U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 AM

152 posts, read 479,909 times

Advertisements

Hello. I wanted to know if you want to take a bus from montreal to nyc, i know its trailways and greyhound, i called the trailway number. I already know where that big bus station is where the buses go and arrive.

I have few questions.

1. I check online you can buy tickets online but if you do, you can only use it for that time. I would not want to do this b/c if i buy it and then im late, then the ticket is no good right?

2. Is there a very good chance bus will be full if its on the weekend if you dont arrive early? Say i want to take a bus that has 9am departure, how early do i have to arrive at the bus station at the montreal bus station to purchase the ticket and then wait on the line. If i get there at 8am... is there good chance no more space? I know buying ticket there shouldnt be big line. So even if someone buys a ticket in advance online then if they show up at 8am and long line, then they might not be able to take the bus? I heard there aren't reservations and its first come first serve. So what happens if too much ppl buy it online on that certain date/time then? Do those ppl who get there few hours early and buy ticket early then get priority?

Basically the person on the phone told me the only information they have is get there 45 minutes before the departure with a ticket with no more additional information. So if i want to take 9am bus, how early should i get there to guarantee myself a ticket and a seat.

3. Can you buy ticket in advance at the bus station? For example if i go there right now, could i buy it and use it anytime this week or would it have to be used for a certain day/time if i go and buy one right. Reason is being i dont want to get there and then ticket are sold out for that time i want to leave. They did say if there is no more seats available, you have to wait for the next bus. But if this is true, that means the bus ticket you have would be available to use all day but how long do these last for? Because if it last a week, i will just go get a ticket now but again, would that be waste of time since tickets are never sold out?

Im buying a 1 way ticket only.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM

16 posts, read 80,352 times
Wow your thread is too long haha but here you go, I live in Montreal and travel often o NYC. I buy my tickets usually online 1 or 2 weeks in advance with greyhound. I t works well, no problem

Have a nice trip!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:16 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,251,364 times
I think you may have a problem at the US border crossing with a one way ticket.

The US border agent may deny you entry to the USA, if you don't show that you have a way to go BACK to Canada.

You do understand that at the US port of entry, everyone has to get off the bus, and go inside to have their passports and tickets checked, right ? Showing up with ONLY a one way ticket is a sure fire way to bring added attention to yourself, by ICE agents. It's a red flag to them, for sure.

As for the bus station, if you have bought a ticket, either in person or online, just stand in the line up, at the departure point indicated on the over head information board. Its first come first to board, once the bus driver parks the bus, and opens the door, and the baggage compartments.

Its not complicated at all.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM

152 posts, read 479,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

The US border agent may deny you entry to the USA, if you don't show that you have a way to go BACK to Canada.

You do understand that at the US port of entry, everyone has to get off the bus, and go inside to have their passports and tickets checked, right ? Showing up with ONLY a one way ticket is a sure fire way to bring added attention to yourself, by ICE agents. It's a red flag to them, for sure.

As for the bus station, if you have bought a ticket, either in person or online, just stand in the line up, at the departure point indicated on the over head information board. Its first come first to board, once the bus driver parks the bus, and opens the door, and the baggage compartments.

Its not complicated at all.

Jim B

Toronto.

Hi. I already bought my one way ticket online. The reason why i didn't buy a roundtrip ticket is because i do not know the exact day that i will be coming back into canada. I know it will be between certain 1 or 2 days but not sure exactly which is why. Im only going to be in the usa for a very short time then heading back.

Has anyone had no issues with this? Would a bank statement with sufficient funds show that i have the funds to get back to canada? I had shown at the canadian border when i flew into canada when they ask me how do you plan to support yourself here... then i showed them my bank statement and then they said im fine.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,264 times
Quote:

OP is American so that doesn't apply -- one would expect him to have a one-way ticket since he is coming back to the US.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,401,699 times
Never bought a bus ticket online, but yes you can get and advance ticket at the bus station, cant remember if they were open for any time though. And yes you should get there as early as possible. I remember they used ot give you a boarding number and the people that had it would get on first.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:02 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,251,364 times
Barney"

If you go back and read post number four, he says that he will be coming BACK to Canada, but he doesn't know when that will be. Ergo he lives in Canada.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:12 AM

127 posts, read 219,485 times
don't make this trip complicated and very borderline and edgy on the timing .
it's easy , get yourself a ticket with a refundable option so you can change the day you comeback and not having trouble at the boarder.
if the bus is full, a second one will take the other passengers

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,264 times
Quote:
Barney"

If you go back and read post number four, he says that he will be coming BACK to Canada, but he doesn't know when that will be. Ergo he lives in Canada.
You are wrong. OP has made a gazillion posts on this forum and the Canada forum, he is a US citizen who has been playing online poker in Montreal for 6 months. So he has to leave, but he is indeed planning on coming back. For US CBP purposes, they do not expect him to "come back to Canada", he is actually "coming back to the US", therefore they would expect him to have a one-way ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or