Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:46 PM

242 posts, read 300,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Too bad. Italian is another Romance language mainly derived from Latin with many more similarities to French than English. It would probably have been easier for a native Italian speaker to get acclimated with French than English but now we'll never know.
Many ended up learning both languages because they teach French in the English school system and you need it if you ever hope to find a good job here. My father speaks both languages fluently as do many of the immigrants who came as children and did a fair bit of their schooling here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 01:05 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are there quite a number of storefront churches in Montreal?
I wouldn't say there is a lot but you will see some in certain parts of the city. It is more common for small groups to rent churches or spaces in bigger churches.

Sometimes one group will buy a church from an older denomination (If they are big enough and can afford it). This Church is now a seventh day Adventist Church, it was once a Presbyterian. It is a very nice old building.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.48225...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.48173...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-04-2016, 04:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are there quite a number of storefront churches in Montreal?
Certainly not like Mississippi.
On a recent trip through the state of Mississippi i was struck by the number of small churches, they seemed to be everywhere in buildings ranging from garages to peoples basements to full size complexes, here in Quebec its mostly large older churches built by Catholic interests although there are some smaller more modern affairs like the church i attend=
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/56555837.jpg
IMO the practice of going to church seems a bygone endeavor as most young people these days just arent interested in religion.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:06 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
Many ended up learning both languages because they teach French in the English school system and you need it if you ever hope to find a good job here. My father speaks both languages fluently as do many of the immigrants who came as children and did a fair bit of their schooling here.
Obviously, some of the immigrants did learn French back in the old days.

But many did not (or at last learned it very superficially). These people were disproportionately represented in the "anglo exodus" that happened post-1976.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 PM

189 posts, read 195,674 times
It used to not to because of the Traditional Latin Mass. One single authentic Catholic mass that unites the whole world. The disaster of Vatican II took care of that. The new mass in the Catholic church is so watered down. I hope the Latin Mass is present in Montreal now.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:44 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
It used to not to because of the Traditional Latin Mass. One single authentic Catholic mass that unites the whole world. The disaster of Vatican II took care of that. The new mass in the Catholic church is so watered down. I hope the Latin Mass is present in Montreal now.
Not many masses in Latin in Montreal these days.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Those two churches I mentioned were built before Vatican II. Clearly they were not united. Not to mention all those ethnic parishes in US before Vatican II. The Irish and the Italians and the Poles didn't worship together in the US before Vatican II, even when they all had been here long enough to speak English.

Can't have it both ways, brother. Do you believe that the Holy Spirit guides the Church? Then you must accept Vatican II. If you do not believe that the Holy Spirit guides the Church, then you may reject Vatican II, and indeed you may reject the very idea of magisterium and all that goes with it while you are at it, but then where does that leave you?

The vernacular Mass is no more and no less "watered down" than the Latin Mass. Whether a Mass is "watered down" depends on the participants and what they bring to the table, not the language the Mass is in.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:12 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Examples of what has happened to former Catholic churches in Montreal.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/w...T.nav=top-news

Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 PM

631 posts, read 562,974 times
St Peter's is an Anglo Catholic church. Pope John Paul II raised its status to basilica to give something Anglophone Montrealers could call their own (Francophone Catholics already had a lot of their *own* prominent Catholic institutions). BTW, les Petits chanteurs du Mont-Royal (Oratoire St-Joseph) came to the Cathedral of St Matthew the Apostle in downtown Washington, DC and performed after a noon mass in the summer of 2015. The little ones performed entirely in French. It was lovely!!! The group was touring the U.S. Eastern seaboard.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:41 AM

505 posts, read 393,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
I can't speak for the Lithuanians but I can for the Italians. My father and his family arrived in Montreal in the 60s and the French did not accept the Italian immigrants at all. Most of them wound up in the English school system and so the Italian community became predominantly English speaking.

Italians have no problems with French in France, I guess they don't have many problems with formal French Canadian. The problem is that informal, colloquial French Canadian sounds very strange, a different language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal