Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 AM

3,864 posts, read 5,289,162 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be heading up to your fine city next week for 2 nights to basically pig out and enjoy one of our favorite cities to eat. I will be running the Boston Marathon on the 21st and as a reward for (hopefully) finishing I was surprised with playoff tickets to the Tuesday night game vs the Lightning.

Now as I alluded to we are very familiar with the city and food scene, but would like to try all new restaurants during our visit as a change of pace. For reference places we love are: APDC, Joe Beef, Liverpool House, Brasserie T, Au Cinquième Péché and Scwartz.

So if price was no object and you could eat anywhere for 2 days, excluding the places mentioned above, where would you eat? We will be staying at the W and would like to keep our car parked for the entire visit, so walking, Metro or reasonable cab distance is preferred. Also for the Tuesday night dinner, it would be for a sit down 10pm aprox reservation, since we will be eating after the game.

I will be checking my usual chowhound quebec site for recommendations, but it seems like there are quite a few posters on the Montreal board who appreciate great food.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Well, there's Toqué, Queue de Cheval and Au Pied de Cochon.
Actually, the Au Pied de Cochon sugar shack might be a good experience. I've heard good things.
Gibby's in Old Montreal is also popular.
I don't go to those places because they're not vegetarian-friendly. It's meat, meat, meat, so if you're into meat......
I prefer small, ethnic holes-in-the-wall which pepper this fine city. Delicious.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, there's Toqué, Queue de Cheval and Au Pied de Cochon.
Actually, the Au Pied de Cochon sugar shack might be a good experience. I've heard good things.
Gibby's in Old Montreal is also popular.
I don't go to those places because they're not vegetarian-friendly. It's meat, meat, meat, so if you're into meat......
I prefer small, ethnic holes-in-the-wall which pepper this fine city. Delicious.
Toqué looks right up my alley (Yes I am a serious meat eater!) And I just booked a 9:30 reservation for the Wednesday! Thanks for the recommendation.

I like you do the majority of my eating at ethnic hole in the walls, but between Boston, NYC and London I pretty much have the globe covered, so wanted something unique to Montreal and chef driven for this visit.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Toqué looks right up my alley (Yes I am a serious meat eater!) And I just booked a 9:30 reservation for the Wednesday! Thanks for the recommendation.

I like you do the majority of my eating at ethnic hole in the walls, but between Boston, NYC and London I pretty much have the globe covered, so wanted something unique to Montreal and chef driven for this visit.
Enjoy!!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:37 PM

You might want to hit up a crepe place while you're here. This one in Old Montreal is highly recommended.

Creperie Chez Suzette -- crepes and fondues, crepes meal, oriental fondues, chocolate fondues, cheese fondues

Old 04-15-2014, 03:53 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
If you could make it to a Cabane a Sucre you'll get a memorable Quebec feast, they are usually a brunch type deal. heres a few notable ones.
The 5 Best Sugar Shacks (cabanes à sucre) Around Montreal – Montreall.com

If you are diabetic bring extra insulin

First course.
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/fr/imag...-258782592.jpg

Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You might want to hit up a crepe place while you're here. This one in Old Montreal is highly recommended.

Creperie Chez Suzette -- crepes and fondues, crepes meal, oriental fondues, chocolate fondues, cheese fondues
Good idea! Ironically enough I cant recall ever having a crepe in Montreal, quite a few in Quebec City, but never Montreal. Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you could make it to a Cabane a Sucre you'll get a memorable Quebec feast, they are usually a brunch type deal. heres a few notable ones.
The 5 Best Sugar Shacks (cabanes à sucre) Around Montreal – Montreall.com

If you are diabetic bring extra insulin

First course.
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/fr/imag...-258782592.jpg
I want to eat as much good tasting stuff that is bad for you as possible that week APDC Sugar Shack looks amazing.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Only know the city from a few visits, but some of the visits were quite long and I've been to several of the places so far listed. I will say that two surprises for me were Pintxo (tapas) and Mai Xiang Yuan (chinese dumplings). The latter was especially weird because it was sitting in a tiny Chinatown and I've had dumplings in some of the biggest Chinatowns in the world (NYC, San Gabriel Valley, uh, Hong Kong, Shanghai). I think it has to do with the incredibly great quality of the ingredients and the wrappers being done to just the right thickness. I also liked walking around Jean-Talon Market and sampling some quick bites and buying a few snacks for the hotel and trip back.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM

Thanks OyCrumbler for the recommendations. Jean-Talon is especially a favorite of mine and will be making a regular stop there to nosh around the market.

I actually switched our Toqué reservation to the Tuesday as they had later seating available at 10:00pm. Then Wednesday night will be Le P'tit Plateau.

Is there a new alternative to Schwartz for smoked meat? I love Schwartz, but would like to try somewhere else for this visit. Also for Wednesday lunch Lawrence Restaurant caught my eye.

One final question for the board. What is the best Jazz club in Montreal currently? Not looking for traveling artists, but just a local type old school vibe with local artists performing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal