U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Unilingual?

No, not at all. Not sure if you are reading it much over there in Ontario, but many francophone children are in bilingual immersion by age 11 now here. The government would like to expand this to all of them. I don't know many unilingual French who can get jobs in Montreal. Nearly all job advertisements demand bilingualism or at least anglais fonctionnel.

I am an ESL teacher here and job demand for me has never been better!
Look at people like Marie Malavoy. The government wants to keep the population deaf, dumb and blind so they'll believe the myth that French is under threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,278,019 times
Yeah these idiots are only clinging to theoretical language debates because they've screwed up everything else... I don't think that will fly well in reality. But Quebec is Quebec so you never know.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 AM

1,284 posts, read 900,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like my scenario, i came to Quebec in the mid 70's knowing no French after a couple of years landed a job at the Elmhurst Dairy on Montreal West, 30+ years later i'm happily retired and can converse in French, however that was then,i doubt very much as a unilingual Anglo i would have that same opportunity today as much has changed over the last 30 years...
Since you told us where you worked, I'll reveal that my husband worked at Humpty Dumpty Snack Foods in Lachine. It was bought up by Small Fry Snack Foods, and then ensuantly by Old Dutch Snack Foods.

"Much has changed over the last 30 years...". You are certainly right there. Look what happened to Humpty Dumpty/Old Dutch! It was an institution here for a long time. Who couldn't notice the company while driving along the 20?

My husband retired before the company shut down. He was very lucky; his timing was spot on.

I know some people who worked there, both partners, and they had mortgages and kids.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:45 AM

1,284 posts, read 900,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Yeah these idiots are only clinging to theoretical language debates because they've screwed up everything else... I don't think that will fly well in reality. But Quebec is Quebec so you never know.
Language issues here in Quebec is the reason that Old Dutch Snack Foods in Lachine ceased to be; Canadian headquarters are in Winnipeg and the big cheeses there were fed up with all the problems in the Quebec plant.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 AM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
Language issues here in Quebec is the reason that Old Dutch Snack Foods in Lachine ceased to be; Canadian headquarters are in Winnipeg and the big cheeses there were fed up with all the problems in the Quebec plant.
Many companies and their head offices have left Quebec over the last 40 years most likely because of the financial instability that the possibility of separatism brings or having to kowtow to Quebecs restrictive language laws..That outflow of companies, money,the brains,hardships for individual families All this doesnt seem to matter to the separatist government , Heres their main focus=
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-la...names-1.689788
I sometimes wonder at the heights of prosperity Quebec and particularly Montreal could have achieved had this stupid separation idea never came along it certainly would have had stories like this one going the other way
http://www.vigile.net/The-brain-drain-of-anglos-from

Last edited by jambo101; 11-17-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or