U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 02:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,912 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Currently, I live in Montreal, and for me, the French language has always been a problem here. It is in totally my fault as I should have put more time and effort into the language while I had the chance. I am at a crossroad now and don't know whether it is best for me to stay in Montreal or leave, mostly because of the language. I currently finished my bachelors degree in Business Administration at Concordia. In terms of school, I didn't do that well, which I wish I had, but I did average and completed my degree. Yes I know even with a bachelors, there aren't many job opportunities. I have always gone to anglophones schools here in Montreal so all my friends and family member are anglophone and I speak English. By means its not like I don't know the language, I know it well. I am just a shy person in general and i always tend to speak in English since I am more comfortable. Other words, my French has a bad accent and even if I know the words, it doesn't come to me right away.

At the moment, I am currently looking for a job since I just finished my bachelors but it is really difficult with my limited French. I have applied to many places and have had interviews but in the end, my French wasn't good enough for the job. I have been working at this call centre for 6 years and I even got rejected of advancement because of my limited French. I don't like the job I do currently at all, it is pretty much telemarketing. Even small jobs I applied to while I was studying and working so I can switch out, never worked out because my French wasn't good enough. All in all, I blame myself for not learning the language more but I have tried and it didn't work. It's just the way I am, I turn to the language I am most comfortable in.

I was thinking whether I should move to Toronto. I have cousin that live in brampton that is more than willing to let me live with them. My father also bought a house in toronto 2 years ago which he is renting it out and has future plans to move, but he has a career here and it might take another 3-4 years down the road. I just don't want to wait that long. I have asked friends, family members, etc.. about their opinion on what I should do but I also wanted to know what people on the internet have to suggest. All this is in my head now and don't know where to go from here. BTW I an male, 24 years old if that matters. I know getting a job,especially for me is going to be difficult anywhere because I don`t have much experience staying at the same job for 6 . years, that`s pretty much all I have. I messed up in some ways in life I know that and I don`t want responses on stuff like that. I just want what people would suggest I do.

Also, if I move, should I apply to places in the Toronto area or should I first move and then apply. Should I go there jobless with the hopes of getting something temporary until I find something I like? I won't have living expenses like rent since I will be living with my cousin. There will be other expenses but I think it is manageable.
Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:49 AM

21,795 posts, read 27,202,483 times
From what you describe here I'd say it's always gonna be tough for you job-wise in Montreal unless you make a big change with yourself with respect to French.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 AM

411 posts, read 632,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan90 View Post
Hi there,

Currently, I live in Montreal, and for me, the French language has always been a problem here. It is in totally my fault as I should have put more time and effort into the language while I had the chance. I am at a crossroad now and don't know whether it is best for me to stay in Montreal or leave, mostly because of the language. I currently finished my bachelors degree in Business Administration at Concordia. In terms of school, I didn't do that well, which I wish I had, but I did average and completed my degree. Yes I know even with a bachelors, there aren't many job opportunities. I have always gone to anglophones schools here in Montreal so all my friends and family member are anglophone and I speak English. By means its not like I don't know the language, I know it well. I am just a shy person in general and i always tend to speak in English since I am more comfortable. Other words, my French has a bad accent and even if I know the words, it doesn't come to me right away.

At the moment, I am currently looking for a job since I just finished my bachelors but it is really difficult with my limited French. I have applied to many places and have had interviews but in the end, my French wasn't good enough for the job. I have been working at this call centre for 6 years and I even got rejected of advancement because of my limited French. I don't like the job I do currently at all, it is pretty much telemarketing. Even small jobs I applied to while I was studying and working so I can switch out, never worked out because my French wasn't good enough. All in all, I blame myself for not learning the language more but I have tried and it didn't work. It's just the way I am, I turn to the language I am most comfortable in.

I was thinking whether I should move to Toronto. I have cousin that live in brampton that is more than willing to let me live with them. My father also bought a house in toronto 2 years ago which he is renting it out and has future plans to move, but he has a career here and it might take another 3-4 years down the road. I just don't want to wait that long. I have asked friends, family members, etc.. about their opinion on what I should do but I also wanted to know what people on the internet have to suggest. All this is in my head now and don't know where to go from here. BTW I an male, 24 years old if that matters. I know getting a job,especially for me is going to be difficult anywhere because I don`t have much experience staying at the same job for 6 . years, that`s pretty much all I have. I messed up in some ways in life I know that and I don`t want responses on stuff like that. I just want what people would suggest I do.

Also, if I move, should I apply to places in the Toronto area or should I first move and then apply. Should I go there jobless with the hopes of getting something temporary until I find something I like? I won't have living expenses like rent since I will be living with my cousin. There will be other expenses but I think it is manageable.
Thanks for reading.
I recommend you look for work elsewhere. Your lack of French and not being Francophone in the first place will stunt your career.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:24 PM

34,242 posts, read 41,261,292 times
Give it a try outside Quebec, i hear Calgary is booming.

My nephew has a similar story to yours, His time in Montreal after graduation just never amounted to much. He jumped in his car last summer and headed west.
He now is a fulltime fireman for Calgary and works part time on the weekends as a baggage handler for WestJet.

No French required/
https://www.google.ca/#q=entry+level...ry&safe=active

Old 06-29-2014, 03:16 PM

Thank you for your suggestions but I am not really looking to move to the west. If I move, it will be to Toronto. I still think it'll be hard for me to find a job even in Toronto with the little work experience I have, especially since I am looking at jobs more in the accounting/finance sectors, but at least throughout my job search, I won't be disregarded as a result of language. It's not like I don't know the language. My friends say I am actually good and better then them. But it just seems that here in Quebec, if I'm not a francophone person, I will not get any decent jobs

Old 06-29-2014, 04:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 8,116,517 times
Studying Business Administration for 4 years, what job have you been envisioning?
Did you participate in internships?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 PM

411 posts, read 632,005 times
Quote:
But it just seems that here in Quebec, if I'm not a francophone person, I will not get any decent jobs
At least you are 24 when you figured this out. Some people don't figure this out until it is too late. I was 30. I was told flat out on the phone by one company that they don't hire graduates from McGill. That was 1995, a tough year for Anglophones because the pipe dream was rejected again. I moved away and never looked back.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 14,275 times
Can you get benefits from government? If not, I would suggest you to have a try in other provinces. We are moving and would not get back until we are old for the education here is worst in Canada.

We landed in GTA last year, we got some ideas of what kind of education it is in the other province. I almost got an offer from a company located in Calgary. We knew something related to education there. Alberta is said to have the best education system of Canada.

I experienced the same thing as you are expecting. It is difficult to get a job in GTA if you don't have enough experiences. I took 3 months to settle down in Montreal last year, but it is not a good choice for me. The same conclusion is being heard from many friends of mine.

So my 2 cents is, if you want to improve in a long run, go ahead and move out towards west, no matter how west it is. Get out of here!!!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 PM

well I don't get any benefits from the government other than the Solidarity Tax Credit. I still live with my parents here in Montreal. That is also something that I am a little afraid of, experiencing the open world without my parents, i.e. living alone. I know I have to but it is in my mind and scares me a little. Never really lived alone in my life.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM

21,795 posts, read 27,202,483 times
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions but I am not really looking to move to the west. If I move, it will be to Toronto. I still think it'll be hard for me to find a job even in Toronto with the little work experience I have, especially since I am looking at jobs more in the accounting/finance sectors, but at least throughout my job search, I won't be disregarded as a result of language. It's not like I don't know the language. My friends say I am actually good and better then them. But it just seems that here in Quebec, if I'm not a francophone person, I will not get any decent jobs
That's not really true, but if French is a requirement for the job you will be expected to be as a good in French as a francophone with the same (other) skills as you.

They don't hire people with subpar English over native anglophones for jobs that require good language skills in Toronto or Calgary either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal