U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,531 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I've researched about 3 years worth of info on this website and my brain is about to explode lol.

I live in Kingston and am looking to move to Montreal to refine my art skills as a artist.

I have the following skills/experience
1. Currently work in a multi-national audit firm doing IT audits -no chance of transferring
2. I am a Chartered Accountant
3. Fluent in English only and very very minor French

My goal is only to stay in Montreal for 2 years max so I don't want to master French but am willing to learn basic French out of respect for city cause I love them all

Here is the type of job I want:

1. Decent pay to survive
2. Near the city

Here are the type of jobs I found from this website:

1. Big box stores i.e. Walmart, Target
2. English teacher/tutor
3. Call Centre
4. Stripper
5. Indie coffee shop
6. Move to west island and pray

Are there any other options. I love Montreal soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, I would sell my own family to move there (dead serious!)

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by Funnyland; 02-15-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 AM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
If you love Montreal so much why are you limiting your stay to just 2 years?
How will you refine your art skills by moving to Montreal?
Not knowing French in Montreal puts you at a big disadvantage in the job market,
While you are still in Kingston you might as well learn some French.
https://www.google.ca/#q=learn+frenc...io&safe=active.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 AM

Montreal people have so much experience with art that they are by far a better judge of high quality than other cities IMHO.

After two years I will move to the states :S. I don't have a choice on that

Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 AM

34,241 posts, read 41,253,416 times
Not sure what genre of art you are into but Montreal doesnt have the world of art sewn up,many places in Europe have produced some of the best artists. What is it about Montreal in particular that has you thinking you need to go there?
What have you discovered about the art scene in Toronto?
In fact Googling Canadas best Arts scene Montreal isnt mentioned.
https://www.google.ca/#q=Best+Art+sc...da&safe=active

Old 02-16-2014, 01:04 PM

I prefer to cater to the Montreal crowd and style than Toronto. Toronto is nice but Montreal to me is great! Montreal's people inspire great art. Toronto is a business city I grew up there as a teenager so I know the good and the bad. Everytime I go to montreal I feel like I've found my home and feel very happy and in turn helps to create my kind of art. I know its long winded, but I just need a seed of hope of maintaining a decent job.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 24,299 times
If your heart is set on moving here I'd say master your French before coming to Montreal. Without French your job opportunities will be limited.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,919,425 times
That's quite a career change to go from CA to barista/artist, I wish you good luck I assume you no longer want to live that life as you should easily get a job with that designation even with so-so French skills, jobs which would obviously pay much better than those you listed (I don't know about stripper or prayer).

Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM

4,694 posts, read 8,455,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
That's quite a career change to go from CA to barista/artist, I wish you good luck I assume you no longer want to live that life as you should easily get a job with that designation even with so-so French skills, jobs which would obviously pay much better than those you listed (I don't know about stripper or prayer).
This is true. There are many small primarily English language accounting firms. My parents are CAs and have a partnership together and of course speak French to communicate with outside parties, but the majority of the clients are English as is the majority of communication within the office. She could probably make as much money working flatout in tax season at a place like that then all year part time as a barista. Sure, you need to pass a French exam to get licensed to practice accounting in Quebec, but at the very least she could get work as an overqualified, highly skilled bookkeeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or