Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM

30 posts, read 89,100 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Montreal most or all of next year at Concordia university.... I plan to get an apartment there. I'd like to be in a decent neighborhood and keep rent to around $1000-$1200. I won't have a car, so local stuff to do and access to public transport would be key.

Any neighborhood recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated....

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM

277 posts, read 785,763 times
Hey Mike, which campus will you be studying at?

Either way, it really doesn't matter which neighbourhood you're in while studying at Concordia. I studied there, rented in Verdun, and I found taking the metro to Guy-Concordia an absolute breeze. Other students from out of town lived in the Plateau, NDG, Rosemont, CDN, etc. etc.

One piece of advice I got before moving there was *not* to live downtown, and I'm glad I took. Montreal is unique in that you can find an interesting neighbourhood to claim your turf there. All of the fun and interesting stuff to do is not downtown anyways and is easily accessible by metro.

$1000-1200 is more than enough to live like a king there. You can find a decent 3 1/2 from $600-800 in an awesome neighbourhood.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Just west of Concordias downtown campus on and around De Maisoneuve blvd between Guy St and Atwater St are dozens of highrise apartment complexes, just a 5 minute walk to the campus.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,977 times
Hey Mike!

Check out this website, it helps find your best neighbourhood in Canada and Montreal is one of the cities they offer

Navut - Find Your Next Neighborhood, Easily

You can enter what kind of stuff you want around you and it will show what areas have what you need, pretty cool!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 AM

Good site but in my search it leaned heavily on the south shore when looking for a 2 bedroom apartment..

Old 11-16-2013, 07:31 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
I'd avoid living downtown or in areas like NDG or The Plateau, very expensive!

As the member who lived in Verdun posted, if you are near a metro, you won't have a problem getting to and from Concordia.

St. Henri is another alternative. It used to have a bit of bad reputation, but it's gentrified somewhat and is an interesting area.

Here is a link to some rentals in that area on Kijiji.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I'd avoid living downtown or in areas like NDG or The Plateau, very expensive!

As the member who lived in Verdun posted, if you are near a metro, you won't have a problem getting to and from Concordia.

St. Henri is another alternative. It used to have a bit of bad reputation, but it's gentrified somewhat and is an interesting area.

Here is a link to some rentals in that area on Kijiji.
You can add the communities of Point St Charles,Griffentown and Ville Emard to the list,they are served by several metro stations. (Charlevoix to Monk i believe.)

Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,467 times
You are right! I should have thought of the Point and Ville Emard/Cote St. Luc!

I met my husband when we both lived in the same small apartment building in Ville Emard. We lived almost right around the corner from the Monk metro station -- very convenient!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
You are right! I should have thought of the Point and Ville Emard/Cote St. Luc!

I met my husband when we both lived in the same small apartment building in Ville Emard. We lived almost right around the corner from the Monk metro station -- very convenient!
Maybe a reason to move back and enjoy the nostalgia of where it all started..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM

30 posts, read 89,100 times
Shaughnessy Village is very close, how is that neighborhood?

I am looking at furnished studios, and they tend to be a bit further away and in the $1500 range, but they all are very nicely furnished and often include gyms (a big plus).

I am looking at Argyle, Trylon, and La Cite, if anyone has any opinions.

I will be in town to search next week, so I'm gearing up!

Merci!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal