U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2013, 04:15 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,776 posts, read 27,196,113 times
Reputation: 8567

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
English in Quebec is not a product of tourism or immigration any more than French is.
All of the languages present here are products of migrations. Even Mohawk and Inuktitut are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2013, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,776 posts, read 27,196,113 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
So you're using the fact that the novelty of the French language is a reason your family wants to visit Quebec as an argument that English is a foreign language there? Quebec has been inhabited by Europeans for 400 years, 250 of which have been under the British crown. By the establishment of Lower Canada, French speakers were not even a two-thirds majority in the province. Montreal was even for many years a majority English city. For many more years, English speakers formed a plurality. Francophones form 50.3% of the population, and this is far from the historic low. Montreal was built from a small trading post to the largest city in the country, mostly because of the British. Almost every single building you see in Old Montreal, the main tourist destination in the city, was built by the British, not the French.
While the English does have an important historic presence, you are greatly exaggerating it here. For example, the many anglo majority years you refer to actually number about 20 years out of about 375 years of Montreal history in total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 AM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,954,600 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
All of the languages present here are products of migrations. Even Mohawk and Inuktitut are.
That's why I said "any more than French is".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 08:03 AM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,954,600 times
Reputation: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While the English does have an important historic presence, you are greatly exaggerating it here. For example, the many anglo majority years you refer to actually number about 20 years out of about 375 years of Montreal history in total.
Just because first language English speakers only formed a majority for 30 years doesn't make English a foreign language in Montreal. If you counted native Irish speakers any other immigrants who spoke English as their first official language, the number of years is much higher. Also, just because English speakers formed a majority for 30 years doesn't mean French speakers did so for 345 years. Montreal doesn't "belong" to French Canadians any more than it "belongs" to anglophones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Newburgh, New York
86 posts, read 153,136 times
Reputation: 61
Actually, the French language is a big reason many people like to travel to Quebec as opposed to other provinces. Many Americans regard Quebec as being very European. Whether you agree with that statement or not is irrelevant, it's just how many Americans view it. Also, many Americans view Quebec as sort of a cheap alternative to flying to France. While the Quebecois culture and French culture are certainly very distinct from one another, the average American would not be able to see a major difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Canton, MI
409 posts, read 631,808 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
Actually, the French language is a big reason many people like to travel to Quebec as opposed to other provinces. Many Americans regard Quebec as being very European. Whether you agree with that statement or not is irrelevant, it's just how many Americans view it. Also, many Americans view Quebec as sort of a cheap alternative to flying to France. While the Quebecois culture and French culture are certainly very distinct from one another, the average American would not be able to see a major difference.
Really? Most Americans understand the difference between Quebec and France. Don't let Duck Dynasty be your barometer from what is the "average American". Other than High School French classes, the language is not the main reason for visiting Quebec. Most are a little intimidated by the language, quite frankly.

Old Montreal: European feel
Laval, West Island, RDP: NOT European
Old Quebec: European feel
Sainte Foy: NOT European
Every else in Quebec: NOT European

I grew up in Quebec. I've been to France several times. They actually have very little in common other than history and a common language, that they share with dozens of countries, most of which are not in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 05:02 PM
 
18,107 posts, read 10,297,969 times
Reputation: 13215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkarr View Post
Oh yeah it is. It is among a major reason. I've been to Ontario and Quebec numerous times but my family hasn't yet... Asked them if they wanted to visit QC or ON and said QC because we heard it's like France/Europe.
Hey; that's exactly the reason why Quebecers go to Florida; so they can hear Spanish rather than English ....... oh wait......

What a completely inane thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
 
18,107 posts, read 10,297,969 times
Reputation: 13215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While the English does have an important historic presence, you are greatly exaggerating it here. For example, the many anglo majority years you refer to actually number about 20 years out of about 375 years of Montreal history in total.
O.K. and the patois francais only formed the majority language for a pittance of the time native aboriginal languages were the majority......your point would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 1,954,600 times
Reputation: 857
Montreal as we know it is a Canadian city. Arguably the most Canadian city in Canada, in fact. It became what it is due to it being the economic centre of Canada, not Quebec. It shouldn't have its bilingual identity stripped away by the historical revisionism of the separatist movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2013, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Newburgh, New York
86 posts, read 153,136 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Really? Most Americans understand the difference between Quebec and France. Don't let Duck Dynasty be your barometer from what is the "average American". Other than High School French classes, the language is not the main reason for visiting Quebec. Most are a little intimidated by the language, quite frankly.

Old Montreal: European feel
Laval, West Island, RDP: NOT European
Old Quebec: European feel
Sainte Foy: NOT European
Every else in Quebec: NOT European

I grew up in Quebec. I've been to France several times. They actually have very little in common other than history and a common language, that they share with dozens of countries, most of which are not in Europe.
Of course they know Quebec and France are different places but do you honestly think that there aren't many Americans(those who haven't traveled much, which is most) who don't think quebec is just like visiting France? Do you know how many people I've met who think going to quebec is just like going to France? It's a lot of people, surprisingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:07 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top