Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,465 times

Advertisements

I was born in Nova Scotia but within a year after my birth my family decided to move to the US in NYC. Having lived all over the US, I now have an interest in returning "home" to Canada but have some basic questions about Montreal in general:

I noticed the rents compared to other locations is substantially lower - Why is that? Is it economic or just geographic in terms of location, lack of jobs, higher taxes, more unemployment. I am very curious as there seems to be good deals posted on Craigslist and other realty websites in comparison to say, Vancouver or Toronto..etc

Unfortunately, I do not speak French. I understand this will be an issue in Montreal, especially concerning work. I also have read that Parisan French is different then Quebec French which is understandable. being proactive, and wanting to learn as much as I can before making the relocation, is there anywhere online to learn the Canadian (Quebec version of French)? - I have looked on Memrise and also some programs like Rosetta Stone or audio ones like Pimsluer.....but I do believe they cater to the Parisan version.

As an English only speaker (For now as I will learn as much as possible) where are the best areas in Montreal I should consider renting?

Finally, from what I have read concerning rents, it is customary to ONLY have to pay a months rent and no deposit & last months as opposed to the US? Is this correct and still considered the general practice or does it vary based on the owner and tenant. In my case, i would be moving and eventually finding work but have excellent credit in the US (score) and no criminal record, non-smoking, no kids and also no debt with savings in USD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:24 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Low rents: the population of Montreal isn't growing as quickly as Toronto's or Vancouver's. Vancouver is also in a property bubble at the moment.

Where to live: I guess the island would be better for an anglophone, more diversity. There are student ghettos near the English universities (McGill, Concordia) where there are many anglophones. Mile End and Notre-Dame-de-Grâce have a lot of anglophones. The suburbs west of the island have many anglophones: Côte-St-Luc and Hampstead, Pointe-Claire, Dorval, Beaconsfield. Depends upon how suburban you're willing to be.

Deposits and first/last month's rent: These aren't legal in Montreal, although some landlords might still try to charge you. It's not legal or obligatory, though.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
French lessons: if you are an extreme beginner in French even if you learn Parisian or France French it won't really make a difference as you are only going to be mastering the basics at the start. Keep in mind Montreal is diverse and there are several hundred thousand people in the city walking around speaking European (or at least international French). There are also several hundred thousand people who speak French with a decidedly anglo accent. The main challenge will be understanding colloquial conversations that you aren't involved in, as a) written French is basically the same, b) people will always understand your Parisian as they hear it all the time and c) most people will speak less colloquially if they notice your accent, or switch to English.

Anglo neighbourhoods: yes there are quite a few of them but keep in mind that most of the people living there also know French. So your not knowing French will only very occasionally be an issue in practical everyday life, but you will competing with them for jobs and they have an advantage over you as they are bilingual.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
What kind of work will you be looking for.
?

Old 10-08-2015, 02:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
As you know no French whats the attraction to Montreal and not other parts of Canada?

Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Ever since visiting Montreal over the summer, I have been brushing up on my French that I learned in high school. I have been using an online program called Duolingo which is GREAT! I have been spending about an hour or so everyday for the past two months, and my French has improved quite a bit. While I knew some French before starting, there are many people on there who start from scratch. The program is FREE and fun. You can even get an app for it, but the full computer version is better, imho.

Check it out. www.duolingo.com

PS. I have no affiliation with this program - just a satisfied user.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 2,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What kind of work will you be looking for.
?
I work freelance online plus I have substantial savings and some investment which pay dividends. However, once I am settled I would inquire about any full time positions. No real specifics but I have a background in IT and have several industry standard certifications plus a grad degree I am currently completing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As you know no French whats the attraction to Montreal and not other parts of Canada?
I live in Europe for awhile so the vibe and atmosphere seems very familiar. I am also a veteran musician, so having access to this creative market would be a major plus as I have studied and played jazz to classical..etc....so having clubs and venues to not only play and view live shows would be most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Ever since visiting Montreal over the summer, I have been brushing up on my French that I learned in high school. I have been using an online program called Duolingo which is GREAT! I have been spending about an hour or so everyday for the past two months, and my French has improved quite a bit. While I knew some French before starting, there are many people on there who start from scratch. The program is FREE and fun. You can even get an app for it, but the full computer version is better, imho.

Check it out. www.duolingo.com

PS. I have no affiliation with this program - just a satisfied user.
Thank you - I have been using them as well as Memrise. Both are free and are excellent resources. So many languages are now available and switching back and forth between both sites provides a solid base of exercises visual ques. I have been using Pimsluer as well when I do not have access to the internet and my laptop.

Does anyone know if it is customary to have secure employment prior to renting a place? I had responded to an ad on Craigslist for a place and a property manager mentioned: " I would need a co-signer, preferably someone that resides here" in order to rent the place or put in an application."
If I am relocating, especially from abroad this would make things more complicated. I would assume this is more common with property management firms as in the US in some states it is also common. When I lived in the Netherlands for a year, an established property management firm did not have this requirement. I am curious is this common in other parts of Canada?

Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,285 times
Deposit are illegal in Quebec. Therefore only rent are required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal