Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 46,217 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I spent a few days in Montreal earlier this winter and saw a lot of people playing pond hockey all over the city. I have a 3 day weekend coming up and I was thinking of taking my son with me to Montreal and spend it playing pond hockey and enjoying the city.

Can you guys recommend parts of the city where the parks/ponds are more filled with kids playing hockey? I'd love for him to play with some other kids as well and not be stuck just playing with dad. My friend who used to live there told me every basketball court is turned into a skating rink over the winter but I didn't notice that when I was there.

Any info you guys/gals can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Maybe this site will be of help
http://en.patinermontreal.ca/f/lands...ng/team-sports

Old 03-04-2014, 02:43 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkochny View Post
Hello all.

I spent a few days in Montreal earlier this winter and saw a lot of people playing pond hockey all over the city. I have a 3 day weekend coming up and I was thinking of taking my son with me to Montreal and spend it playing pond hockey and enjoying the city.

Can you guys recommend parts of the city where the parks/ponds are more filled with kids playing hockey? I'd love for him to play with some other kids as well and not be stuck just playing with dad. My friend who used to live there told me every basketball court is turned into a skating rink over the winter but I didn't notice that when I was there.

Any info you guys/gals can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Pond hockey? You mean outdoor skating rinks?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
A basketball court is way too small for hockey to be played on it.... plus having a asphalt surface, it would be terrible to try to flood, for ice.

The city has outdoor ice rinks, that have artificial ice making plants, that have pipes under the concrete surface. Artificial ice rinks have a much longer season, than natural ice does.

In Canada, when we talk about "pond hockey " we mean a lake or body of water, that freezes naturally, and which has been cleared of snow. It isn't man made, except for the snow removal part.

Now , if you want to see "pond hockey " on a mammoth scale, take a look at this. The world's biggest pond hockey tournament. Hundreds of teams, thousands of players.

World's biggest pond hockey tourney starts Friday - Hockey - CBC

The team are five a side, no goalies, the net is six feet wide, but only 12 inches high, so no slappers, eh ?

God I love this country .

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A basketball court is way too small for hockey to be played on it.... plus having a asphalt surface, it would be terrible to try to flood, for ice.

The city has outdoor ice rinks, that have artificial ice making plants, that have pipes under the concrete surface. Artificial ice rinks have a much longer season, than natural ice does.

I dont know how they do it in Toronto but here in Montreal the rinks are put up on Basketball courts, tennis courts even baseball fields,,add water and you got a skating rink, theres no pipes or artificial ice making equipment other than a large water hose, the only amenity on some of the rinks is a heated changing room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal