Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I am a newbie here, but I wanted to get the layout of Montreal from someone who has lived in Vancouver. Its basically so I can familiarize myself with the area, so If I were to say what is the equivalent of
Kits:
Yaletown:
Burrard St:
Robson St:
Granville St:
Coal Harbour:
Gastown:
Sea Wall:
Stanley Park:
Burnaby:
Richmond:
Surrey:

I hope someone can answer this, I am planning to live in this amazing city and want to get to know the districts and hence planning where to live. I am a little worried since I will be moving there by myself and was wondering are people there more friendlier than here in Vancouver? Do you often find people more accepting. I have plenty more questions but I think I will start of with these. Also I know that you guys have had many posts about safety saying its all good, night and day. Which makes me more happier to move there. So any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:24 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
I wouldn't say there is much equivalent.

Robson - st. Catherine's st
Davie st - rue saint denis

That's pretty much it.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:57 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainawesomeisprettycoo View Post
Hey there, I am a newbie here, but I wanted to get the layout of Montreal from someone who has lived in Vancouver. Its basically so I can familiarize myself with the area, so If I were to say what is the equivalent of
Kits:
Yaletown:
Burrard St:
Robson St:
Granville St:
Coal Harbour:
Gastown:
Sea Wall:
Stanley Park:
Burnaby:
Richmond:
Surrey:

I hope someone can answer this, I am planning to live in this amazing city and want to get to know the districts and hence planning where to live. I am a little worried since I will be moving there by myself and was wondering are people there more friendlier than here in Vancouver? Do you often find people more accepting. I have plenty more questions but I think I will start of with these. Also I know that you guys have had many posts about safety saying its all good, night and day. Which makes me more happier to move there. So any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Why don't you tell us which type of neighbourhood you're looking for, and we'll point you in the right direction? Might be easier that way.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:34 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
I moved here from Cloverdale with my kids and enjoyed the south shore (Brossard, LA Prairie), but for a single from Vancouver that might be too boring suburban for you (and French is a must here for living and working). What sort of comparison do you want? A hip near-downtown place? "Alternatives friendly" like Kits? Suburbs like Maple Ridge?

There aren't equals but Montreal has a lot of unique that van doesn't, like real old districts (I guess you could compare gastown and tourist jaques Cartier but with no crime and not so close to businesses)

Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,833 times
Thanks for the message back guys. Yes I am looking for hip places to live in downtown. I will be going to Concordia for a short time then heading into McGill. Hence I Wanted to live somewhere central where I can commute to the Condcordia Loyola campus easy while also being able to attend things in the city. I know the winters are brutal compared to vancouver and hence was wondering about being close to downtown to the areas that have access to shops, bars and what not. Any suggestions? Thats why I am trying to compare the cities in terms of things I know. Any information would be really appreciated.

Thanks again

Old 06-13-2014, 12:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainawesomeisprettycoo View Post
Thanks for the message back guys. Yes I am looking for hip places to live in downtown. I will be going to Concordia for a short time then heading into McGill. Hence I Wanted to live somewhere central where I can commute to the Condcordia Loyola campus easy while also being able to attend things in the city. I know the winters are brutal compared to vancouver and hence was wondering about being close to downtown to the areas that have access to shops, bars and what not. Any suggestions? Thats why I am trying to compare the cities in terms of things I know. Any information would be really appreciated.

Thanks again
All you need to do is live near a Metro Station and you can commute without having to brave the elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal