Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 04:50 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,430,764 times

Advertisements

I even created a spreadsheet. Calculated yearly expenses for "a new car", "a used car", "communauto" and "a rental car". Renting a car always comes out as the best option. I live close to downtown where I work (short bus ride or 40-min walk). To go everywhere in the city I feel (after trying to take a taxi ride, and driving myself, sitting with other cars in traffic jams in our underwhelming arteries) that the public transport is the best option: there are no traffic jams underground in the subway.

Renting a car comes up on top as the most economical option, because with used cars there is an allowance for unpredictable mechanical problems, and with new cars there is a premium of either paying more on the outset, or having monthly payments. Both options include extra expenses for auto insurance, CAA, that extra drive "to go somewhere" since the car is sitting under your windows, and an incentive to buy more..... since the greater Montreal shopping centers suddenly become more accessible. With Communauto, there is a premium of $500 donating them temporarily, otherwise they are on par with rental prices.

I feel I need to rent a car about twice a month, for 1 or 2 days each time, to do bulkier shopping or go on day-trips to zoos, water parks, or remote museums. I also include two longer trips a year, to the tune of $500 each worth of car rental.

Apart from that intangible feeling of "owning" a car... which easily (for me) dissipates when I look at the spreadsheet and see how much the same money could do if invested.... I feel that renting a car while living in Mtl, is better for me.

(Plus, when renting, I always test-drive different vehicles, (you never know what you gonna get, I like the anticipation) and they are always new (1-2 year old). If I buy used.... looking at this clunker for another 3-5 years.... The new one - OK, it is new, but still same one....)

But, maybe, I am forgetting about *something* and not taking into account *something* - ? Am I wrong somewhere in my calculations?

Last edited by nuala; 04-08-2017 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,920,120 times
Okay, I'll give you the flip side of the coin now.

I'm 51 years old, turning 52 next month.
I've been driving since I was 16 years old. I've owned a car since I was 18 years old.

The car that I'm driving now was bought new... in 2006. So it's 11 years old.

I'm moving to Ottawa in less than 2 months. Insurance is much more expensive there, but let's put that aside.
The cost of car registration is no big deal, so let's put that aside too.

I work from home so I only use my car for "me" stuff -- shopping, visiting someone, etc. -- not to commute to work.

I have winter tires on my car all year because for the number of kilometers I put on in a year (very few), even my trusted garage dude told me it's a waste to swap out the tires. Sure, the winters get worn out a LITTLE bit sooner so I have to replace them a LITTLE sooner, but it's still costing less than the twice-yearly tire swap.

Bottom line: I *think* that I've decided that when this car develops some big issue that requires a big $$$ repair, I'm going to stop owning a car. People have tried to talk me out of it ("you'll miss your independence" etc.) but I think that it's such a waste. I can take a cab or Uber to go shopping. When I want to come to Montreal to visit, I can rent a car. Is it giving away my independence? I don't think so -- I'm not *depending* on someone; I'm just depending on the Uber guy knowing how to get there. Yeah, if I realize, right after I get home from grocery shopping, that I forgot onions and I *need* onions for what I'm making, it's a pain to call Uber again. But it's just as much of a pain to get into my car and go get them.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it if you *really* want it, but after 30+ years of car ownership and with the new conveniences (Uber, Communauto) available, I feel done. If those conveniences were not as convenient, I wouldn't consider giving it up. But they are, so...

Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,099,295 times
If you only use a car once or twice a month and you live downtown i'd think the hassles of parking alone would dissuade any one from car ownership. Renting a car when needed eliminates a plethora of problems and expenses that come with car ownership.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:09 PM

55 posts, read 51,310 times
Why don't you consider one of those CAR 2 go cars? You rent them by the Minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal