Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,234 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

First off, wanted to say thanks for all of the helpful Montreal forum posters--I've been using City-Data quite a bit as I prepare to move to Montreal Jan. 1.

So here's the deal: I'm moving to Montreal for five months. I've found an apartment and will be continuing freelance writing so I'm not looking for a local job (not that I could get one anyway, between my lack of decent French and proof of citizenship).

Now I'm trying to figure out the best option for using my Verizon iPhone 5 in Canada. Ideally I'd like to:

--keep my phone number/phone
--be able to make local and US calls and texts
--have a decent amount of data--1GB or so/month

I will need to make frequent lengthy phone calls to the uS--an hour-plus--for phone interviews. Data is not as important, since I can connect to Wi-Fi, but I like having it for GoogleMaps and email on the go.

Here's what I have deduced for options so far:

--Get on the Verizon Canada plan, which allows for 1000 minutes roaming/month for $15, and the Verizon Global program for $25/100MB. Text messages charged at domestic rate.
International Trip Planner
--Get a Rogers (or some other local) SIM card. Allows for 500 GB/month at $25, unlimited local texts, local calls .25/minute.
mrsimcard.com - Rogers Canada Prepaid Sim Cards.
--Get Skype North America, which allows for unlimited calls to Canada/US at $2.99/month.
Skype Calling Rates - Cheap international calls & low-cost calling plans

Looking at that, I think it makes sense to get a SIM card for data and local texts/calls and use Skype for longer US phone calls.

Does this make sense? Does anyone have any recommendations or tips for using US phones in Canada? The best deal for a local SIM card? Any help would be appreciated as I want to make sure I have this set before moving. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 AM

981 posts, read 2,705,068 times
The Verizon data plans will stack up real fast. Text emails won't be too bad. But Google Maps sucks up a LOT of data. See if you can track your data usage now during typical use then calculate how much that could cost under any of your options.

On one trip to Canada for a few days using the maps a few times i ended up with over $100 in data charges on my AT&T phone.

Another option would be something like MagicJack. Although it can have issues with frequent long calls.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:20 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,202,972 times
I upgrade my phone with Verizon when I'm in Canada but it's far from great...I believe I can't use data or wifi there but I don't change sim cards.
Call Versizon and ask them and then get it in writing because I was given misinformation which could have cost me a ton. Once I was in Canada, I got warning texts from them as to what I could and couldn't do.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:26 AM

123 posts, read 331,961 times
I used Magicjack when I was in NY(917 number) for 5 years and using the same when I moved here in Canada. Magicjack work across whole of US and Canada. Then You can also install Magicjack app on the phone and still make receive calls on the go . I went to Singapore for a week last year, used prepaid sim with data and was still able to make receive call on magicjack app on my iphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal