working downtown the commute during normal rush hour from that location could become a Pain in the butt.
Commute is not an issue. She's only concerned about safety.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:31 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Montreal is about as safe a city as can be expected..

Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I looked at it on Google Maps and didn't see any large homes -- just a few small single-family homes across the street from the apartment building (it's 9840 Gouin Ouest, the one she's looking at). I think the closest cross street is Sunnybrooke.

I wonder if we're talking about two different areas. The one that I'm seeing doesn't look affluent.
We're indeed talking about two different areas, I was misled by what you wrote in your OP ("in the 9000 block to be specific"). 9840 is indeed in Pierrefonds, in an older area and not as wealthy/ostentatious. I still don't think safety would be an issue there but I have no first-hand or even second-hand anecdotes to convey.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 AM

1,246 posts, read 882,434 times
I grew up in Roxboro, which isn't too far away from where your friend is thinking of moving. Personally, I'd move a little further west. Back in the day, the area around the former A Ma Baie train station (now renamed Sunnybrooke, I see) was a little dodgy due to some older apartment buildings located near it.

Still, that was decades ago. Things might have changed.

Here is a link to the City of Montreal's Pierrefonds/Roxboro borough.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I grew up in Roxboro, which isn't too far away from where your friend is thinking of moving. Personally, I'd move a little further west. Back in the day, the area around the former A Ma Baie train station (now renamed Sunnybrooke, I see) was a little dodgy due to some older apartment buildings located near it.

Still, that was decades ago. Things might have changed.

Here is a link to the City of Montreal's Pierrefonds/Roxboro borough.
Thank you very much! Valuable information and much appreciated.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 PM

4,694 posts, read 8,454,453 times
My girlfriend lived near there. It's always been a bit of a dodgy area, not exactly dangerous though. Moving a bit further west on Gouin would be advisable. Or a bit further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or