U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 PM

336 posts, read 322,173 times

Advertisements

I will be taking the overnight Greyhound bus from NYC to Montreal in 2 weeks (OMG so excited that I could barely sleep from now! No joke). I will have 2 days in Montreal and then on my last day I will take the sightseeing bus tour to Québec City from early morning until evening, and then late night head back home to NYC. I have been to Montréal once only 3 years ago during late winter, but never to Quebec City before so even more excited I took Greyhound bus to Toronto and Niagara Falls tour last summer as well.... I love Canada so much!

Since I'm on a tight budget and will be staying at a cheap 1 star hotel in downtown for 2 nights, I plan on buying 24 hour public transportation to get around to various places. My first visit to Montreal was only for a day trip (6 AM until 10 PM - I know it sounds crazy) but I still saw a lot and took a tour sightseeing bus.

What do you recommend be seeing and doing? Great and affordable places to eat? I heard about that smoked meat place (forgot the name). I now want to also walk in Old Town hopefully the weather will be nice and more people outside than my last visit in winter end of March!

Please any recommendation is accepted. I don't like drinking or partying. I love sightseeing! One thing for sure I will do now is going up to the cross on Mont Royal... Also what famous and nice malls like Toronto's Eaton Centre does Montreal have?

Last edited by Jag_Je; 04-30-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
If you are on a tight budget hostels can be an economical alternative.
Montreal Hostels Listing - All Hostels in Montreal at Hostels.com

Plenty of stuff to do around the Old Port/Old Montreal area.
Old Montreal Visitors Guide - Guide to Old Montreal

For shopping its hard to beat getting lost in Montreals 32 kilometers of underground city.
Underground City, Montreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll love wandering around Parc Mont royal the scenery is amazing .
https://www.google.ca/search?q=parc+...iw=768&bih=464

That smoked meat place you are wondering about is probably Schwartz's, if theres a big lineup the Main restaurant across the street serves up an equally good smoked meat sandwich.

Enjoy your trip

Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 AM

21,776 posts, read 27,190,919 times
Hopefully you'll get some warm weather for this trip! Spring has been uncharacteristically bad so far.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

336 posts, read 322,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hopefully you'll get some warm weather for this trip! Spring has been uncharacteristically bad so far.
I know I hope no jacket would be needed. Are there any spring blossoms in the area yet?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM

2,287 posts, read 3,918,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Je View Post
I know I hope no jacket would be needed. Are there any spring blossoms in the area yet?
Not really, but when you get here in two weeks, Spring should be underway.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 PM

6,091 posts, read 6,295,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

For shopping its hard to beat getting lost in Montreals 32 kilometers of underground city.
Underground City, Montreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Huh, I cannot believe I missed this the whole time I was in Montreal.

I wonder how many gas station stops for refills does it take and how many hours of driving is it from NYC to Montreal? If anyone has ever taken that trip.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:20 AM

9,515 posts, read 6,501,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Huh, I cannot believe I missed this the whole time I was in Montreal.

I wonder how many gas station stops for refills does it take and how many hours of driving is it from NYC to Montreal? If anyone has ever taken that trip.
From NYC to Montreal?
One full tank should take you there. It only takes about 5 hours. Montreal is maybe 3 hours North of Albany, if that. I-87 is just a pain because of the slow speed limits going through the mountains. And yes, TROOPERS ARE AGGRESSIVE on that stretch.
When I lived up North, I used to go back and forth between MTL and NYC at least 3 times a year.
Now I live in Florida, but still, any time I go to Montreal, I fly into New York (Westchester County Airport to avoid traffic), rent a car and drive up.
It's a very easy drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal