Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,361,672 times

Advertisements

I thought I would post while it was all still fresh in my mind.

We had a wonderful trip. The location of the Hyatt was perfect for us as we like to walk and were able to do so for just about everything. The people were remarkably friendly and nice and very good about speaking English -- although I did try to offer a few butchered French phrases to show my respect for the language and culture.

Old Town Montreal was lovely in my opinion. Yes there were a lot of tourists but the buildings and streets and history were all so interesting -- a real treasure. We are kind of history nerds so we had a private 3 hour walking tour that was FILLED with interesting tidbits about your rich history. We loved the History and Archeology museum -- truly first rate. We also went to some other smaller museums that caught our fancy and found they were all well done. We loved the walking path along the river and the many small parks throughout the city. We also enjoyed the cafe culture -- so many good pastries and good coffee.

Of course The Basilicia is just magnificent -- truly one of a kind. We went to Mass on Sunday so we were able to hear the fabulous choir. We also attended the Aura light show one evening and we though that was worthwhile. We missed the organ show at 2:30 most days but we did hear the organ during a private tour -- would have loved to hear the one hour long organ recital tho. Next time!

We went to Jean Talon market and that was fun -- wonderful food and a great atmosphere. The Just For Laughs festival was right next to our hotel so we strolled among the crowds several days and it was a real party atmosphere. It was VERY loud though and we had to move our hotel room because the party goes on until 3 am and we prefer to sleep during those hours.

We were very impressed with the subway system -- easy to use -- fast and efficient and seems to hit all the major areas of the city. It was very reasonable also. Mont Royal was lovely and we took the bus to the top and then hiked down.

I was surprised at the heat the first two days -- only 81 but the humidity was awful! It did cool down though and I much prefer the mid-70's for walking about.

We will return because we ran out of time to see everything on our list. Thank you again for all the kind suggestions -- we really benefited from all the good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,033,635 times
Its hard to have a bad time with everything Montreal has to offer,glad you enjoyed our city

Old 07-26-2017, 12:26 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,498,108 times
I hope you return, bring some of your friends/family with you. The more the merrier!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,882,870 times
As someone on the Massachusetts forum always says when someone visits Boston: "You're only a stranger here once." Glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 PM

9,764 posts, read 15,707,398 times
Sounds like a great visit. We went to Canada two summers in a row because we loved Montréal so much! Such a lively city! When we were in Toronto last summer, it was 93 degrees! And we thought we'd be getting away from the heat!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM

28 posts, read 43,825 times
Glad to hear the OP had a good time. Montreal is my favourite place to visit. My girlfriend and I will spend a few days there in the early fall and will check out those attractions (Jean-Talon Market, Old Montreal, etc.) mentioned by the OP and possibly spend an afternoon at the Botanical Gardens.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 PM

550 posts, read 634,315 times
Hi OP! Would you mind sharing the name of the company you did the private walking tour through?
Thanks!

Old 08-02-2017, 11:06 AM

1,240 posts, read 1,361,672 times
Yes -- it was CONTEXT Tours. It was $134 American for two people. In my opinion, however, it was TOO long and too much information. The day was very hot and basically it was like a 3 hour walking lecture by your high school history teacher -- after the first 1 1/2 hours I was sort of zoning out to be quite honest. Too many facts -- dates etc. I would have prefered something more informal and cultural -- with perhaps stops at a cafe to try an almond croissant -- at least a stop to get an iced tea! My husband loves museums and history but it was too much even for him.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,370,336 times
Visiting Montreal is always fun. One of the few places where my partner turned to me after one day there and said. I like this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal