Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,437,249 times

Advertisements

Gap = Fissure ou Crevasses? boy, that'd really increase the brand's cachet, eh?

Fugging morons with their stupid obsession over their culture being entirely wrapped up in their patois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM

26,809 posts, read 37,859,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gap = Fissure ou Crevasses? boy, that'd really increase the brand's cachet, eh?

Fugging morons with their stupid obsession over their culture being entirely wrapped up in their patois.
Keep it classy, man...

Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 AM

2,887 posts, read 5,122,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Just from the technical point of view - how would one translate trademark names that sometimes don't much mean anything ??
I know you're trying to be funny, but the OQLF obviously did not ask for translations of the stores' names, they wanted a descriptor.

I am against most of what OQLF does, for two reasons:

1) it brings out the worst in Quebec morons (of which there are many)
2) it brings out the worst in ROC morons (of which there are many)

Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,166,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Just from the technical point of view - how would one translate trademark names that sometimes don't much mean anything ??
They didnt want direct translations but more of a Francisisation of the names, EG;
La Maison Walmart.
L'Entrepot Costco
Etc.
The story on how it started.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../20284276.html
A policy akin to shooting yourself in the foot IMO

Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Keep it classy, man...
Sure; I'll remain constrained by rules of civility while those like Marois and her ilk can bully people with impugnity. Okie dokie.

Were your guidelines of civility even moderately impacted by the spectre of a political entity running roughshod over others rights and freedoms I'd consider referring to her and her kind in a more considerate fashion so as to not offend you.

My patience for "them" has long passed it's expiry date. The kid that ties all his stuff into a bundle to hang off a stick over his shoulder and repeatedly threatens his parents to run away and bullies his siblings over not getting his new bicycle for his birthday should get nothing but scorn and derision from the rest of his family.

To perform that little drama over and over again is simply showing both parties in this little charade for what they've both become; FOOLS. One party for repeatedly taking advantage of those rules of civility to foster nothing but discord and the other for continually indulging their childish and churlish nonsense.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Sure; I'll remain constrained by rules of civility while those like Marois and her ilk can bully people with impugnity. Okie dokie.

Were your guidelines of civility even moderately impacted by the spectre of a political entity running roughshod over others rights and freedoms I'd consider referring to her and her kind in a more considerate fashion so as to not offend you.

My patience for "them" has long passed it's expiry date. The kid that ties all his stuff into a bundle to hang off a stick over his shoulder and repeatedly threatens his parents to run away and bullies his siblings over not getting his new bicycle for his birthday should get nothing but scorn and derision from the rest of his family.

To perform that little drama over and over again is simply showing both parties in this little charade for what they've both become; FOOLS. One party for repeatedly taking advantage of those rules of civility to foster nothing but discord and the other for continually indulging their childish and churlish nonsense.
I don't believe there is any difference in the French spoken by PQ members and supporters and other French-speaking Canadians, so sneeringly referring to it as a "patois" is essentially a borderline slander or slur towards all French-speaking Canadians and their language. And it was taken as such.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I don't believe there is any difference in the French spoken by PQ members and supporters and other French-speaking Canadians, so sneeringly referring to it as a "patois" is essentially a borderline slander or slur towards all French-speaking Canadians and their language. And it was taken as such.
Oh "sneeringly" is it?

A slur towards ALL french speaking Canadians and their language? Brother; more of the double standards in your characterisations of what's right and proper.

Patois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

French as spoken by many societies outside of France is correctly considered by those who coined the word as Patois. Get over it. I've been to Paris a number of times and that is where, in the 70's, I first heard the word used to describe French as spoken by French Canadians, among others. Stop with the strawman 'bulk slander' nonsense.

And just how have "they (separatist morons)" been referring to the language of english over the last 40 years or so? Did that upset your sense of propriety at all? I think I know the answer.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Oh "sneeringly" is it?

A slur towards ALL french speaking Canadians and their language? Brother; more of the double standards in your characterisations of what's right and proper.

Patois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

French as spoken by many societies outside of France is correctly considered by those who coined the word as Patois. Get over it. I've been to Paris a number of times and that is where, in the 70's, I first heard the word used to describe French as spoken by French Canadians, among others. Stop with the strawman 'bulk slander' nonsense.

And just how have "they (separatist morons)" been referring to the language of english over the last 40 years or so? Did that upset your sense of propriety at all? I think I know the answer.
Just because people in Paris said ignorant things does not give you reason or the right to repeat them.

As for English and people in Quebec I've never heard the variety of the language spoken in Quebec, Canada or North America derided here as being inferior. (Even if it does sound less charming and classy to my ears than Home Counties RP from the UK. But I don't often say that in public or in polite company.)

Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Just because people in Paris said ignorant things does not give you reason or the right to repeat them.

As for English and people in Quebec I've never heard the variety of the language spoken in Quebec, Canada or North America derided here as being inferior. (Even if it does sound less charming and classy to my ears than Home Counties RP from the UK. But I don't often say that in public or in polite company.)
Ignorant things? Now people in France are the target of your disdain. Have you ever been to Haiti? That's what they call their version of French as spoken by themselves, with PRIDE!

Was my post worded thusly: "inferior patois". Nope! I used the word in a manner to parallel "language" which in point of fact is exactly what the word means as a description of a derivative.

Let's come to an agreement with; me continuing to use the term Patois to describe French as spoken by French Canadians because that is what it is; and you may continue to take umbrage at my use of that word as it suits you. We done here?

What is it with "you people" who take umbrage at every PERCEIVED slight to then castigate with unrestrained impunity. YOU folks need to get a grip and stop with all the whining.

Because you interpret usage of the word "Patois" as a personal slight towards you, does not necessarily make it so, but go ahead with your whine fest. When it's been convenient to you; you undoubtedly will have taken pride in the contractions of Canadian French but that does not change the fact it is a Patois of the original AS DEFINED BY THOSE WHO CREATED THE LANGUAGE and the term to describe spoken alterations to it.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Ignorant things? Now people in France are the target of your disdain. .
Not all of them. Only those who say stupid things like that. Which is not the majority of them. Thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal