U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 AM

152 posts, read 482,715 times

Advertisements

I noticed that second cup is opened 24 hours a day and there is one that is pretty close to my apartment. Same with a mcdonalds. I'm asking this b/c my internet disconnect every night at a certain time and there may be certain times when i need to be online at the time and my internet disconnects for 25 minutes in the middle of the night.

Can you just go in and use the wifi or do you need to purchase something? The thing is i will be in a hurry as i would be needing to be on the computer the moment im in there. I obviously dont mind purchasing something but it would be a huge problem for me b/c i would be playing online poker and in a middle of a tournament and thus i cant really waste any minutes while im there and need to connect to the wifi asap. Obviously if i go in i can purchase soemthing and then go and take a seat. But do they mind if you just go and sit down and use the wifi when you come in and then purchase something say 5-10 minutes later on after you get settled down?

In the usa, every mcdonalds they dont even seem to care if you just go there and use your computer though everytime i go there, obviously i buy something to eat but rarely do i have a computer with me when im outside back in the usa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 AM

Also if i ever do this and go out in the middle of the night i can care less if i need to pay 100 dollars just to use the wifi. I just want to know if it would be a problem if i just go in and then start using the wifi at second cup or would they say something. I know for many ppl its not big deal b/c they can go in and then buy something and then get on their laptop but for me... i need to sign on to the wifi immediately and then log into the pokersite b/c i would be disconnected from the time im leaving my apartment to the second cup so i dont want to be sitting out any more than i already have been.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:07 AM

34,421 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Have you ever called your internet provider to inquire why you lose their signal every night?
i"ve been with several providers over the years and never encountered such a problem..
Going to a coffee shop to use their wifi signal is a good plan B but will buying a coffee every couple of hours break your bank? you might get away with not buying something once or twice before the manager says something but wouldnt you consider it kinda rude to enter some ones place of business use their facilities for several hours in the form of WiFi,chair and table,bathroom and contribute nothing for the convenience?

Old 11-15-2013, 04:19 AM

903 posts, read 2,243,908 times
Jambo his internet comes with his apartment. The building manager says they called videotron and that the outage is normal..
And this thread is asking if he has to buy something the moment he walks in rather then getting reconnected to his poker game first then buying something.. I don't think he intends not to buy anything at all.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:26 AM

Yes i know going to a coffee place is a good plan B if wifi goes out. But it goes out every night same time... thing is at the moment i dont need to be on at that time b/c im not playign a tournament. I dont play tournaments that late anyway but there are certain tournaments that i play during the day that can last very late and if im still in the tournament, i will need to have internet at that time.

I wanted to know if i need to buy something the moment im in there. Because the moment i come in, the first thing i need to do is connect to the wifi asap and log back into my poker account b/c i will be sitting out of the tournament during that time when i leave my apartment to the place. I can care less if i come in and just give the place 50 bucks if i can just connect to the wifi asap and then start playing and not having to need to order something the moment i arrive and getting interrupted b/c that will waste a good amount of time for me in a tournament during that time. I mean i dont mind coming in and finding a place to sit and connect to wifi immedilatey and then log into poker account and start playing again... then walk to the counter while im holding my laptop in one hand and ordering something while paying 1/2 the attention ordering while other 1/2 playing.

Because the last thign i would want is to come in and have to order something first that takes a few minutes and then i can connect to the internet a few minutes later and then the moment i connect, i lost a ton of chips. If you know about online poker if you are sitting out in a tournament, your chips are going to be lost everytime you sit out and you could essentially lose a tournament b/c of this as oppose to playing it and then losing. I lost a good amt already b/c of this problem when i stayed at my other apartment before i moved to this one. Basically internet went out when im in a ton of games and when my intenret came bacjk... every table i was in was finished adn then i checked my results and i lost in every one of them. A few of these were tournaments while others were something else.

The thing is im actually going to time myself b/c i know the internet goes out at 2:40am every night. So if im still in the tournament at say 1:00am, i will make sure i put on my outside clothes around this time b/c the moment its 1:55am... i will leave my apt immediately. Reason is b/c in this poker site... every 55 after the hour there is a 5 minute break for all tournaments so if it takes me 10 minutes to get to that place... then i will be disconnected for a total of 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes. However... if its close to 1:55am and i know that the tournament will probably end before 2:30am... then i will just stay inside my apt b/c i know it happens 100 percent of the time at 2:40am till like 3:05am or so. So essentially if im there... i will be there from 2:05am to whenever the tournament ends.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM

34,421 posts, read 41,527,053 times
I'm sure you can walk in sit down set up your stuff then go buy a coffee.
As for your Wifi getting turned off i suspect from what marc said your landlord is shutting off the wifi every night as i'm on Videotron and the wifi is available 24/7.Having it shut down every night is not normal..

Old 11-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Okay that would be good then. Im pretty sure its a timer that is doing this or the router reboots every night as this is the reason its happening same time every night. Well at least i know theres a second cup and mcd around here.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,026,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
I noticed that second cup is opened 24 hours a day and there is one that is pretty close to my apartment. Same with a mcdonalds. I'm asking this b/c my internet disconnect every night at a certain time and there may be certain times when i need to be online at the time and my internet disconnects for 25 minutes in the middle of the night.

Can you just go in and use the wifi or do you need to purchase something? The thing is i will be in a hurry as i would be needing to be on the computer the moment im in there. I obviously dont mind purchasing something but it would be a huge problem for me b/c i would be playing online poker and in a middle of a tournament and thus i cant really waste any minutes while im there and need to connect to the wifi asap. Obviously if i go in i can purchase soemthing and then go and take a seat. But do they mind if you just go and sit down and use the wifi when you come in and then purchase something say 5-10 minutes later on after you get settled down?

In the usa, every mcdonalds they dont even seem to care if you just go there and use your computer though everytime i go there, obviously i buy something to eat but rarely do i have a computer with me when im outside back in the usa.
You seem to overthink everything and turn it into such drama. Go in to Second Cup. Set up, then buy something. If they don't like it, they'll let you know. What are they going to do, have you arrested? Pilloried in the public square?
I'm sure it will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or