U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,750 times

Advertisements

My name is Jeri I am married with 6 children we are considering taking a year off and renting a home in Quebec with our family in order to learn french. we would use our savings to fund our stay and then return to the united states after one year. We own our home in Illinois west of Chicago so it will wait for us My wife and I are 35 years old and we think this would be a good experience any thoughts or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,436,435 times
You should plan for six months only, not one year. You can stay on a tourism visa in Canada for 6 months maximum. Also, what will your kids do for school?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 AM

34,186 posts, read 41,126,833 times
While Quebec maybe a great place to speak French you dont actually have to be here to learn French.
As BB suggested you might want to check on the legal aspects of staying past 6 months in Canada.
What provisions do you foresee on schooling for the 6 kids?

Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,248,444 times
If you guys really want to learn French, you might want to try northern VT or NY and spend a lot of weekends/holiday time here instead. It takes a bit longer than 6 months-1 year to actually learn a language.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:42 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,248,444 times
Also, I think your kids would be put right into French school, you wouldn't qualify for the temporary stay eligibility. That will be very, very hard on them.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:45 AM

35,121 posts, read 39,868,215 times
I would think it would be much more cost effective to enroll everyone in a French Class somewhere.
Being outside of the City I would think it would be quite easy to find a good class that is convenient.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 AM

4,654 posts, read 3,686,316 times
canadian french is a bit different than the french we know.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 AM

21,748 posts, read 27,117,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
canadian french is a bit different than the french we know.
Who is "we" and how much French do they actually know?

Old 02-21-2014, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,796 times
I think going to Quebec is a great idea! But why not learn French first or at least the basics, and then take the family to Quebec. It would be more enjoyable, don't you think?

I'm learning French right now with Rocket French to go to Paris next year. I've only been at it for over 2 months, and it's going really well. Don't know if you tried the free resources or not, but they didn't have the technology capabilities that I needed, like MP3 to listen to while going to work or exercising, etc... I think it would be fun to have the whole family learn at home, and then take your education on the road so to speak. One of the cooler features of the program is that they record your accent for accuracy, so you know how close you're getting to sounding like a native, very useful.

If you want to learn it naturally like I am, go to FrenchConversations.net | Start Talking To Strangers Like A Native.... A lot of good info! They even give you a free trial, which is awesome. Good Luck!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 AM

15 posts, read 24,245 times
I agree with what the others are saying. If you stay longer than six months you're going to need visas for everyone which is never a fun process. Maybe plan to stay just a summer so you don't have to worry about immigration issues. Also this way the kids will be enrolled in their school back home come fall. In Montreal they will have to go to French school and like Aliss2 says it will be a massive shock for them especially for the older ones who have been going to school in English for quite some time now.

My suggestion is to look into French classes in your area. Try some of those before making such a drastic move and if it goes well then consider coming up here for a bit. I do think it's great that you want your family to learn a new language but there is a lot to consider before coming here for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or