Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,017 times

Advertisements

Im willing to learn french but If I move to Montreal how difficult would it be to get a job? Im 22, Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurship from US University, have experience in various industries but the experience is all self employment related.

My primary income will be through freelancing and my online business. I however will need a job for the next 4 months so I have some income to support my expenses. Any idea how difficult or competitive it would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 01:57 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
You do know you cannot just show up in Canada and stay there right?
Contact the Canadian Embassy or do some research online and find what requirements you need to legally immigrate.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
My daughter has a bachelors degree in environmental science from Concordia University,she is fully bilingual and shes having a tough time finding a quality full time job, at the moment she works a part time telephone dispatch job which she hates,shes putting out half a dozen cvs a week with no luck so far..

Personally i think you will have a tough time of it as you'll have to compete for jobs with people who are already here and are already bilingual. I think your job prospects would increase if you focused your search in some of the bigger cities in Ontario rather than Quebec. Whats drawing you to Montreal?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My daughter has a bachelors degree in environmental science from Concordia University,she is fully bilingual and shes having a tough time finding a quality full time job, at the moment she works a part time telephone dispatch job which she hates,shes putting out half a dozen cvs a week with no luck so far..

Personally i think you will have a tough time of it as you'll have to compete for jobs with people who are already here and are already bilingual. I think your job prospects would increase if you focused your search in some of the bigger cities in Ontario rather than Quebec. Whats drawing you to Montreal?
With a BS in environmental science, she can pretty much land a job with any engineering firm that deals with utilities, road projects, etc. There should be a number of consultant firms willing to hire her.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
With a BS in environmental science, she can pretty much land a job with any engineering firm that deals with utilities, road projects, etc. There should be a number of consultant firms willing to hire her.
Thanks for the advice but For some reason those jobs arent as plentiful as you may think.
She is now 3 years since graduation, She puts out quite a few applications to various jobs that she finds interesting, she is 27,good looking,well educated,fully bilingual,no bad habits and a solid work history since high school with full time part time jobs while she was going to school at Harveys,La Ronde,Second Cup and a summer in the lab at the Montreal General.
I dont envy todays youth as getting a job these days can be tough.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:51 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Yeah... Only in IT one can prosper these days... Without much French, too...

Old 09-01-2016, 10:01 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thanks for the advice but For some reason those jobs arent as plentiful as you may think.
She is now 3 years since graduation, She puts out quite a few applications to various jobs that she finds interesting, she is 27,good looking,well educated,fully bilingual,no bad habits and a solid work history since high school with full time part time jobs while she was going to school at Harveys,La Ronde,Second Cup and a summer in the lab at the Montreal General.
I dont envy todays youth as getting a job these days can be tough.
Yup, it's a struggle all around these days for a Millennial to get ahead in life. Best of luck to her.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You do know you cannot just show up in Canada and stay there right?
Contact the Canadian Embassy or do some research online and find what requirements you need to legally immigrate.
You're right, but the OP didn't specify his country of citizenship. Could be a Canadian who studied in the USA. Since he has "Toronto" in his username, I'm guessing that could well be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal