Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
So you live in Quebec but you don't want your kids to be Quebecois and don't want them to be able to function as productive members of Quebecois society?

I mean...honestly you should probably leave.

OP for choosing to settle in Quebec and wanting your kids to attend English school this is the attitude you will run into frequently..the assimilate or leave attitude,or the why dont you go back where you came from attitude...
Real classy way to welcome new neighbors lex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 PM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
OP for choosing to settle in Quebec and wanting your kids to attend English school this is the attitude you will run into frequently..the assimilate or leave attitude,or the why dont you go back where you came from attitude...
Real classy way to welcome new neighbors lex.
The same neighbour who openly disparages the place he lives in? Again, why would you move somewhere, show open disdain for the people, and then solicit advice to subvert its laws? If you're gonna go to such efforts to not be a part of the society you live in then you might as well leave.

If anything you should be more incensed than I am...it's this type of person that gives Anglos a bad name. These are the types of attitudes that validates laws like Loi 101 and all that "ridiculous" language laws

Last edited by lexdiamondz1902; 08-17-2015 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
The same neighbour who openly disparages the place he lives in? Again, why would you move somewhere, show open disdain for the people, and then solicit advice to subvert its laws? If you're gonna go to such efforts to not be a part of the society you live in then you might as well leave.

If anything you should be more incensed than I am...it's this type of person that gives Anglos a bad name. These are the types of attitudes that validates laws like Loi 101 and all that "ridiculous" language laws
You got all that out of the OPs request for information? seems to me all he was asking for was a way he could send his kids to English school.And you answer his query by commanding him to learn French or leave?.If the guy wants to live in Quebec and not want to be part of the francophone society that should be his decision not yours.
If anyone is giving anyone a bad name your societal intolerance of non francophones doesnt bode well for your francophone offerings and should be a heads up to those non francophones planning to relocate to Quebec as to the prevailing attitudes they maybe subjected to...

Last edited by jambo101; 08-17-2015 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 AM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
You got all that out of the OPs request for information? seems to me all he was asking for was a way he could send his kids to English school.And you answer his query by commanding him to learn French or leave?.If the guy wants to live in Quebec and not want to be part of the francophone society that should be his decision not yours.
If anyone is giving anyone a bad name your societal intolerance of non francophones doesnt bode well for your francophone offerings and should be a heads up to those non francophones planning to relocate to Quebec as to the prevailing attitudes they maybe subjected to...
Ummm he said it himself.

How am I intolerant of non-francophones when I'm an allophone who speaks better English than most anglophones, watch anglophone television, and went to an Anglophone university (in America, mind you)? You've yet to explain that one, jambo...

The only thing I'm "intolerant" of is stupidity. This, is stupid.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:11 AM

How are you intolerant? lets start here=
Quote:
If you're gonna go to such efforts to not be a part of the society you live in then you might as well leave.
Who are you to dictate to people what language they should speak or what society they should or shouldnt strive to be a part of?

Quote:
The only thing I'm "intolerant" of is stupidity. This, is stupid.
Ops trying to find a way to admit his kid to English School in Quebec is stupid?
or my defending the ops right to free choice is stupid?
or both?

Last edited by jambo101; 08-18-2015 at 05:23 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Who are you to dictate to people what language they should speak or what society they should or shouldnt strive to be a part of?
He's being blunt but he's not saying GTFO. He's strongly suggesting that the OP probably won't be happy in Quebec long-term given his expectations and attitudes. Which sounds like it might be true, TBQH.

Plus, lex doesn't even live in Quebec, AFAIK.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Ops trying to find a way to admit his kid to English School in Quebec is stupid?
or my defending the ops right to free choice is stupid?
or both?
It's more than that. The OP said his wife doesn't want their kid(s) to learn Québécois French, which is both ignorant and, yes, intolerant.

Kind of like saying that you live in Detroit but don't want your kids to mix with African-Americans because, you know... how *those people* talk...

Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Strange. Is she really francophone (as in French is her mother tongue)? She would know that it is the same French that is taught in Quebec and France schools.

It's as if I moved to the US and didn't want my kids to pick up an American accent. And decided to send them to school in Swahili or Turk.

O-kay...
This is very true as well.

I believe the OP once said that his wife is from West Africa (somewhere like Sénégal). If she has lived in Montreal even for a short while as a francophone she will have exposure to the myriad of different ways French is spoken in the city. Yes, Québécois French is the dominant form but it there are many levels of it and the way it is spoken by the middle and upper classes is perfectly acceptable to anyone who does not have irrational prejudices against it.

And as you say, there is no such thing as a course specifically in Québécois French in a public or private school in Montreal. There is no separate Québécois Grévisse grammar book nor is there is a separate Bescherelle dictionary of verbs.

It is the same French.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
He's being blunt but he's not saying GTFO. He's strongly suggesting that the OP probably won't be happy in Quebec long-term given his expectations and attitudes. Which sounds like it might be true, TBQH.

Plus, lex doesn't even live in Quebec, AFAIK.
Those reading Lex's posts still have the freedom to come to their own conclusions to the meaning of his viewpoints which in my opinion certainly sounds like strive to be French or leave.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Those reading Lex's posts still have the freedom to come to their own conclusions to the meaning of his viewpoints which in my opinion certainly sounds like strive to be French or leave.
Even assuming that this is the case, as Lex doesn't live in Quebec, it's not so much about him being part of the "we" that wants to have their own French-only kingdom, as it is about him giving blunt and frank advice to people about how unwise it is to always swim against the local current where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal