Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 AM

190 posts, read 219,821 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing what a great city Montreal is. Tell me about it. Is there any US city that is most comparable to Montreal?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 AM

24 posts, read 85,538 times
We didn't get to stay very long, but my girlfriend and I drove through this summer. The place has a very European feel to it, and its location right on the St. Lawrence makes for some beautiful scenery.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,444,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post
I keep hearing what a great city Montreal is. Tell me about it. Is there any US city that is most comparable to Montreal?
There is nothing comparable in the USA because Montreal has a very unique history and culture. Some could argue that there are superficially bits and pieces of Montreal that are reminiscent of Boston or New York... although there are more differences, in my opinion, than similarities.

For starters, Montreal's fully bilingual, but essentially French-speaking with French signs everywhere. Street signs, store signs, menus, billboards, etc - all in French. English, if it appears on the signs at all, will be much less noticeable.

Montreal was first explored by the French in the early 1500's and then was colonized by the French in the subsequent centuries... so you have that initial French aesthetic, architecture, language, religion... (with beautiful churches and cathedrals everywhere).

While Louisiana, sure, was also colonized by the French way back when, the dominant culture of Louisiana is not French speaking or really dominantly associated with French culture in the same way that Quebecois culture is. Montreal is the largest French-speaking city outside of France.

That alone sets Montreal apart from anything in the USA because the French language isn't dominant anywhere in the USA. It gives Montreal a "European" vibe. It's more historic/European than most North American cities.

The city is very historic - buildings from the 1600's and 1700's... but also modern - lots of skyscrapers and modern 1960's/1970's towers. So it's a blend of both worlds. It also has really unique duplexes and triplexes with curly wrought-iron staircases leading to the front doors on the second levels. I think it's an architectural design unique to Montreal - there's a specific name for it.

It has a huge cosmopolitan fashion/arts/cafe scene... a seemingly eccentric population who are more Latin in spirit than with the rest of Canada. This is a city that embraces the arts more than anywhere else I've been too. It's also a lot cheaper to live in Montreal than Toronto or Vancouver, so that in itself is highly attractive to artists and creative individuals.

There's also the demographic difference - a lot of immigrants from French-speaking countries like Senegal and Haiti move to Montreal. There's also a very prominent Jewish community in Montreal (which gives Montreal its famous smoked meat and Montreal style bagels) which is why Montreal has elements most people associate New York with. It also has a prominent Irish population, which... again, Boston similarities. Of course, this is just a mass generalization, but the mix of people in Montreal is different from most North American cities.

There are many more reasons... but essentially, no... there is no comparison in the USA to Montreal. Montreal also gets the reputation as a "party town" because of its vibrant nightlife. The legal drinking age there is 18, and even then, it's not strictly enforced compared to most Canadian cities. It's also a famous bachelor party city because of the sleezy strip clubs there.

There's a woman who lives in Texas, I think, who loves Montreal, who started up a website called Love Letter to Montreal, which features the best photos of Montreal... I think it gives you a taste of why Montreal is "so great":

http://www.lovelettertomontreal.com/

Last edited by Robynator; 12-27-2007 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 AM

311 posts, read 1,058,302 times
It's a unique city with a rich history and culture. Not my favorite Canadian city, but it's a great place to visit.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
I think if I had to leave New Orleans (heaven forbid) I would try to move to Montreal myself actually.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 27,126 times
Hi,

Does anyone know the best way to get to montreal from Saint Edouard. Is traffic bad coming to the city from the south on a daily basis?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rainmaker View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know the best way to get to montreal from Saint Edouard. Is traffic bad coming to the city from the south on a daily basis?
Just get on the main expressway (Autoroute 20) and drive west for about 30 miles,Montreal is hard to miss.

A few ideas once here.
The Independent Traveler Travel Forums: Canada (http://www.independenttraveler.com/community/topten.cfm?ID=13 - broken link)

Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Just get on the main expressway (Autoroute 20) and drive west for about 30 miles,Montreal is hard to miss.

A few ideas once here.
The Independent Traveler Travel Forums: Canada (http://www.independenttraveler.com/community/topten.cfm?ID=13 - broken link)
I think the poster was referring to Saint-Édouard, which is near Napierville and due south of Montreal going towards the US border.

In that case he/she should take the A15 northbound (nord) and follow the signs for Montreal towards the bridges (Pont Champlain or Pont Jacques-Cartier).

Morning rush hour until about 9 or even 9:30 should be provided for driving into the city. After that though inbound traffic should be fine.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
The St Edouard on the way to Drummondville was the first one that came to mind,but now that you mention it i think you may be right..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The St Edouard on the way to Drummondville was the first one that came to mind,but now that you mention it i think you may be right..
Hey, there are St-Édouards all over the place! I only knew of two: the one south of Montreal and another west of Quebec City, in Lotbinière county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal