Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 04:53 AM

31 posts, read 46,083 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Could anybody kindly put some more light on the following law available on the following website:

http://www.emsb.qc.ca/en/services_en...tration_en.asp

6. Does the child have a sibling who is attending or has attended the majority of English elementary or secondary school in Canada?

If I admit my one kid in private school, will it possible to get certificate of eligibility for other kids to get admision in a bilingual lbpsb elementary school?

Thanks,

KB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Its IMO a needlessly complex set of rules and regulations. sending a kid to private school doesnt automatically get the child a certificate of eligibility to attend English public school it just means he's passed the point system required to be eligible to go to the private school , this doesnt transfer to other kids.
If you are going to stay in Quebec it might be in the kids best interest to just send them to French school as theres no future being English in Quebec or they will be at an extreme disadvantage not being fluently bilingual once they get to the job hunting stage of life..

Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBGOLD View Post
Hello,

Could anybody kindly put some more light on the following law available on the following website:

http://www.emsb.qc.ca/en/services_en...tration_en.asp

6. Does the child have a sibling who is attending or has attended the majority of English elementary or secondary school in Canada?

If I admit my one kid in private school, will it possible to get certificate of eligibility for other kids to get admision in a bilingual lbpsb elementary school?

Thanks,

KB
It's not an automatic.

The private English school your child goes to has to be totally unsubsidized by the government, so this means it will cost quite a bit. Also I think your child has to go there at least three years in order to apply for a transfer to an English public school. Which has a good chance of getting accepted in this case IMO.

If this happens I believe any siblings can go to English public schools as well.

This seems to be a lot of trouble to go through.

What's the problem with French schools anyway if you are going to be living in Quebec? Regardless of wherever you are from in Canada or the world there are hundreds or even thousands of people like you who send their kids to French schools in Montreal without any problems.

Just saying...

Old 03-08-2015, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not an automatic.

The private English school your child goes to has to be totally unsubsidized by the government, so this means it will cost quite a bit. Also I think your child has to go there at least three years in order to apply for a transfer to an English public school. Which has a good chance of getting accepted in this case IMO.

If this happens I believe any siblings can go to English public schools as well.

This seems to be a lot of trouble to go through.

What's the problem with French schools anyway if you are going to be living in Quebec? Regardless of wherever you are from in Canada or the world there are hundreds or even thousands of people like you who send their kids to French schools in Montreal without any problems.

Just saying...
Thanks for email. My son is in grade 5. He wants to learn Maths and Science in English. He feels that it will be very difficult for him in Grade 5 or 6 to start with French language. So I thought both options for him To learn few subjects in English and few in French. Globally English is more important than French. For Quebec he will learn French and as a professional for anywhere he wants to learn English. Is bilingual option is not more suitable for him and other kids in Quebec?

regards,
KB

Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for email. My son is in grade 5. He wants to learn Maths and Science in English. He feels that it will be very difficult for him in Grade 5 or 6 to start with French language. So I thought both options for him To learn few subjects in English and few in French. Globally English is more important than French. For Quebec he will learn French and as a professional for anywhere he wants to learn English. Is bilingual option is not more suitable for him and other kids in Quebec?

regards,
KB
Not to be blunt but in your last line it seems like you are questioning the societal choices of a place you don't even live in yet.

I am not sure where you are from but regarding the US for example I think they would be well advised to have more gun control and better equality between rich and poor. But I generally keep my views to myself and I certainly don't lecture Americans about this. If I were to move there, I certainly wouldn't start mouthing off about this - at least not before I at least became a citizen.

Anyway, you seem to be pretty good in English and your child is likely already very fluent. With those two factors plus the fact English is easy to learn (and also quite present in Montreal culturally), his future international career would likely not be in jeopardy if he went to French school in Quebec.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not to be blunt but in your last line it seems like you are questioning the societal choices of a place you don't even live in yet.

I am not sure where you are from but regarding the US for example I think they would be well advised to have more gun control and better equality between rich and poor. But I generally keep my views to myself and I certainly don't lecture Americans about this. If I were to move there, I certainly wouldn't start mouthing off about this - at least not before I at least became a citizen.

Anyway, you seem to be pretty good in English and your child is likely already very fluent. With those two factors plus the fact English is easy to learn (and also quite present in Montreal culturally), his future international career would likely not be in jeopardy if he went to French school in Quebec.
OK. I shall send them in French schools.

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
OK. I shall send them in French schools.

Thanks.
I don't actually think you should base your decision on the opinion of me or anyone else on an anonymous forum like this.

Just giving you some facts and food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal