Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 04:26 PM

28 posts, read 31,841 times

Advertisements

I would love to retire and live in Quebec. Is it difficult to manage that if we are retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 02:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
To do this and derive all the benefits Canada has to offer you would have to acquire permanent resident status. Some points to ponder =Retiring in Canada | Living Abroad in Canada

Old 10-03-2017, 03:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenfoster View Post
I would love to retire and live in Quebec. Is it difficult to manage that if we are retired?
If you want to live there for more than half the year you have to apply for a residency, and this is more difficult for Canada than it is for many other countries. When I inquired I was told quite rudely by the woman who answered the phone, "Don't even bother," as soon as she heard retired. I was stunned that this was the end of it. And it was, she said goodbye and hung up.

Perhaps she was having a bad hair day.

The link already posted would seem to indicate that it is not really that cut and dried.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:43 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Based on what I read and hear Canada seems like a more difficult country for people to retire to than most western countries.

I wonder if that isn't more about a deeply ingrained mindset that no one can fathom than someone would want to retire to Canada (that rubs off on government policy), as opposed to a political and administrative hostility to foreign retirees.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Based on what I read and hear Canada seems like a more difficult country for people to retire to than most western countries.

I wonder if that isn't more about a deeply ingrained mindset that no one can fathom than someone would want to retire to Canada (that rubs off on government policy), as opposed to a political and administrative hostility to foreign retirees.
Maybe, but adding more elderly to an already ageing population, would put more strain on healthcare and other services. These older immigrants won't be contributing tax wise as much as a younger working immigrant would.

I say this as an older person who is no longer contributing taxes as much as a younger working person would.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Maybe, but adding more elderly to an already ageing population, would put more strain on healthcare and other services. These older immigrants won't be contributing tax wise as much as a younger working immigrant would.

I say this as an older person who is no longer contributing taxes as much as a younger working person would.
Agreed, so I wonder how countries with Euro-style social programs like France and Spain deal with the influx of British retirees who have little employment income but use those countries' services for a good part of the year.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agreed, so I wonder how countries with Euro-style social programs like France and Spain deal with the influx of British retirees who have little employment income but use those countries' services for a good part of the year.
They have agreements.

"Tony Stone has retired to Spain and relies on the current rules whereby the NHS reimburses UK pensioners for treatment in another country."

Now under threat because of Brexit.

When Brexit was first announced, one of my first thoughts were all the expats living on the continent. They must be quite angry that their best laid plans have been possibly destroyed. Even residency requirement will probably change.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-after-brexit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal