Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM

493 posts, read 385,738 times

Advertisements

Is it really impossible to find a job in Montreal metro area for a non-French speaker? I may immigrate to Quebec from the US in few years' after marrying my partner. I only speak basic/few words of French, but will of course study French at school when as soon as I move to Montreal area and will eventually be fluent after a year or so hopefully. Knowing French, the most beautiful language in the world, is like winning the jackpot for me!

Can I find any type of "office" jobs anywhere in Montreal area, perhaps at an English speaking company, such as in recruiting, business, marketing, HR, etc., perhaps maybe you can speak English at work, calling English speaking clients, etc. until I learn much more French? I don't want to stay-at-home while my partner is the only worker. I do have a college degree. I'm not interested in retail/blue collar jobs unless temporary. I know there are other French speakers looking for jobs; but I have unique background, look professional and great work experience. I currently work in recruiting/HR.

Please give advice!

Old 06-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Anyone please? I see people view it without giving comments.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If you arent coming to Montreal for a couple of years you have ample time to learn French to a very functional degree before even getting here,waiting till you get here to start learning French seems a waste of potential IMO..Take your pick=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...+French+online
As for jobs ? you know what your qualifications are, use Google and search the job market for those jobs you think you will be qualified for.As an example=
http://ca.indeed.com/Human-Resources...tr%C3%A9al,-QC
however be aware almost all those jobs will require a bilingual candidate.
Being a unilingual Anglophone and looking for a job in Quebec will put you at an extreme disadvantage.
As your job now in the USA is recruiting/HR what would you think of an applicant who spoke no English?as it will be similar for you in Quebec speaking no French.

Last edited by jambo101; 06-01-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you arent coming to Montreal for a couple of years you have ample time to learn French to a very functional degree before even getting here,waiting till you get here to start learning French seems a waste of potential IMO..Take your pick=
As for jobs ? you know what your qualifications are, use Google and search the job market for those jobs you think you will be qualified for. Being a unilingual Anglophone and looking for a job in Quebec will put you at an extreme disadvantage.
It's hard to learn French unless I hear people speaking it daily, stay in the country, and see French language signs everywhere. Sure, I can learn more words and basic sentences on my own, but I cannot learn enough French to be able to fully communicate and understand. I don't have time / could afford taking French classes either.

So no person would ever at all hire me until I speak good French?!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
So no person would ever at all hire me until I speak good French?!
I wouldnt make such a blanket statement but considering that most people you will be competing with for a job are already going to be fully Bilingual why are they going to choose you?think about ,you are going to show up for an interview that will almost certainly start off in French and your response will be i dont speak French?!!..next.
Also in that 2 years its going to take you to get here surely you can do more than nothing to improve your French in the interim.
Ultimately Its up to you,how motivated are you to move to Montreal and function in a french milieu?

Old 06-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt make such a blanket statement but considering that most people you will be competing with for a job are already going to be fully Bilingual why are they going to choose you?think about ,you are going to show up for an interview that will almost certainly start off in French and your response will be i dont speak French?!!..next.
Also in that 2 years its going to take you to get here surely you can do more than nothing to improve your French in the interim.
Ultimately Its up to you,how motivated are you to move to Montreal and function in a french milieu?
I fully understand your point, but if the company likes you, have nice background and various experience that is unique and interesting, and willing to learn and become French speaker near future, and most people in the job already speaking English and may communicate/do job with English speakers outside of Quebec, then why not? In America there are people working who speak very little English, and as soon as they started working they picked up English very quick. I know you need French working in the retail/customer service sector, but nothing wrong with not knowing French in the office. I will learn obviously but don't want to be unemployed either. I'm not looking for collecting any welfare assuming I will qualify for unemployment paychecks or social welfare benefits?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:42 PM

123 posts, read 332,506 times
I would suggest you start off from Linkedin and advertise that you are looking for job in Montreal. Then you can target firms that are global or American or IT firms that are international. Here is the list of top employers in montreal.

Montreal's Top Employers

Hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:14 PM

I suppose with some diligent research you might find a small company/business that only deals in English but such companies are few and far between, theres also a legal aspect to consider as bill101 dictates that current language law makes it mandatory for companies with 50 or more employees to impose French as the language of communication in the workplace. The advisory body recommended that the law be extended to small businesses with 26 to 49 employees. ,
And as i understand immigration you wont qualify for any welfare programs for the first 3 years of residence.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
"recruiting, business, marketing, HR,"

Mm. All require client interaction. Therefore, more likely requiring bilinguality.

What you can find purely in English (or with a weak French requirement) is engineering. How about IT? Anything whatsoever, even a 2-year college degree. Even a year course on Android development. Even games testing.

Or any other engineering speciality. You are still "a few years away" from moving? Why not devote these years to a solid technological education?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:26 AM

OP have you ever been to Montreal? as you seem to have a total disconnect about how French the place actually is and how handicapped a unilingual Anglophone will be in the job market,if you think the business world is going to accommodate your total lack of French while you take a few years to learn the language you will be in for some hard times indeed.
I'll post this link again as if your future is in Montreal you gotta make an effort=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal