Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What makes you think I have never lived in Europe and don't know it well?...
Have you?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
You may not get any reactions because this is buried in the Montreal forum, but if you said something like this in the main Canada forum, you'd certainly get many, many vociferous protests to the contrary from Canadians who live in those parts of the country.
Meaning they'd resent saying that it's fairly similar, at least in appearance.
When one crosses on the Pacific side, there is only a very slight difference between Blaine WA and Surrey BC, essentially adjacent to each other. You see some stucco or "EIFS" homes in the Lower Mainland of BC...which weather like crap.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:21 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
You'd think that, but the architecture is a product of geography and climate. I moved to the West Coast of Canada with the expectation it'd be almost like America, but the truth is it's undeniably an integral part of Canada. There's certainly cultural similarities with Washington in many respects, but the collective consciousness is deeply rooted in the history and culture of the Canadian Federation and the earlier British Empire. It might superficially look like Washington, have similar coffee culture and architecture, but this is definitely Canada and people here will know all about what makes Montreal great in ways that Seattleites never would.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
What makes you think I have never lived in Europe and don't know it well?

You said earlier that you are an international student. I suggest that you when you get a good job in Quebec and start paying 46.7% in income taxes (before you start paying sales taxes), you will no longer consider Quebec a low-tax haven, and you will see that if Quebec was in the EU, for an average person we would be "middle of the pack" rather than a super-low taxation place.

Quebec is a more affordable place to live and I think for average people probably offers a higher quality of life than most of Europe at the moment (although preferences are always very personal), but the affordability is mostly due to lower prices for consumer goods and residential real estate*. Not because of lower taxes.

Also, income taxes are extremely difficult to compare from country to country, BTW, with a maze of deductions, income brackets, special taxes, etc.

*This is a "North American" characteristic that Quebec does have vs. Europe.
I give up... you know better than me who grew up in europe... sure, quebec sale taxes (14.75) are as high as the median european one of 20% & 47% income taxes for the richest are as high as the 60% in most europe... not to add that extras taxation rich europeans have... you know better than european

Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM

43 posts, read 173,710 times
Montreal is its own place. The reason that it is often described as having a European feel is mainly because Montreal stands out from other North American cities due to a number of factors:

- its language (the rest of Canada-US uses English)
- some of its customs (kissing on both cheeks)
- the architecture in a few specific areas (call it European or Old World if you want -- essentially narrow cobblestone streets with low-rise buildings, a rarity in North America save for a few neighbourhoods in Montreal, Quebec, Boston, Baltimore, etc.)
- its love of food and wine
- the greater prevalence of smaller cars
- the large number of Europeans actually living in the city (the French are everywhere in the city!)
- its political culture, which is more social-democratic than elsewhere in North America
- the relatively close ties between Quebec and France (many Quebecois grow up reading Asterix, listening to their dad's Charles Aznavour albums, watching Gerard Depardieu movies, in addition to local and North American pop culture; some Quebec artists are popular in France and vice versa)
- etc.

I've lived on both sides of the pond. I agree that Montreal is not European. But I also agree that it exhibits a number of elements that are not quite typical of most North American cities. It's its own place, with elements from both sides.

What's so great about Montreal?

People love big cities. They are lively, there's always something to do, something to look at, neighbourhoods with distinct personalities, people in the streets, restaurants to discuss, activities to try, etc. They are vibrant, dynamic, and stimulating. They have an identity, a culture, a collection of elements that make them unique, that brand them. This is why people love big cities like London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, Barcelona, Berlin, etc.

Canada has very few big cities, so we always hear about the same three: Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. Toronto is the big, spread out diverse business city. Vancouver is the relaxed west coast outdoorsman paradise. Montreal is the denser city with cafe culture, older architecture, and funny speaking population. It stands out. It is a true urban environment with very diverse activities and a dynamic population, and a clearer identity than others as a result of its age. People have a good time when they go there. That's all.

Last edited by Badyouken; 02-28-2012 at 10:55 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
Montreal is its own place. The reason that it is often described as having a European feel is mainly because Montreal stands out from other North American cities due to a number of factors:

- its language (the rest of Canada-US uses English)
- some of its customs (kissing on both cheeks)
- the architecture in a few specific areas (call it European or Old World if you want -- essentially narrow cobblestone streets with low-rise buildings, a rarity in North America save for a few neighbourhoods in Montreal, Quebec, Boston, Baltimore, etc.)
- its love of food and wine
- the greater prevalence of smaller cars
- the large number of Europeans actually living in the city (the French are everywhere in the city!)
- its political culture, which is more social-democratic than elsewhere in North America
- the relatively close ties between Quebec and France (many Quebecois grow up reading Asterix, listening to their dad's Charles Aznavour albums, watching Gerard Depardieu movies, in addition to local and North American pop culture; some Quebec artists are popular in France and vice versa)
- etc.

I've lived on both sides of the pond. I agree that Montreal is not European. But I also agree that it exhibits a number of elements that are not quite typical of most North American cities. It's its own place, with elements from both sides.

What's so great about Montreal?

People love big cities. They are lively, there's always something to do, something to look at, neighbourhoods with distinct personalities, people in the streets, restaurants to discuss, activities to try, etc. They are vibrant, dynamic, and stimulating. They have an identity, a culture, a collection of elements that make them unique, that brand them. This is why people love big cities like London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, Barcelona, Berlin, etc.

Canada has very few big cities, so we always hear about the same three: Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. Toronto is the big, spread out diverse business city. Vancouver is the relaxed west coast outdoorsman paradise. Montreal is the denser city with cafe culture, older architecture, and funny speaking population. It stands out. It is a true urban environment with very diverse activities and a dynamic population, and a clearer identity than others as a result of its age. People have a good time when they go there. That's all.
the best answer so far.
one of the only downside of Montreal will be its winter

Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 PM

218 posts, read 509,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post

I wouldn't put Montreal in the same bracket as London, Paris, etc. from your list. Montreal as any other Canadian city in essence is very provincial and remote. Couple of streets in downtown that have some cosmopolitan flair everybody is strolling along, the rest is basically gritty suburbia where people live in their little houses (in the best case).

The problem with Montreal being a "big city" is its people. While being in places like Berlin, Paris etc. you quickly catch this cosmopolitan vibe from people on a street level (well-dressed, well-spoken, professional, been around, have class, engaging, etc.) in Montreal you mostly don't.

Montrealers are mostly caught in their own system and interested in their internal affairs, and with being secluded on a North American continent this results in a provincial North American with a French colonist flavor mentality profile of its populace.

I travel frequently between Montreal and the named cities and the contrast is remarkable.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:08 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
montreal - Google Maps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=mont...193.97,,0,6.72

very European

Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I've never been to Montreal. However, from what I've read, from what I've seen, it seems like a cool place to visit, and live in as well. The one thing that bugs me about Montreal is that the Expos are gone. I'm a Seattle Mariners fan, but if I was in Montreal during the summer, it would be nice to watch a baseball game.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
I wouldn't put Montreal in the same bracket as London, Paris, etc. from your list. Montreal as any other Canadian city in essence is very provincial and remote. Couple of streets in downtown that have some cosmopolitan flair everybody is strolling along, the rest is basically gritty suburbia where people live in their little houses (in the best case).

The problem with Montreal being a "big city" is its people. While being in places like Berlin, Paris etc. you quickly catch this cosmopolitan vibe from people on a street level (well-dressed, well-spoken, professional, been around, have class, engaging, etc.) in Montreal you mostly don't.

Montrealers are mostly caught in their own system and interested in their internal affairs, and with being secluded on a North American continent this results in a provincial North American with a French colonist flavor mentality profile of its populace.

I travel frequently between Montreal and the named cities and the contrast is remarkable.
Well, there's a difference between Big City and Rich Big City. Montreal is more of a working class, blue collar town than those big European capitals you name. But it's not so different from places like Chicago or Manchester. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with regular everyday people.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 02-29-2012 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal