Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 AM

26,781 posts, read 37,757,067 times

Advertisements

Regarding the OP, it strikes me as odd that these retailers would refrain from posting bilingual signs at Fairview. Many if not most of them would be national (eg based in Toronto) or American, would they not?

Nothing in the law prevents them from posting bilingual signs of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 AM
pdw

2,627 posts, read 3,038,665 times
Yeah, but groups like Mouvement Québec Français try and scare them out of doing so for fear of losing anglophobic customers.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,069,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nothing in the law prevents them from posting bilingual signs of course.
Yet the majority if not all of stores in the mall choose to post no English signs in a major Anglo demographic
Curious coincidence?.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yet the majority if not all of stores in the mall choose to post no English signs in a major Anglo demographic
Curious coincidence?.
Why don't you give them a call in Mississauga or Nutley, New Jersey and ask them why?

Old 12-03-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Why don't you give them a call in Mississauga or Nutley, New Jersey and ask them why?
Why What? The topic is about Fairview Mall in Montreals west end and its lack of bilingual signage in a large Anglo demographic,, i very much doubt any one in Mississauga or Nutley, New Jersey would have a clue about this unique to Quebec issue.
As said before with only a dozen people showing up to protest its obvious no one cares any more,if Quebec's attitude is to go completely unilingual French fine, the promised land is close at hand.
Looking like the last accomplishment for the Quebecois is to have that referendum on separation They can rest assured they'll have my full support in their efforts to leave Canada.

Last edited by jambo101; 12-03-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Why What? The topic is about Fairview Mall in Montreals west end and its lack of bilingual signage in a large Anglo demographic,, i very much doubt any one in Mississauga or Nutley, New Jersey would have a clue about this unique to Quebec issue.
Because the head offices of the store chains making these decisions are most likely located outside Quebec.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Because the head offices of the store chains making these decisions are most likely located outside Quebec.
I doubt very much the unilingual nature of this issue has anything to do with head offices in Mississauga or Nutley, New Jersey that are probably staffed entirely by Anglos, calling for one of their properties in a major Anglo demographic in Montreal to post all signs in French only doesnt sound plausible.
Although i think you miss the point of my post,i was just commenting on the futility of this handful of protesters protesting the lack of bilingual signs in Fairview mall, the point was to point out that no one cares any more , go ahead and post all the signs in French,i certainly dont care anymore...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,214,787 times
Correct, most people don't care.

Truth is, most of the anglos who do care, ended up leaving the province. As I recall, both you and pdw, who care very much about this issue, have jumped ship too? My grandmother (old Irish Montrealer) was/still is very passionate about anglo rights here, but she left 30 years ago and whining from Vancouver isn't given much stock here.

So, generally the only ones left behind are those of us who can read French and don't really care if the signs are only in French.

It seems the loudest complainers are those who chose not to stay behind and rather cry out against Quebec from behind the border of Ontario or elsewhere

Old 12-03-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I doubt very much the unilingual nature of this issue has anything to do with head offices in Mississauga or Nutley, New Jersey that are probably staffed entirely by Anglos, calling for one of their properties in a major Anglo demographic in Montreal to post all signs in French only doesnt sound plausible.
Well I can tell you it's not a 22-year-old manager in a store in a mall in Montreal who decides what signage and marketing products are going to be used in the store of a Toronto-based or American-based chain. I suppose they can make recommendations but for a clue about who decides these things look at who talks to the media when one of these issues arises - always someone from head office.

Methinks you're seeing windmills all over the place. Don't forget to duck!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM

The problem in my opinion is not a lack of Anglo's becoming bilingual and trying their best to fit in with the French flavor of Quebec but the almost total non acceptance of the francophone to realize the Anglophone and other cultures are also part of Quebec, the prevailing attitude is Quebec belongs to Francophone's exclusively and they are the only rightful residents of the province,all others are not welcome or wanted.
In my case i've been here 40yrs, became bilingual,raised a family who are all bilingual and all i see is more linguistic rules and regulations,more language police more intolerance toward the non francophone demographic and now even religious freedoms potentially being curtailed by a government who's sole purpose is to separate from Canada. At this point i dont see any point to my continued presence in a place i'm so obviously not wanted or respected as a co culture of Quebec .
My wife came from the Granby area and is the last of a long line of empire loyalists, the whole Anglo community she grew up in is no longer as every one has either died or moved to other parts of Canada, even the town she grew up in West Shefford no longer exists as it was merged into Bromont,
Like many we are here until she retires then count us among those who have left Quebec...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal