Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:57 PM

123 posts, read 332,383 times

Advertisements

My Daughter will be ready to start secondary school next year. We are getting confused deciding on the school. On one side many of her friends are choosing Beurling Academy but Frazer's rating for Burling is quite low. what are the other options we have? We are thinking on Westmount High School because of the academic programs . The other one is Royal West Academy, but it is no more English high school and turned to French immersion only and my daughter is not really interested in immersion program.

From distance point of view both the schools are at same distance from Nun's island from transportation point of view(Public).

Does anyone has any input that can help us decide?

Is there a private school bus transportation service for secondary school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Nothing better than to "feel out" the school yourself with your daughter. Beurling Academy open doors = October 23:
Welcome to Beurling Academy

Westmount High - They already had open doors october 2, maybe will have one later? Or would agree to meet individually? It's worth a call.

We visited a few private schools and I was surprised at how some stellar on paper (and most expensive) private schools were causing feelings of "this is not us" in my daughter and myself when we were physically there. A very valuable tool to cut off something that doesn't fit you, from the onset.

ETA: Royal West already had the entrance exam at the end of September.
http://www.royalwestacademy.com/newsite/?page_id=167
It's hard to understand this, why entrance exams, and why so early? (Earlier than in private schools).

Last edited by nuala; 10-09-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 02:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Cant give much info but one of my daughters went to Buerling after 2 years at Sacred Heart, she had problems at SH with the mistress of discipline and opted to switch to Beurling as its just down the street, she never had any problems with Beurling, enjoyed going there and was an honor student in every grade.
My other daughter went to Royal West Academy and also enjoyed the experience although it is a tougher school to get in as they set their standards for entry rather high.In all i cant think of any negatives that either of my daughters experienced in either school.
The daughter who went to Buerling went on to do a 4 year degree in environmental science at Concordia.
the one who went to RW is in her second year at McGill going for a career in Geology

Old 10-10-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Cant give much info but one of my daughters went to Buerling after 2 years at Sacred Heart, she had problems at SH with the mistress of discipline and opted to switch to Beurling as its just down the street, she never had any problems with Beurling, enjoyed going there and was an honor student in every grade.
My other daughter went to Royal West Academy and also enjoyed the experience although it is a tougher school to get in as they set their standards for entry rather high.In all i cant think of any negatives that either of my daughters experienced in either school.
The daughter who went to Buerling went on to do a 4 year degree in environmental science at Concordia.
the one who went to RW is in her second year at McGill going for a career in Geology
To add/
if you have any specific questions i could ask my daughters or my wife who is a spiritual animator for the LesterB Peirson school board. , She says most English schools have options of Regular English School where you get one French class per day or an immersion program where several classes are taught in French and the program could be as high as 80% french Then theres an enriched program like the IB program at Buerling.
If your daughters future is in Quebec it would be in her best interest to become fully bilingual.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:09 AM

Jambo, may I also ask you a question?

In the opinion of your wife (and your daughters', and yourself), is there a big difference between public and private schools in Montreal? We were impressed by Villa Maria (English section) to the extent that my daughter is preparing right now for the entrance exam. But there is a 50-50 chance that she will get in. From the point of view of someone who finished public school, do they feel that they did not lose anything by not studying in private schools? I guess, being new to this as the OP, I am trying to understand what is the edge that the private schools give, and if there exists any.

For the OP regarding transport: like thousands of middle schoolers in this city, my daughter will be taking public transport. I started getting used to this thought already. 12 years old - it's the category of "youth" here (12-25 yo). They are capable already to take buses - metro trains, it's just us the parents who have hard time with this thought.

Last edited by nuala; 10-10-2014 at 06:18 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
To add/
if you have any specific questions i could ask my daughters or my wife who is a spiritual animator for the LesterB Peirson school board. , She says most English schools have options of Regular English School where you get one French class per day or an immersion program where several classes are taught in French and the program could be as high as 80% french Then theres an enriched program like the IB program at Buerling.
If your daughters future is in Quebec it would be in her best interest to become fully bilingual.
In my opinion, the second language is important, period. Be it in Quebec or wherever the life will take my kids. They spent a year in the French system, yes together with the children of immigrants. Yes, they did not have regular subjects all that year (just the language, phys.ed. and art). Some may say it was a lost year. In my opinion, nothing is grave in Elementary. Now they are back in the English system, but in a school that is 50-50 French. That was important to me. Similarly, we will be choosing a secondary with immersion, or bilingual.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Jambo, may I also ask you a question?

In the opinion of your wife (and your daughters', and yourself), is there a big difference between public and private schools in Montreal? We were impressed by Villa Maria (English section) to the extent that my daughter is preparing right now for the entrance exam. But there is a 50-50 chance that she will get in. From the point of view of someone who finished public school, do they feel that they did not lose anything by not studying in private schools? I guess, being new to this as the OP, I am trying to understand what is the edge that the private schools give, and if there exists any.
My wife and i have come to think the private schools can be a waste of money as when my daughter was attending Sacred Heart we were paying $7000 a year, many of her other friends were also attending Sacred Heart or Vanier college for a similar price, during CEGEP at Dawson and then in college at Concordia she was back with most of her friends who had gone the private route,none of them struck me as being smarter or better off by going to private school in fact my daughters academic achievements have surpassed most of those friends who went to private school.So i'm not sure of the benefits of private schools as from my experience/opinion it doesnt make the kid smarter and i think we saved a lot of money with her decision to switch to Buerling after 2 years at Sacred Heart..

Quote:
(12-25 yo). They are capable already to take buses - metro trains, it's just us the parents who have hard time with this thought.
My older daughter now 25 has worked hard and saved her money and next Wednesday will embark on a 6 week solo tour of Japan/China and Korea My feeling of worry is indescribable,i'm trying to not let it show..

Last edited by jambo101; 10-10-2014 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
My wife and i have come to think the private schools can be a waste of money as when my daughter was attending Sacred Heart we were paying $7000 a year, many of her other friends were also attending Sacred Heart or Vanier college for a similar price, during CEGEP at Dawson and then in college at Concordia she was back with most of her friends who had gone the private route,none of them struck me as being smarter or better off by going to private school in fact my daughters academic achievements have surpassed most of those friends who went to private school.So i'm not sure of the benefits of private schools as from my experience/opinion it doesnt make the kid smarter and i think we saved a lot of money with her decision to switch to Buerling after 2 years at Sacred Heart..
Very grateful for this response. Food for thought...

Quote:
My older daughter now 25 has worked hard and saved her money and next Wednesday will embark on a 6 week solo tour of Japan/China and Korea My feeling of worry is indescribable,i'm trying to not let it show..
This is a whole different level of the same worry...

Old 10-13-2014, 04:32 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Have you thought of a semi-private school, like Royal Vale? It's a very good school and won't cost you an arm and a leg.
http://www.emsb.qc.ca/royalvale/

Old 10-13-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Have you thought of a semi-private school, like Royal Vale? It's a very good school and won't cost you an arm and a leg.
École Royal Vale School
I think it's a public school ? (i.e.= free)

http://www.emsb.qc.ca/emsb_en/school...ls.asp?level=2

Ah, see the yearly fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal