Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times

Advertisements

So I'm heading back east this summer to my native Boston, but I'm also planning an excursion up to Montreal for a few days. I haven't been to Montreal since 1998, so I'm curious as to what's new there, perhaps a new landmark or establishment that has come along since then. What stand's out in my memory when I visited last was touring Old Montreal, Rue Ste. Catherine, bars on Rue Crescent, Mont Royal Park, and a jaunt to Little Italy for dinner.

This time I'd like to discover new neighborhoods. Previous trips to Montreal involved nightlife as a big factor. This time around I jut want to explore and take in the ambiance of ethnic, collegiate, cultural, and culinary enclaves, as well as parks and museums. What are some good neighborhoods to explore? Neighborhoods that the everyday Montreal tourist doesn't see as a window into life in Montreal. I'd like to know good streets to walk down and metro stations located near good neighborhood walks. Merci!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
A nice walk would be down Sherbrooke st west, In NDG. Lots of shops and restaurants around there. The area has a nice vibe to it. If you really like walking you can start your walk at Atwater and walk all the way down Sherbrooke through Westmount.

You said you have been to little Italy. The area just east of little Italy is pretty cool too, around the Jean Talon market. Rue St Hubert is a pretty busy comercial area. There are some good restaurants around there. Just walking from downtown all the way up boul st Lauarent or parc ave to Jean Talon is an interesting journey.

Park x, is not the nicest area but its an interesting neighborhood. You can take the metro to Acadie station, walk a few blocks up to Jean Talon and walk all the way down That street to the Parc metro station. There are alot of South Asian people in that area.

Also, those old industrial areas just south and west of downtown are pretty cool to walk through. If you can get a bike that would be a great way to explore the city. Man, I haven't been to Montreal in a while my memory is getting foggy but I used to walk and bike every where in Montreal. There are beautiful and interesting neighborhoods all over.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:57 PM

15 posts, read 29,504 times
I totally agree with UrbanLuis' suggestion for the Jean Talon market. I love that place and there are lots of restaurants there. The market itself is pretty fun to wander around especially in summer when it's bustling with locals out to do their shopping. Treat yourself to an ice cream at Havres aux Glaces. Also pick up some Quebec strawberries if they're in season. You can also look at the Atwater market area as well.

I am a big fan of Mile End as well. There are lots of shops, restaurants,etc and the neighbourhood really has a lot of character to it. If you're there go to St-Viateur Bagel which is an institution here in Montreal. It's also considered one of the best bagel shops in the city (along with Fairmount Bagel). The Plateau is another neighbourhood worth checking out. Like Mile End it has loads of character to it. There are lots of shops, bars and restaurants that are definitely worth visiting.

I'd avoid Crescent. It's overly touristy and alot of the bars and restaurants there are average for the most part. Even Sainte Catherine St is so so. It's got lots of shopping but those shops are ones you can find anywhere in North America.

There is also a bike share program here called Bixi which you can consider. It will be a great way to get around. Lots of the streets have bike paths. You can also take the metro which will get you to all the locations listed here. Get yourself a day pass or more (depending on the length of your stay) so you can just hop on the metro to get to wherever it is you're going. I would say avoid using your car because parking in some of these neighbourhoods (especially in the Plateau and Mile End) can be very annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal