U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 10:37 AM

43 posts, read 54,517 times

Advertisements

So I recently came back from a 4 day trip to Montreal and Quebec City. OMG I'm really depressed being back... both cities were AMAZING and I am truly jealous of those of you who live in Montreal especially... the best city to live in by far. Montreal has truly everything a person would look for - mountain hill in downtown, skyscrapers, great shopping, amazing food, nice looking people, diverse, affordable renting/housing, metric system, French speaking (LOVE IT), metro and buses were nice, clean, easy and cheap, amazing old town buildings, and basically paradise!

Quebec City - just WOW! It feels and looks more European than most European cities. So impressed and shocked of the beauty!

The only thing I did not like was the nearly 15% sales tax (especially since it's not included on price tags just like the US which I hate,) some streets had no crosswalk signal, somewhat lack of beautiful flowers/landscaping especially compared to Toronto and Washington D.C. where they plant more flowers throughout (maybe because it is still May?)... otherwise Montreal is truly a paradise! I wish I spoke fluent French and had Canada citizen then I would move there TODAY!

I had though some issue with few people here and there throughout the city including in "centre-ville" who couldn't speak English, or refused to (?) even some young people. Most people I asked if they spoke English responded "a little bit".
Thank God Quebec's official language is French though... more unique and lovely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,986,336 times
I'm glad you enjoyed our fine city. We like it. You should come back during the Jazz Fest...it's really something.
Word of warning about the crosswalks....thinking that drivers pay attention to them puts your life in jeopardy. Never assume they're going to stop. They won't.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:40 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,624,533 times
I'm going to Montreal this August, never been there before, but I really enjoyed reading how much you liked it. I don't speak any French, so I'm a little nervous about that. My wifes sister and husband live in Montreal, so that's why we are visiting.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM

34,269 posts, read 41,320,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm going to Montreal this August, never been there before, but I really enjoyed reading how much you liked it. I don't speak any French, so I'm a little nervous about that. My wifes sister and husband live in Montreal, so that's why we are visiting.
Dont worry about your lack of French as most people are bilingual and there is a very large tourist trade so there are many visitors to the city that dont speak French, Use bonjour and merci frequently to give the impression you are at least trying..
I post this link a lot to perspective visitors to the city as it gives the perspective of two travellers from Texas.
MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City

Old 05-25-2014, 11:10 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,320,091 times
I have been as far downstream as Baie St Paul, and most everyone spoke english. But the accents were definitely thicker than Montreal even in Quebec City. I am told if you go to Saguenay, then even less people can speak english.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 PM

11 posts, read 16,066 times
Don't worry about the french here , almost everybody is bilingual, as jambo101 said use bonjour and merci and everything is going to be fine. Even those who speak french in montreal are using some english words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal